• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Catalina - Save as/Save as copy not changing file name or extension

Participant ,
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This happened today, yesterday it was working fine.  I have all the latest CC updates.

With my Photoshop file open, I go to FILE, SAVE AS, tick AS A COPY, choose format .jpg

Filename remains .psd therefore it has to be changed manually.

Yesterday I updated to Catalina. Could there be a correlation?

Does anyone have a fix please? T.I.A. 🙂

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Deleted User
Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 09, 2019 Oct 09, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 144 Replies 144
Oct 18, 2019 Oct 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Wanted to make sure it wasn't a local issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

This is a known compatibility issue with Photoshop & macOS Catalina, you seem to be already using the workaround for this.
Please have a look at this article for more information on this: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Our engineers are working to get these issues fixed as soon as possible, however, as of now there is no official date for when's the fix is coming. Would request you to stay tuned for any updates on this.

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  Wanted to make sure it wasn't a local issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the new Mac OS 10.15 Catalina release Photoshop don't changes the extension ( .tif, .jpg, .psd) if I save a file.

WHY? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unsure if this is on adobe's end or apple's end, though since my macbook has been updated my photoshop files will not save as TIFF files. It saves as a seperate PSD. file that won't open? Anybody have the same issue and know how to resolve?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2019 Oct 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating MacOS to Catalina and updating my Adobe apps (don't remember if PSD was one of them), I'm having an issue with changing the file extensions when saving the file.

When I work on a new file and then go to save, I get a PSD extension by default as usual. However, when I change the format to JPG in the dropdown, the file extension does not change automatically according the format chosen, I have to manually change the extension now. (see screenshot for example)

This is a major issue when it comes to productivity. 

Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah it's not an Adobe problem. It is an Apple Mac OS X Caralina problem. Maybe you should of checked out all the things that don't work on Catalina before you upgraded the OS on your Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2020 Oct 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was rude and not professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem! It's happnes for any kind of extension file that i would like to change!
Is there any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEllo, unfortunately, for the time being, I'd say to wait for a fix from Apple.

Jumping the gun on a OS install is always dangerous.

ALWAYS check with your hardware and software manufacturer if they have technical notices about the upcoming OS: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop not saving any files after Catalina update Mac. Everything seems to work fine and is not crashing it just not save or save as. Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

We apologize for the issue you are facing with Photoshop while trying to save files after the macOS Catalina update.

Would you mind sharing the version of Photoshop you are using by going to the Help menu in Photoshop > System info? Also, when you try to save a file using Save As do you get the Save As dialog box or nothing happens?

There is a known issue with Photoshop on macOS Catalina where the file extension is not changing in the Save as dialog box when selecting a file type from the drop down menu and we are currently working on a fix.

For known issues related to Photoshop on macOS Catalina, please see the below mentioned link.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Regards,

Nikunj 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just instaled Catalina and am having problems saving psd files. As I'm saving a pds from photoshop, it will read 99% coplete, and get stuck there. I have gradualy built up the psd file and started adding different layers with adjustments, and it´s able to save. I then also put some of these layers into a group folder, still saving. If i start doing some editing and I try to save, it freezes and gets stuck on 99%. Everything else is still working, and I can keep working, but it wont save. If I try to close photoshop, I either get the file is still processing and will close once it's saved, or the app won't respond to closing the file. This is trying to save to an external hardrive(ExFAT). If I force photshop to quit, it wont start up again unless I restart the computer...

Here's my system info:

Adobe Photoshop Version: 21.1.0 20200212.r.106 2020/02/12: 4dd027efb58 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's hardly a solution

"

Checking "As a Copy" in the Save As dialog does not append “copy” to the file name.

Workaround

Manually edit the name and add “copy”, or change the name to something unique."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
I have a problem recording my files in photoshop CC 2019 (which I just subscribe): impossible to have it automatically add the file extension (.jpg or other). I have to do it manually and yet I ticked "automatically" in the registration preferences for adding extension (file management)

Would anyone know how to solve this problem?
I constantly switch from psd to jpg or tif

Thank you in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us which Operating System you're using. Thanks.

Adobe Community Expert / Adobe Certified Instructor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac os Catalina 10.15

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, you may want to check this help document: There is a problem with File extensions in Catalina. https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated my Mac OS from 10.14 Mojave to 10.15 Catalina - not swure if this has any bearing, but when I save a 2019 Photoshop file as a PDF or any other kind of file, I used to see the file name automatically change in the Save As window, now it doesn't, which is a real pain. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Carl

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should always wait for AT LEAST a month befeore upgrading to a new operating system, to be sure that all of the programs you use are going to keep working properly
Read all of the replies in this message when you have a problem with Catalina
-includes two links on how to revert to a previous operating system
https://community.adobe.com/t5/Get-Started/Catalina-upgrade-breaks-Photoshop-and-Illustrator/td-p/10...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carl,

We apologize for the issue you are facing with Photoshop while trying to save files after the macOS Catalina update.

There is a known issue with Photoshop on macOS Catalina where the file extension is not changing in the Save as dialog box when selecting a file type from the drop down menu and we are currently working on a fix.

For known issues related to Photoshop on macOS Catalina, please see the below mentioned link.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-and-macos-catalina.html

Regards,

Nikunj 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issue, turned off firevault and it now works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines