• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Layers in photoshop 2021 not working

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2023 Apr 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having issues with dragging in a new file to create a layer. i havent been able to find anything on the topic. every time i drag in a file from my files app it creates a whole new photoshop file instead of adding it to the current one im working on as a new layer. 

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @JACKSON29393098sw45 how are you dragging it in to the existing document? Can you record a screen recording of the process?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to the topics I'm hoping you're using Windows. To drag files from File Explorer:

• Drag onto the canvas to open as a layer in the current image.
  • Drag into the Layers panel to open as a new image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my issue, I am using Windows, and every time I drag the image into the layers panel it always opens in a new Photoshop file instead of my same panel. I was unable to understand what you did in the video and when trying to drag the bar at the top it does nothing but move the order of the open files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i apologise i just figured out it only  does this with jpegs as I'm unable to drop them into the file 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry. I thought with the steps written and a video it might be clear enough what I was doing. 

I can drop any JPG, PNG into an existing file if i drag it onto the canvas.

I can create a new image completely if I drop a JPG, PNG into the Layers Panel. 

Unlike @Bojan Živković I don't drag into the title bar of the image because that kind of mouse control is difficult for me. I always try and find the easy way if I can. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can drag JPEG or other format in Photoshop. Wrong conclusion that JPEG format is causing to open as new document. It depend where you drop dragged file, please watch GIF below for visual explanation.

drag jpeg into ps.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines