Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom & Photoshop color doesn't match | same Color Workspace

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

my colors of Lightroom and Photoshop doesn't match. I'm working on both in Adobe RGB and no Color Profiles (Adobe color).
Open file in LR "Edit in PS" and save in Photoshop - the colors have changed dramatically.

LR-RAW-vs-PSD.JPG

Win 10 / x86

LR classic version: 10.3

PS version: 22.4.2 20210602.r.242 a4f6042 x64

ACR version: 13.3.0.807

I also add in the Color Management the monitor profile " sRGB IEC61966-2.1 " with "Use my settings" checked and setted it to default (for both monitors). I also added a virtual sRGB version.

But the problem is still there (of course after a newstart every time I changed something).
And ideas? Would be so great, if you could help me!LR-Preferences_External Editing.JPGPS2021_Color-Settings.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 30, 2021 Jul 30, 2021

Hm, that's strange. Then we're back to the monitor profile.

Double-check it, and remember to relaunch Photoshop and Lightroom whenever you change monitor profile. The profile is loaded at application startup, and the same profile is used for the entire session even if changed on system level. That change isn't picked up until next relaunch.

Again, just change the profile in the "Devices" section, using sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Don't go into the "Advanced" section, there's nothing there that needs

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Okay now it workes!

1) The Default profiles must stay in Preset folder:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings\Adobe\Presets\Defaults

CameraProfiles_Presets-Defaults.JPG

2) All the profiles from the Program-Data folder must be copied to

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

kathrins38782390_0-1627764370915.png

3) All folders from step 2 copied into this path:

C:\Users\schie\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

Now the profiles works in LR and in ACR as well 

And I would also like to linkt to this case:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw/adobe-camera-raw-missing-camera-profiles/td-p/10087240

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving thread to the Photoshop ecosystem forum from Using the Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot set the Color Space in Lightroom as you can in Photoshop. The Library Modules uses Adobe RGB, and the Develop Modules uses soemthing very similar to ProPhoto RGB (Melissa RGB), which is a reason why things don't always match.

warmly/j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that's not the reason if they don't match. These applications are fully color managed, which means any profile, any color space, will be correctly represented. And if they are all correct, they will obviously be identical.

For the same reason, there is no need to "match" Lightroom and Photoshop, even if it were possible (which it isn't).

Usually a mismatch is a symptom of a defective monitor profile. That can affect applications differently. It all ends up in the same monitor profile, but if the source data are different, the math is different, and it may work in one but fail in another.

But in this case, I suspect the OP is using a custom/third-party camera profile in Lightroom. There is a bug in Lightroom that prevents these profiles from being correctly transferred to ACR > Photoshop, and so it comes into Photoshop looking differently. If this is it, try with the standard/native camera profiles (Adobe Color etc). These profiles are not affected by this bug.

Oh, and kathrins, don't touch the "virtual device" profiles in Windows. Leave them alone. They are not icc-spec profiles, and they have a different purpose. The one you want is sRGB IEC61966-2.1, and only that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using the camera profile Adobe color as described above... Could there be a hidden embedded profile anywhere?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Profile: Adobe Color

LR-camera-profile_adobe-color.JPG

and I tried this settings both:

- Raw Defaults: Adobe Default

- Raw Defaults: Override global settings checked

LR-preference_presets_Raw-defaults.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2021 Dec 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shouldn't be this much difficulty with profiling and mismatching.

I do wonder if this has more to do with you using newer ICC profile system, ICC v4 or newer 4.2, yes, despite you got it working another way.

Newer ICC have compatability issues with certain programs, that is why I'm sticking with old v2 and never have any problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm, that's strange. Then we're back to the monitor profile.

Double-check it, and remember to relaunch Photoshop and Lightroom whenever you change monitor profile. The profile is loaded at application startup, and the same profile is used for the entire session even if changed on system level. That change isn't picked up until next relaunch.

Again, just change the profile in the "Devices" section, using sRGB IEC61966-2.1. Don't go into the "Advanced" section, there's nothing there that needs to be changed. This is the standard screenshot I usually post:

Displayprofile_50_1.png

One more thing: is this a laptop with an external connected display? It can sometimes happen with this configuration that the wrong profile is used for each display, even if the profiles themselves are good. This has been a big problem with iMacs/MBPs lately.

Just so we're clear: the real fix for monitor profile issues is to use a calibrator. But if you don't have one, sRGB is the standard fallback and usually close enough for non-critical use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, you MUST do such comparisons visually in Develop module only at 1:1 or greater, along with Photoshop at the identical zoom ratio. You can't 'zoom out' as each will subsample down differently. 

If that still provides a mismatch, you can try disabling GPU in one or both applications and check again. 

If that still doesn't work, I agree; it is your display profile. 

Recalibrate and build a new ICC display profile, the old one might be corrupted.
If you are using software/hardware for this task, be sure the software is set to build a matrix not LUT profile, Version 2 not Version 4 profile.
If turning OFF GPU works, it's a GPU bug and you need to contact the manufacturer or find out if there's an updated driver for it. 
Also see: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/acr-gpu-faq.html

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay,

GPU - no difference (color is different)

• I disabled the GPU in Lightroom first (restart LR & PS)
  • I enabled the GPU in Lightroom and disabled in PS (restart LR & PS)
  • I turned the GPU off in LR & PS (restart both)

100% View 1:1 - color ist different and also the histogram

left is the RAW |  right is RAW opend in PS and saved

LR-Histogram_raw.JPGLR-Histogram_psd.JPG

Monitor Calibration

• Monitor was calibrated in the morning (Eizo CS2420 with ColorNavigator 7, ICC Profile Matrix v4.2, SpyderPro 5)

ColorNavigator_ICC-Profile.JPG
  • deleted the color Management profiles
  • set color management profiles of boths (laptop monitor & Eizo) to sRGB IEC61966-2 (restarted LR & PS - no change)
  • after deleting custom profiles I  calibrated again (Eizo CS2420 with ColorNavigator 7, ICC Profile Matrix v4.2, SpyderPro 5) - no difference, color change still there

Bridge / LR / PS

• Colors of the RAW + PSD-file in Bridge looks the same, as in Photoshop and as the psd-file in LR
  • Only the LR RAW file looks different in color & histogram
  • Softproof in LR (sRGB, Adobe RGB, P3 = everything looks identical, no difference in the view, other self installed profiles work)

This is the psd + raw view in Bridge

BR_RAW-vs-PSD.JPG

Again, left is psd-file in LR | right the RAW in Lightroom

LR-RAW-vs-PSD.JPG

Histogram in Lightroom: left the psd in LR (more greenish) - right histogram RAW in LR (warmer)

LR-Histogram_psd.JPGLR-Histogram_raw.JPG

Do you have any other ideas?

I do work with Win 10..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The histograms not useful, they will always mismatch due to how LR draws it's Histogram and based on the underlying color space you're not using in Photoshop. 

The screen captures you are showing of the two girls; they were made when previewed at 1:1/100%?

Would it be possible for you to upload (to maybe Dropbox or similar), a DNG you save out of LR with your edits so we can view in Lightroom Classic, then render  out and view in Photoshop? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 31, 2021 Jul 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, that the histograms can't be the same because of LR ProPhoto RGB and Photoshop Adobe RGB - that's only to show, that there is a color shifting (does not make andy sense)

That are the images in RAW 100% (left, first)  and PSD 100% (second)

LR-RAW_100%.JPG

LR-PSD_100%.JPG

I exported the RAW in LR to a DNG file:

dng-file-settings.JPG

and reimported it to LR. The DNG looks simular to the RAW in LR and also looks simular if I open it now in PS and also simular, when I save the DNG opend file in PS as a PSD.

First line left image = PSD file (RAW Lr file opend and saved in PS)

First line right image = RAW file in Lr

Second line left image = DNG file

Second line right image = PSD file (DNG file opend and saved in PS)

PSD-RAW_DNG-psdfromdng.JPG

The DNG-file is here for downloading:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FCDMK941VSNaFxwlGjYmXar4dgE9UGkA/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was a tough nut to crack. Usually this is pretty simple 🙂

I downloaded your dng and found no problems (nor did I expect any). Lightroom and (Edit In) Photoshop are absolutely identical.

Here's what throws me off: Why does the color change with the CR2, but not DNG? Now that is normally a smoking gun: that's the third-party-camera-profile bug in Lightroom. It happens with native raw files + sidecar, but not DNGs where everything is embedded in the file.

But you're not using any custom camera profiles. You're using Adobe Color.

The only other situation I can think of when this could happen, is a version mismatch between Lr and PS. But it would have to be a very old Lightroom version (2017 or so).

I'm beginning to suspect a bug somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I checked all of my shootings this year: Everytime Profile: Adobe Default - Adobe Color.
  • I deinstalled LR & PS and after a newstart of Win 10 I installed both again
  • I installed different versions of LR (up to v9.2) and PS (up to v22.0) in different ways.
    - Only old Lr version with newst PS Version
    - Only old PS version with newst LR Version
    - Both programs with different old versions
  • I checked profile in camera (Sony A7III and Canon 5DM 2)
  • I tried again actual RAWs of both cameras

Everytime the same. The lightroom RAW looks different as the psd / tiff, which was opend in PS and saved.

I dont't know where I could anywhere else... it's so frustrating 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if you run a few tests in Camera Raw instead of LR; any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Opened RAW file from Bridge in ACR and
  • Opened the RAW file directly from Bridge in PS and saved

The colos of the images are identically and looks right.

But in ACR I have a yellow sign with ! at the camera profils which says: ACR profile not installed, render incorrectly

Br_camera-profil_not-installed.JPG

Maybe this could be a problem? A not correctly or missing Adobe Default camera profile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! That's the smoking gun I mentioned. This is where the dog is buried (don't know if you have that expression in English 😉 ).

The thing is - it shouldn't say Adobe Standard. It should say Adobe Color! Those are two different profiles. And that goes back to what I said about a version mismatch, because Adobe Standard was the default up to 2017 or so, at which point the profiles were completely overhauled and Adobe Color became the new default.

This explains everything completely - except why that profile gets applied in the first place. That I don't know. I've only ever heard about that happening when there is in fact a version mismatch between Lr and ACR.

So what are your Lr and ACR version numbers? Not "latest" but which version number? They should by now be 10.3 and 13.3 resectively. Those are corresponding versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May you have a look into my first post:

Win 10 / x86

LR classic version: 10.3

PS version: 22.4.3 20210602.r.242 a4f6042 x64

ACR version: 13.3.0.807

Therefore I deinstalled everything today and reinstalled different version of LR & PS.

Could I download the Adobe Default profiles anywhere?

Under C:\Users\schie\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles I can't find the Adobe Defaults:

CameraProfiles.JPG

and under C:\Users\schie\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\Defaults  I can find these

CameraProfiles_Defaults.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I delted all folders in CameraProfiles path:

Now if I open the RAW file in PS and save it, it looks the same as my RAW in lightroom.

But ACR does still not find the Camera Profiles.....

Found another cameraprofiles in the path:

So which should be the correct path for the Adobe Defaults Camera Profiles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open and expand the profiles section in ACR. What do you see there?

camera-profiles.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ACR_Profile-1.JPG

I only can see the custom ones...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my Mac (YMMV) I have two locations for DCP profiles. 

Custom (one's I've built): 

/Users/~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

Adobe's: 

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay now it workes!

1) The Default profiles must stay in Preset folder:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\Settings\Adobe\Presets\Defaults

2) All the profiles from the Program-Data folder must be copied to

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

kathrins38782390_0-1627764370915.png

3) All folders from step 2 copied into this path:

Now the profiles works in LR and in ACR as well 

And I would also like to linkt to this case:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/camera-raw/adobe-camera-raw-missing-camera-profiles/td-p/10087240

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting back! As I said, this was a strange case, and I've never seen anything like this before.

This has to be some glitch in your original installation. Since these things are all stored under the user account, not the program files, a reinstall will probably just have left everything there untouched. It's possible that a full preference reset, followed by manually purging all leftover folders - and then reinstalling - would have done it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the nice and long lasting help of the countless little puzzle pieces that have led to the fact that it is now running again 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines