• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

M: Photoshop 21.1.3 freezes when using Adjustments on macOS (Rulers enabled)

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2020 May 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I thought that the problem when using intensity/contrast in adjustments (it is extremly slow to the point I think the computer freezes) was solved by restoring preferences and restoring warning messages, but as it turns out the problem is still there! Turning of the graphic card processor helps maybe a little (one or two times) but then there are other issues such as I can't use the filter "lightning effects". The problem is there wether I work on a big or small file. The only thing I can upgrade on the computer is to the OS Catalina.

Computer :  OS Mojave 10.14.6, iMac (Retina 5K, 27, 2019), processor Intel Core i9, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, 

Radeon Pro 580X 8GB.

Please need help!

/Jan

{Moderator note: PS-48654

Thread title edited}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , May 21, 2020 May 21, 2020
Hi all,

Apologies for the frustrating freeze with some Photoshop adjustments: We've added this issue to Photoshop's known issues documentation.

The current workarounds that we’re aware of are:
  • Disable Rulers (CMD+R on Mac, Ctrl+R on Win), or
  • Move the Adjustment dialog outside of Photoshop’s workspace/interface before touching any sliders.
Let us know how this goes.

We have been able to reproduce the freeze internally and the engineering team is currently investigating a fix.
Stay tuned to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Hi All,

We are happy to announce the release of  Photoshop 21.2.

This update includes the fix for Photoshop 21.1.3: Hue Saturation dialog not responsive

Here's a list of fixed issues in this release: Bug fixes

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Regards,
Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020
ADOBE released an upgrade today that fixed this problem. I tested it and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 152 Replies 152
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Either hide the rulers if you don't need them or apply Hue/Saturaion as an adjustment layer from the Layers panel instead of using "Image > Adjust"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Catalina and moving the brightness/contrast properties outside of the workspace worked for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disabled rulers and now it no longer freezes, BUT I use rulers all the time and would like to have them ON.  Please advise when this if fixed.  At least I can work now.  Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of using the Image > Adjust menu, go to your layers panel and choose an Adjustment layer. HSB for example or if you can, move your dialog box away from the document area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You cannot work this way, various settings are frozen and the program must be restarted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. (Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101))

Disabling rulers and moving the pop up window out of the artboard view work for me, too! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2020 Jun 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

La restauration des préférences après avoir vérifié que tous les préréglages personnalisés tels que les actions, les motifs, les pinceaux, etc. ont été enregistrés peut être un bon point de départ

Adobe software used: Photoshop CC2018 / Illustrator CC2018 and Dreamweaver CS6 My website : Su7.fr, N°1 DE LA VENTE DES ARTICLES DE BÉBÉ PERSONNALISÉS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep I have this same problem. After 25+ years of Photoshop being on the market, we really shouldn't be losing work because the Hue and Saturation panel causes a program crash. Do better testing, hire more QA people, whatever it takes. This is basic stuff. I could understand if some experimental new feature caused a crash, but not reducing saturation. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 07, 2020 Jun 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, Hue and Saturation freezes Photoshop... I am on a deadline, C'mon Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pay $50 a month for CC just to have Photoshop to crash with hue/saturation adjustment? 

It's completely unacceptable that Adobe has known about this issue and not been able to fix it in OVER TWO WEEKS. 

<profanity removed >

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im having the same issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any updates on this error? Mine has started doing the same. I can't even save! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote a reply that the Adobe workaround did work, but it is frustrating. I almost force quit yesterday, but glad I just went outside the app and waited for a minute (because I hadn't saved - silly me). Anyway, if you do that it will usually let you quit the cmd at least. Do the recommended tips until they fix it. I'm just glad it isn't just me doing something wrong or having computer issues. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that has to be the weirdest workaround I've heard of, but it did work. I'm just glad someone figured that out until it's fixed. I'd have loved to be at the meeting when someone said "what if you turned off 'view rulers'?" lol!!! I've seen some pretty odd things happen with software over 30 years. So, I did both this time - turned off the rulers AND moved the dialog box out of the Photoshop work area - and it works again. Now if someone could help me figure out why my brushes are not showing the correct size (and I already did look for that), I'd be much obliged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2020 Jun 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, and it happens with most types of adjustement. There area also lots of other buggy issues, like palettes freezing and not being able to be move them around the screen. Tried to save a document and all menu options are greyed out, took about 1 minute before it came back to normal.

Very frustraing as we have deadlines today and Photoshop is pretty much unusable like this. Everyhting is taking 10 times longer than normal.

Experinced user (20 years) running new Mac Pro, loads of RAM, solid state drives with plenty of space, all software up to date. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have been having this problem for weeks. Every time I use hue/saturation, Photoshop CC freezes and my computer fans start spinning furiously until well after I force-quit PS. 
It's insane that this problem has not been fixed, or that removing rulers is the workaround.
I tried restoring preferences and made sure my OS Catalina was up to date and that there was plenty of disk space available. This solved the issue for a week and now it's back and bad as ever. 
Not cool, Adobe. Hoping for a fix ASAP.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2020 Jun 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugh. I continue to get this issue as well. Just lost an entire project due to this error.

CC 2020 is eternally frustrating, as it seems to be a dumpster fire of a release, riddled with bugs and crashes. I can't tell you how many hours of time I've lost redoing files because of this. Very angry that I continue to pay high dollar for an unreliable product. Is it too much to ask for stable software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2020 Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi,
i still have the problem with the spinning ball in photoshop while using the path-tool! and yes, the rulers are off. i use (and photoshop more than 20 years now, but this problem is verry serious and extremly frustrating. please HELP!

MacPro 3.5 GHz 8-Core Xeon W, 112 GB RAM, AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB

MacOS 21.1.3 on catalina

Photoshop 21.1.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we get an "Official" update from Adobe about their progress or lack of progress on this issue that is affecting so many of and is affecting their company reputation and one of their flagship applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here

It makes me sick ! I'm loosing time and work 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a VERY IMPORTANT information to the community :

I tried everything to get back to my work, stucked by this f'#&@! BUG. I spent hours of hard work for my client, I didn't want to force quit and lose everything

There are lots of informations on how to turn-around this bug, but no info on "how to get back to Photoshop and don't loose your work"

good news and bad news

Good news : IT IS POSSIBLE

Bad news : you have to wait... It took me nearly an hour, but the LIGHT & CONTRAST box finally close and i was able to save everything! 

At first, i moved the box out of Photoshop space, and I clicked and clicked everywere (OK button, CANCEL button, CLOSE button of the window, etc, etc) and I typed ESC many times, I moved the box here and there .... nothing

So i decided to have a break and go for dinner with my wife.

Nearly 1 hour after, I came back to my computer and tried again to close this (fu***'in) box and suddendly ... it closed ! And the photoshop menu became available again .... and i was able to save my work

I know haw frustrating it is to lose hours of work so this is my message : IT IS POSSIBLE TO GET BACK IN PHOTOSHOP. It take times, sometime we don't have the time, but if you have it ...

Please guys, confirm here that you too succeed in getting back to your work, i hope my message will be useful to many of you

cheers

Alex V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the same problem with everyone working on Mac OS Catalina ver10.15.5 when is Adobe coming out with software that works with this system? don't require workarounds need software that is compatible. this is a costly and frustrating issue please get this sorted, thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, disabling rulers stopped Hue/sat crashing on me (OS 10.15.5).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2020 Jun 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I need help, I cannot install creative cloud, it says error 0xc000012f

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 14, 2020 Jun 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix for this yet? I need both rulers and hue/sat at all times. Why is this still going on??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines