• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layer doesn't move or snaps back using move tool

Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to move a layer in my psd file with the move tool it moves a bit but then snaps back to the original place or close to it. The layer will move using the arrow keys just fine, just not with the move tool.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , May 22, 2018 May 22, 2018

Version is 19.1.4. Seems to be the most current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

An update on our issue, Forcepoint was recently updated to 8.5.2854 and the issue has been fixed. This also includes an issue regarding copying/pasting layer groups which would crash Photoshop previous to this Forcepoint update. Hope this helps!

-Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mwbonesteel,

We're really sorry for all the trouble. Could you please let us know the exact version of Photoshop you are using now? Open Creative Cloud desktop app and check if there are any pending updates for Photoshop.

Regards,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version is 19.1.4. Seems to be the most current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2018 May 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What have you done for trouble-shooting so far?

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Mohit,

This is a problem that still persists and two of my coworkers are experiencing the same issue (one of which started this thread). All my Apps are fully up to date from CC, I have no third party plugins running, etc. Could it be the most recent update that is causing this? See my video in this thread to see the issue we are having. Would a full uninstall/reinstall fix this issue?

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind on the unistall/reinstall... we tried that and the issue persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue with Photoshop CC 2015. Have reset all tools and updated Photoshop, still having the same problem. Any solutions? I can't do my work until I get this fixed, I work with layers a lot and at the moment they just snap back to the original position (it's not the snap feature either, have checked that).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Have you changed anything between now and the last time it worked? Updated anything? Added anything? And, if you could

post a screenshot of your open Photoshop window so we can see what you are looking at, that would be great.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, what is particular in your setup?

Are you woking with a graphic tablet?

Is the stylus laying on or close to the tablet, and you are using the mouse?

Do you have such problem entering text, or in any other application?

Meyboom, did you try to update to a recent version of Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It started happening midway through working on a photo, so I thought I may have accidentally hit a shortcut key. So I reset all tools and preferences. Since it happened I have updated my PS to the latest version and still happens.

I use an external wireless mouse, I've tried a different mouse and also tried the trackpad. Happens on all of them and only when working in Photoshop, no other programs.

Here is a screenshot of my setup too, like I said everything has been reset so I can't see any problems.

PS.jpeg

Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How far are you trying to move it?  I know sometimes when I'm moving something,  sometimes, if I move the cursor off to the side too far or over the to the sidebar, it'll bounce back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a really good question. If you do move your cursor off the document into the side area it will snap back. What happens when you choose Select all and then try to move it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't even get it near the side of the document before it snaps back, within a split second of me dragging it it will move back to the original position. Same for select all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to hear that! I know that this sounds simple--(but sometimes the simple things work!)--have you tried clicking on the lock icon and clicking off it again? If you've already poked everything, then I would suggest trying to reset your tool preferences

Here is one way the staff recommended to do it:

Please try to reset the preference of the tools in Photoshop.

Right click on the tool at the top left

Reset all tools

Try resetting tool prefs and if that doesn't work, you can also try resetting the photoshop preferences.

If you do reset your Photoshop Prefs, remember to restart Photoshop.

Let us know how it works!

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I posted the original problem. Since then, one of my co-workers has been affected by the same issue. Maybe a bug in the OS?

Meyboom, are you on a Mac or PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michelle, Yes I've tried resetting the tool and also photoshop preferences. Nothing has helped.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your hardware setup, then? Are you on a Mac or a PC? What kind of peripherals are attached to the computer?

Have you tried a system refresh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Mac, High Sierra, version 10.13.4.

It happens if it is docked using external monitor or if I'm using the Mac by itself.

Might have to try reinstalling Photoshop, see if this helps but won't be able to do that until Monday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, any third party software running? Anything peculiar in your setup, hardware, or software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, it's my work computer so everything is approved by IT and unable to run anything which could be a security issue. I have adobe and microsoft office plus whatever comes already with a Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any security related software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or any company related software that you transfer files back & forth from? I mean, I know in my design job,  my Photoshop and InDesign has moments of severe lagging,  mainly due to our company's software that we use for artists to work on ads & to pull it from our queue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2018 Jun 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the issue when trying to move Objects, Text, etc. where that object snaps back to the original location. It is one solid drag. I am not releasing my mouse. The only way I can avoid this happening is if I do a Free Transform but it is annoying and inefficient to have to do that for everything. I have the most up to date version of Adobe CC and this started happening prior to this update and still resumes. I also do not have any Snap features selected to make it do this.

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My colleagues have been also experiencing this now. I finally re-imaged my whole Mac and reinstalled everything which now seems to have fixed it. However this is a bit excessive and hopefully won't come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, are you all using the mouse? some affected users with a tablet had to restart the Wacom driver to fix this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines