Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Liquify tool: “file is locked”

New Here ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I hope someone can help me. I have an issue with the liquify tool, which works fine for every photo but one folder from a certain date, it will not work. I get the error message that 'Could not complete the liquify command because the file is locked, you do not have the necessary permmissions, or another program is using the file'

I have checked everything,everywhere. Its not locked as far as i can see, the permissions are the same, its all the same as the other folders. I have restarted twice, logged out and back into Adobe and everyhing is up to date. I'm on a Dell Laptop, thats about all I know there.

Anyone have any idea, please?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td-p/11601738?page=1

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far?
Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
May 25, 2024 May 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue have you found a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I to am having the same issue today as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've started having this issue now too.  Never experienced it before.  Currently have the latest version, 25.9, could it have anything to do with that?

It happens every few photos I edit, when I use the liquify tool, it shows the prompt (attached): 
"Could not complete the Liquify command because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permissions, or another program is using the file."

After I close the program and restart it, it seems to work again, but a few photos, the error comes up again.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2024 Jun 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there! I'll need more info to help you figure this out. Please share a video of this behavior & the system info from Photoshop Help > System info > Copy & paste into a text document > upload & attach here.

Are there any other significant applications running in the background? Does this happen with a specific document? Try pressing the ALT/OPT key when you click on Filter > Liquify Filter & check if that helps. 

Let me know how it goes. Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'm still experiencing this issue.  I've recently updated the program to version 25.9.1 and the issue is still happening.  I've attached a video showing the dialog box that appears when this issue happens.  I've also attached a text document with my system info.   When I restart the program the issue goes away however after several files where I apply the liquify filter, the prompt shows up again and won't allow me to use the liquify tool, unless I restart the program again.  

There are no other significant applications running in the background outside my browser, however this has never been an issue before.  I've used Photoshop for over a decade and haven't experienced this until I believe the 25.9 update.  I've tested and it happens with all document types, PSDs, JPGs, PNGs, etc.

Pressing the Alt Key when trying to click the liquify filter does not do anything, it actually closes dropdown selection window for me.  

Looking forward to hearing back from you.  Thank you.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exact same problem too and I'm a complete beginner trialling Photoshop and going through the tutorials. So far because of this problem I'm feeling super disappointed about my experience and really want to throw in the towel. I hope a solution is found soon cause there's so much I want to do on here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2024 Sep 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Preferences, Performance you see a box checked that says "Use Graphics Processor".  Uncheck this box and it should allow you to use the liquify tool.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2024 Jun 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates to this problem? I am experiencing this as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue, every now and again it starts and I need to save everything reboot photoshop and it works again. I am running Chrome and Lightroom and a few other things in the background. 

Strangely I just tried pressing alt and it worked, I couldn't hold alt down because it closed the menu I was in but if I kind of clicked and pressed at exactly the same time it worked. I've only tried it once.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using the Alt key and I've gotten weird results so far.  
First off, the Alt key must be pressed immediately AFTER (literally milliseconds) you click the Liquify tool in the dropdown menu.  

If you press it before or during the same time as the click, the dropdown menu with instantly close without any action performed.  

Now I have had 2 experiences with this so far.

The first time, when the Liquify window opened, the image it showed in the previous wasn't even the image I was working on.  It showed a very small dimensioned blob of color that wasn't related to the image at all, so that was pointless.  Closed the Liquify window and reopened several times and it still showed the same thing.  Still had to press the Alt key in conjunction with the click.  Again had to restart the program to temporarily fix. 

The second time I tried this (during a completely separate instance) the correct image showed in the Liquify window however the loading of the preview and the liquify operation was very slow compared to how it normally acts.  Closed the Liquify window and reopened and the same slowness occured.  Still had to press the Alt key in conjunction with the click.  Again had to restart the program to temporarily fix.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact. Same. Issue. It's driving me crazy. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I responded to Sameer K earlier with a screenshot and video capture of the issue.  I haven't heard back from him.  Let me know if there's any other information that's needed.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2024 Jul 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same.  It stops working after a few files.  Works again upon opening the same file.  annoying af.  Hoping to find a fix

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine too.  I used it fine... then 20 minutes later on the same, open file it suddenly stopped working and refused to work from that point forward.  Countless of attempts for two days, then I re-installed Photoshop - did not work.  I then erased my entire Mac, reinstalled MacOS, reinstalled Photoshop and it works again.  It was extreme, but I had a deadline.  Inexcuseable really.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever actually restore the Preferences? 

Before re-installing did you use the Cleaner Tool? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2024 Aug 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID32287022o53y_0-1724429804122.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No me permite usar licuar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Este es un problema que persiste. No sé por qué no han podido solucionarlo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 24, 2024 Aug 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Others may not be able to solve your problems. 

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far?
Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2024 Aug 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop
Команда "Пластика" не может быть выполнена: так как файл заблокирован, у вас нет необходимых прав доступа, или файл используется в другой программе. 

william_6768_0-1724653066149.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI! What version of Photoshop are you running? What is the color mode you re working in? RGB? And is it 8-bit or 16-bit? Have you tried renaming and resaving the file into a different folder to see if that makes a difference?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running version 25.9.1.  I've been using Photoshop for the past 15 years and have never run unto this issue until I updated to 25.9

This is in RGB color mode 8 bit, which is what I've always been using.  Renaming and resaving into a different folder doesn't make a difference.  This affects ALL files.  Once I have multiple files open in Photoshop, at some point when I try to liquify an image, this error pops up.  The only fix is to completely close Photoshop and restart it.  However, there will come a point when it happens again once I have worked with more files and try to liquify again.  This can happen with any file.  It appears this is a program issue, not a file issue, and it's been quite annoying to deal with having to constantly close and restart Photoshop to bypass the error.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does rather sound like a glitch.  I take it you are not opening the problem folder from a networked server?  Have you ever shared files using the Adobe cloud?  Or any online source for that matter. 

The way I would try to fix an isue like this would be to a) make the problem file/group a Smart Object, and if that didn't work, open it and save-as with a different file name.  You could also try right click and Duplicate choosing to send to a new window, and save that and reopen.  

All just possible workarounds that I guess we shouldn't need to do — if it is indeed a glitch — but a constantly evoling app as complex as Photoshop, is bound to have issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines