• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom "deconvolution" sharpening vs. Photoshop Smart Sharpen (lens blur removal)

Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As someone relatively new to Lightroom and Photoshop, I have been trying to gain a better understanding of the sharpening options available in both applications (e.g., bought The Digital Negative (Jeff Schewe) as well as The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC Book (Martin Evening)). I also found the community thread "Sharpening in ACR 7.1" (Jun 10, 2012) very informative.

In the referenced 2012 post, MadManChan2000 (Adobe Employee) acknowledged "Yes, moving Detail towards 100 will use a deconvolution-based method to sharpen the image." Jeff Schewe indicated "ACR's deconvolution processing is very similar to Photoshop's Smart Sharpen when set to the Lens Blur option." So, I embarked on an effort to determine "amount" settings for equivalent sharpening. Results are illustrated below:

Charles_Farlow_0-1648158978119.png

A few caveats:

- I analyzed one relatively complex daylight landscape image (sand dunes, mountains, partly cloudy sky) to generate the chart. 135 mm Sigma (Art) Lens, ISO 100, f/6.3, 1/500 second.

- Reviewed "sharpening artifacts" to determine equivalency in a manner similar to the process described in my post "Enhance details produces noise artifacts" (Feb. 20, 2022). Later, I verified each data point with color images.

-  As included in the chart's title, "approximate" is an important adjective - as far as I can tell, the "deconvolution" algorithms implemented in ACR/LR and Smart Sharpen are not identical. Very similar, but not identical.

Thoughts? Have others attempted to generate a similar chart? Adobe?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2022 Mar 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One correction and one clarification for today's post:

Correction - My Feb. 20, 2022 post is titled "Noise artifacts produced by enhance details" (in hindsight, it should have been titled "Boundary artifacts ...").

Clarification - No ACR sharpening was applied after loading the RAW image into Photoshop (i.e., Photoshop results only reflect sharpening by Smart Sharpen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines