Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Liquify tool: “file is locked”

New Here ,
May 22, 2024 May 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I hope someone can help me. I have an issue with the liquify tool, which works fine for every photo but one folder from a certain date, it will not work. I get the error message that 'Could not complete the liquify command because the file is locked, you do not have the necessary permmissions, or another program is using the file'

I have checked everything,everywhere. Its not locked as far as i can see, the permissions are the same, its all the same as the other folders. I have restarted twice, logged out and back into Adobe and everyhing is up to date. I'm on a Dell Laptop, thats about all I know there.

Anyone have any idea, please?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td-p/11601738?page=1

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far?
Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2024 Jul 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of this is from my local hard drive.  I have never used a network server or Adobe cloud nor any online source.  

I tried your method that you outlined and that didn't fix the issue.  The problem is that this is a program wide issue that affects ALL files.  I have been using Photoshop for 15 years prior and just started experiencing it with the update to version 25.9.  The only way I have found a fix so far is by closing and restarting the program whenever the issue pops up.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue too and I'm assuming no one has figured it out yet? It's always something that causes Liquify to not work. Prior to this update, it was a different message about Liquify not working. I've had to restart Photoshop and the computer almost everytime just to get it to work. It's getting beyond frustrating to do this everytime I try to use Liquify.

Does this have anything to do with me opening up the file from Lightroom to edit in Photoshop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, add me to this thread as well.  Updated to the most recent release today, and now  get an error "file or directory could not be found" when I click the "save" button in Liquify.  Have never had this problem in prior versions.  I'm doing professional work and (for now) doing proofs without full processing and I find this beyond frustrating.

The error message is so weird as I have to have it open in Photoshop in order to use the liquify tool.  

2020 iMac - Intel 10-core i9 - 128GB RAM - 8TB SSD running MacOS Sonoma 14.5

janee_0-1720969986935.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, needs to be solved

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2024 Jul 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... you may not like it but I got it working by re-installing to an older MacOS and reinstalled Creative Suite.  It's not optimal, but it got me back to work.

Adobe definintely broke something on the update.  It's shameful really.  I should be billing Adobe for my lost time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2024 Jul 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... you may not like it but I got it working by re-installing to an older MacOS and reinstalled Creative Suite.  It's not optimal, but it got me back to work.

Adobe definintely broke something on the update.  It's shameful really.  I should be billing Adobe for my lost time.

By @Eddie750

I experience no problems with Liquify, so please provide meaningful information to back up your »accusations«. 

What is your setup, what exactly malfunctions, what are the alerts, what have you done for trouble-shooting, …? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again: 

Please read this (in particular the section titled "Supply pertinent information for more timely and effective answers”):
https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My original post has all that information, including a screenshot of the error.  Did you even read it before posting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What had you done for trouble-shooting before reverting to an obsolete OS version? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you even read it before posting?

While I may re-read the original post of a thread before replying later on I usually do not re-read the complete thread. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My original post has all that information, including a screenshot of the error.

By @Eddie750

Unfortunately, your screenshot with only the error message is not very helpful to the volunteers who are trying to help you troubleshoot. Can you possibly post another screenshot that includes your workspace including the entire Layers panel with the Liquify layer selected?

Another thing that would be helpful to us is to see the path where you are trying to save. In macOS, there are two ways:

• In Finder, select View menu > Path and the path will show at the bottom
  • In Photoshop, Cmd+click the Title Bar to see the path. In Photoshop, you need to make it a floating window first, then Consolidate again when finished

What happens when you select a different location for saving?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2024 Jul 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spent a couple days after my original post to find workaround to this problem.  Re-installing Photoshop would not fix the problem.

The only way I fixed it was to re-format my Mac and perform a clean-installation of MacOS and Lightroom/Photoshop.  The problem no longer happens.  It was not ideal as I had a project that needed to be finished.

If it occurs again, I'll come back to this thread to post any additional information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 08, 2024 Jul 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only way work for me with this issue is go to edit-preferences-performance and then uncheck "use graphic processor", then use the liquify again, it will show the dialogue box say " liquify supports hardware......" and then just click OK, it will start open the liquify window, but the problem on me now is the progress box will stuck on, i can't click the cancel button and can't close it too, but when i click the photoshop icon on my taskbar the progress box will disappear and the liquify work normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as many in this thread. All the other methods didn't work for me and this was the only one that allowed me to use Liquify for a while. Thank you so much. You are my savior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 29, 2024 Aug 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are talking about disabling GPU-usage that invalidates some features.

But whith GPU-usage enabled one can still suppress it for Liquify specifically by pressing ctrl-alt when selecting the Filter from the menu. 

Screenshot 2024-08-29 at 11.08.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Contacted the help center and they just cut the connection and leave it. How can we fix this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2024 Jul 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/using-the-community/community-how-to-guide-tips-amp-best-practices/td...

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2024 Aug 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently started to get this error message when I'm in masking mode using the top "quick selection tool", but all others tools works fine. My file is not locked and it didn't happen to all files. Sometimes it works but after reopen the next time I'll get that error message. 

Tried reset my preference & make sure all the files are not "read-only" and couldn't figure out why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2024 Aug 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the exact same issue. I've done everything that has been told to other people and it still happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 08, 2024 Aug 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved it by selecting only the area that receives liquify

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue here. 😞 Adobe please resolve this for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2024 Aug 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today is my 1st day purchase Photoshop form Adobe, and i alreayd have the same issue to use Liquify

It show ""Count not complete the Liquify command because the file is locked, you do not have necessary access permission, or another program using the file"

Adobe, please help to solve it

Clever_wisdom5FD8_0-1723569076341.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2024 Aug 13, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same one I get. With as many people getting the same command, I'm uncertain why more of an effort isn't being made to correct it on Adobe's end and not continue to ask what we've done to troubleshoot it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines