• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Meta tags images as "Made with AI" if You Use Gen Fill

Engaged ,
Jun 07, 2024 Jun 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, apparently Adobe has begun adding metadata to images that says they were made with AI (or at the very least, that AI was used) if you used Gen Fill at all. I realized this because some websites, such as Instagram, have begun automatically labeling any images I had used Gen Fill on as "Made with AI" based on the metadata Photoshop had added, without the option for me to remove the label.

I use Gen Fill to expand backgrounds a bit when I need to change the aspect ratio of an image (4x5 from a 2x3 for Instagram), or to more quickly and easily remove an unwanted object or blemish in photo I took and spent a lot of time and effort taking. I don't use it to create entirely made-up backgrounds or people. If I'd known my long hours setting up photo shoots, purchasing supplies, props, and more would all be given the label of "Made with AI" making my clients and other people think I'm just generating my photography, I would never have used Gen Fill in the first place. To me it's just been a quicker and better version of Content Aware Fill. 

So, for those of you who have had the same experience and, like me, don't want your work labeled as "Made with AI" when you've maybe used Gen Fill to remove a beer can from a photo, just export your photos as a bitmap, open them with Microsoft Paint and save them as a JPEG from there. It will remove the relevant metadata.

(subject edited by moderator to remove false information and replace it with correct information. Meta is adding that tag, not Photoshop, and they say  so in their help pages.)

Edit by OP: I appreciate the moderators not simply deleting this thread, because I do think this is a good discussion to have. I do believe my post clearly stated that the tag of "Made with AI" was created by Instagram (Meta) and that Photoshop was simply including an indicator (metadata/Content Credentials) with the image when it's saved out of Photoshop that showed some sort of AI was used. If the mods felt my original subject was false information, I can assure them that it was not intended to be.

I have also simply stopped using any AI tools in Photoshop for any photos I intend to post online. I'd rather take the extra time to edit my photos the way I have been for the last 25+ years than have my clients mistakenly think my photography is completely AI generated.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 26, 2024 Jun 26, 2024

Here is an article outlining the issues with Meta's "Made with AI" label and what features in Photoshop, Lightroom, and Firefly will trigger it.

https://petapixel.com/2024/06/25/this-is-what-makes-instagram-flag-your-photo-as-made-with-ai/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 01, 2024 Jul 01, 2024

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SK321 Instagram has false flags with their AI tagging service that has been all over the news since it started. But to your arguement about "Made with AI" - black and white, you did use AI on your image so it's being identified as having AI in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SK321Instagram has false flags with their AI tagging service that has been all over the news since it started. But to your arguement about "Made with AI" - black and white, you did use AI on your image so it's being identified as having AI in it.

By @kevin stohlmeyer

"AI was used in this image" is completely different than "Made with AI". The latter would lead anyone to believe the image was completely AI generated. And as I said, I'll just go back to only using Content Aware Fill and doing my own adding/replacing if it's going to give my images that tag. If it had been made clear that your images would all be given that label if you used any AI at all, I would have never used the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2024 Jun 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the notation wrong or false?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the notation wrong or false?

By @kevin stohlmeyer

I don't know. Without knowing exactly what the metadata from Photoshop is indicating I can't really answer that question. If the metadata is just saying "AI was used in this image", then no, the notation wouldn't be false. If the metadata is saying, "This image was created by AI", then yes, the notation would be false. 

My guess is that Photoshop is just indicating that AI was used in the image in some way and Instagram is the one using that notation to label the image as "Made with AI". I don't want my images being labeled as "Made with AI" if I literally used the Gen Fill to remove a rock on a sidewalk, for example. 

But again, if that's what will happen if I use Gen Fill at all, I'm just not going to use it for any images I plan to post to Social Media. I'd rather take the additional time to make those edits without Gen Fill than get that label.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2024 Jun 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tag on the image uploaded to Instagram says precisely, "Made with AI." When all you did was touch up an image, this is very misleading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tag on the image uploaded to Instagram says precisely, "Made with AI." When all you did was touch up an image, this is very misleading.

By @Cegrix

Totally agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 18, 2024 Jun 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The tag on the image uploaded to Instagram says precisely, "Made with AI." When all you did was touch up an image, this is very misleading."

If you are deathly allergic to peanuts, is it very misleading for a restaurant to label a dish "Made with peanuts" if only a few were used in the recipe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typically, restaurants and food products will say "May contain peanuts", not "Made with peanuts."

Besides that, you're comparing labeling a product so a person doesn't have an allergic reaction or die to how a photo is labeled when some AI assistant tools were used. The two have nothing to do with one another and it's a complete non sequitur. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These generative ai-tools are very easy to avoid. For minor retouching there is no reason to use any ai tools.

If you're expanding the canvas using ai, that's, well, using ai. You may want to use content aware fill instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, but there should still be a distinction between the tag you get when you've used some AI tools to retouch a photo you took versus completely generating an image from scratch using AI. If an image is completely AI generated then "Made with AI" makes sense. If it's mostly your photo, but you used an AI tool to add a bit or replace something in the image it shouldn't still be labeled as "Made with AI". Something more granular such as "AI Was Used in This Image" or  "AI Tools Used in Retouching" would be more accurate. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your reply is very misleading.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also coming across this dilema. Don't have any answers yet but curious what people are talking about for this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is currently one of the unresolved questions around AI and imaging. What to label, how, and when. There are no easy answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is currently one of the unresolved questions around AI and imaging. What to label, how, and when. There are no easy answers.

By @Lumigraphics

I totally agree with you. But, at the same time, Adobe was so proud of these new AI features in Photoshop and Lightroom. They've been touting them a lot and marketing them to everyday photographers out there making a living; alluding to saving time in their workflow, or being able to easily expand the background to photos when they wish they'd shot them a little wider, or being able to quickly and easily change the aspect ratio and fill in the background.

So, they market the new tools to professional photographers as a way to reduce their workflow, but then those same photographers are going to have their work labeled as "Made with AI" if they're just using the tools for the smallest of fixes, making their clients and potential clients think they're putting in little-to-no effort or just faking their photos. If the AI is just another tool, like the heal or clone stamp tool, why aren't are photos labeld as "Made with Photoshop" any time we use those? Again, I know a lot of this is on the social media sites and how they're choosing to use the metadata Adobe is putting in the images, but it makes me not want to use the AI tools at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/30/554750939/france-aims-to-get-real-retouched-photo...

By @Lumigraphics

See, that wouldn't really bother me, because most people know that almost every photo is retouched to some degree. I have no problem telling my clients that I retouch their photos. In fact, my skill at retouching is part of the reason they hire me. But, if I spent a bunch of time retouching photos in Photoshop and then all of my photos were labeled as "Made with Photoshop", that has a much different implication. It would sound like Photoshop did all the work, rather than me having 25+ years of experience with the program and knowing how to make my images look beautiful without looking fake or overdone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the AI is just another tool, like the heal or clone stamp tool, why aren't are photos labeld as "Made with Photoshop" any time we use those?

By @SK321

In a way, they are already labeled that way and have been for a long time. An image saved by an editor such as Photoshop may have the application name in the metadata, regardless of which features you used. The metadata display in the picture below is from a non-Adobe application, but Photoshop wrote that metadata in there. This is on the Mac, but I would guess Windows Properties has also displayed the Software Agent metadata line for many years. (It might be called something different; I think it appears as “Application” in Adobe Bridge or Lightroom Classic.)

Metadata---Software-Agent-Photoshop.jpg

One major difference is that conventional metadata is easy to change. But Content Credentials are crytographically verified, what they claim is “tamper evident.”

About the Instagram “Made with AI” label, we have to be careful about thinking about that separately from what Photoshop writes into the file. Because word is that the Instagram “Made with AI” label is not directly connected to content authenticity metadata, but has more to do with some proprietary Instagram analyzer that seems to label an image “Made with AI” even if the image has no metadata at all. This misrepresentative labeling on the part of Instagram is the source of many complaints at the moment. I see some accounts I follow having to write something in the description like “Instagram says this is AI, but it isn’t, and it’s so frustrating.”

I agree that it might be necessary to have more granuarity in how the use of AI is described, because as you said, just expanding your own photo is a lot different than making up entirely new content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i agree its really annoying, but its neccessary in order to prevent deep-fakes from masquerading as real photos. my prediction? the AI software is still pretty new, and it will get better with time as the kinks are worked out, so hopefully this wont be an issue, in say, 2 years. for now, maybe take SK321's advice, "just export your photos as a bitmap, open them with Microsoft Paint and save them as a JPEG from there. It will remove the relevant metadata."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is indeed a Mike Tyson style uppercut and i didn't even see it coming. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an easy answer. Offer a no Ai version of adobe products. Legacy products if we have to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is an easy answer. Offer a no Ai version of adobe products. Legacy products if we have to. 

By @Stephen38066671y9i9

There is an easy answer. Don't use AI features.  :]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2024 Jun 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are doing away with anything but the Ai features. We just have the foresight to see it. Whereas you do not. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 28, 2024 Jun 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Stephen38066671y9i9 

Meta claims that they are the ones who are adding "Made with AI":

https://about.fb.com/news/2024/04/metas-approach-to-labeling-ai-generated-content-and-manipulated-me...

"We will begin labeling a wider range of video, audio and image content as “Made with AI” when we detect industry standard AI image indicators or when people disclose that they’re uploading AI-generated content."

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines