• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lines (shape) disappear.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to place lines and 'corners' on a poster I created to accentuate the subject. I can make the lines, but they disappear when presing the return button (Mac). How do I keep them from disa

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

New Here , Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Check your alignment in "Stroke Options." If it is set to inside (the top setting) your stroke will not show.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Do you have a color chosen for the tool?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane, but still after making a line, it disappears. I have read here that many people are having the smae problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you press Command-Y or View > Outline, do you see the line in outline view?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was thinking about Illustrator and this is the Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop pressing return will delete the line. That is normal. There's no need to press return when drawing a line. In the Options bar, you can choose Path, Shape, or Pixels. If you choose Pixels, pressing return will not delete the line, but on the other hand, the line will be bitmap instead of vector.

Which tool are you using to draw the lines and which setting are you choosing in the Options bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pixel option is greyed out..not an option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pixels was disabled for the line tool in the newest version of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your alignment in "Stroke Options." If it is set to inside (the top setting) your stroke will not show.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stroke options? Where is that option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ensure that drawing mode is set to Shape (first arrow from the left on screenshot) then click where second arrow is pointing and lastly expand first drop down list (third bottom most arrow) and change to second or third option.

stroke options.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2021 Mar 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bojan. This has been plaguing me for months!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This also DOES NOT WORK.  I draw a line or a box, and it dissapears.  It'n on the top layer.  All settings are as shown. Driving me bonkers. I DO NOT HAVE TIME FOR THIS,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SAME! HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2024 Jan 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Same problem. After tons of effort trying to save my Line tool creations into an elegant brochure I concocted (which sapped all my creative energy), I realized I can get the same desired effects with the Pencil tool instead. I suspect the Line tool kind of floats meaninglessly in space (like with a selection), whereas the Pencil tool lays down actual lines, it seems. Cool tools though and kudos to Adobe despite the fact many of us might die young because of computer frustration. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2023 Jan 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the tool?

Right click on the tool icon in the Options bar.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a color chosen for the tool?

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset the line tool.  I have a color chosen.  It is on the top layer.  All settings are as shown.  I can draw ONE line.  When I try to draw the second line, the first line disappears.  When I try to draw the third line, the second line disappears, and so one.  I apparently can only have one line.  What is going on????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Barbara Ash 

Can you show a screen shot that shows

• image area
  • layers panels
  • paths panel
  • properties panel
  • options bar

Select the path with the Path Selection tool (black arrow).

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this was for an old problem/bug or is still useful...

How To Fix Line Tool Not Working in Photoshop 2021 - Adobe Photoshop Line Tool Thickness Not Working...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Signfeld Isn't that the same as the answer from @prophotomac that is marked correct? 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't watched it closely, but I first thought the vid selected the middle icon, and saw the answer mentioning "top," but I now see he says not to use top... 😉

I've just posted this in case it was about a different problem, as I still see cries for "HELP" after some of the solutions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines