Exit

Looking for PSD layers to PNG batch export solution

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm looking for a script for the following example task:

I have a bunch of numbered PSDs (01.psd, 02.psd, 03.psd... 50.psd) and each has between 1 and 200+ layers.

I need every single layer exported to an untrimmed, transparent PNG, while retaining PSD name, layer hierarchy-number and layer name (=> 01_0001_hair.png; 01_0002_face.png; etc.) so that they can be sorted and stacked correctly afterwards.

The "Export layers to files" option in PS already does this, but I have to do it for each PSD manually and can't leave it running overnight to do all of them at once.

Does anyone have a script that does that or something similar, that I may customize? It would help a lot.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

You can do that the following way :

First create an action for exporting layers to files as PNG 24 (with transparency).

You can uncheck third box at the bottom in order not to crop layers   (excuse my french)

Capture d’écran 2020-03-05 à 11.59.34.png

Then you create a batch processing based on thid script

Capture d’écran 2020-03-05 à 12.04.05.pngCapture d’écran 2020-03-05 à 12.04.21.png

Specify source and destination folders… a few settings to override source and destination folders may be required…

You could even create a droplet to drag and drop folders to be processed…

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do that the following way :

First create an action for exporting layers to files as PNG 24 (with transparency).

You can uncheck third box at the bottom in order not to crop layers   (excuse my french)

Capture d’écran 2020-03-05 à 11.59.34.png

Then you create a batch processing based on thid script

Capture d’écran 2020-03-05 à 12.04.05.pngCapture d’écran 2020-03-05 à 12.04.21.png

Specify source and destination folders… a few settings to override source and destination folders may be required…

You could even create a droplet to drag and drop folders to be processed…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, excellent suggestion by Didier. You can also use Bridge to select the files and launch the batch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion, I actually tried this one before. It has two issues for me though - I wonder if it's bugged or if I'm doing something wrong.

1. In the resulting PNG files, which all end up in the same folder, you can see that all of them have the same prefix. It takes the name of the first PSD and applies it to all following files for some reason. Thankfully, the layers are numbered correctly, but the only way to tell which PSD they belong to is to go by the date or to manually check them.

2. I renamed my 3 test PSDs after the first try, recreated the droplet, restarted PS and my PC, but for some reason the old prefix "com1-age-baby_" stays the same. It shouldn't be there anymore, the PSD name doesn't exist anymore and I have no idea why it would do this.

DropletIssue1.PNG

This is how the layers came out. The prefixes are wrong, but the layer names are fine.

DropletIssue2.PNG

This is the PSDs I was using. One of them was previously named "com1-age-baby_", resulting in the export prefixes.

DropletIssue3.PNG

These are my recorded action and my droplet settings.

DropletIssue4.PNG

I'll try to work around it but it would be cool if there was a fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 06, 2020 Mar 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Setting up a script and batch action are not always easy teasks… But it is worth the pain.

I think that you should check the File Naming where you can specify exactly how you want the result files be named.

Check the box to override the script instructions and you can use all sort of  prefixes and suffixes.

Just use a line for any of the one you want.

Capture d’écran 2020-03-06 à 20.32.08.png

Hope this will help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines