• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Modify Text Box Without Scaling Font Size? Edit document size?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2022 Mar 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator, I can easily modify the text box without scaling the font; however, I can't figure out how to do this is Photoshop.

If I attempt to expand the bounds of the text box in photoshop, it enlarges my font; which, is not what I want to do.

On a side note, I really wish some of the features in each application were consistent across applications. Adobe users should be able to switch between Adobe programs with ease; however, this is not the case because each program is SO different. 

A simple "document setup" box in Photoshop would also be great. How do you modify the canvas size in Photoshop?

Kindly,

Dana

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Move tool for this? If so, try using the Text tool. Click on some text with it, and it will show the text box, which you can then resize without scaling, although it can cause your text to reflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RebelRD 

Photoshop and Illustrator work the same way on this:

• If you click, then type text, you get Point Text. Scaling resizes the typesize. Shift keeps it proportional.
  • If you drag, then type text, you get Area Type and the text is in a frame. Resizing the frame does not scale the text. It resizes the frame.

Both applications allow you to convert from one to the other. Illustrator has widgets. Photoshop requires going to the Type menu.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-type.html

To modify the canvas size in Photoshop:

• Image menu > Canvas size
    or
  • Crop tool > crop larger

The applications are much closer together than they were 30 years ago, but every time one team makes a change for consistency across applications, it angers the long time users of the other. Do you remember when Illustrator switched the Zero point from the bottom left to the top left? Or when Photoshop changed the keyboard shortcuts for channels?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jane. I am a long-term Illustrator user. It is indeed the best app on the planet. I'm not sure I recall the reference you make, but I do hope they never remove "save for web, legacy." 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2022 May 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@RebelRD wrote:

I'm not sure I recall the reference you make,

Hi

You're welcome, Dana, and I also love Illustrator! 

I made two references and I'm not sure which you don't recall.

Here is a chart for plotting the x/y axis with positive and negative numbers. Illustrator used to use the top right quadrant, measuring the "1" on the Y axis from the bottom. All other applications use the lower right quadrant (omitting the minus). When Illustrator switched for consistency, users went ballistic!

0869FA86-DE47-493F-ABBC-500DB0FC34C4.png

The second was for the shortcuts for channels in Photoshop. You can still use the legacy shortcuts (from CS3 and earlier) by going to Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts > enable “Use Legacy Channel Shortcuts”. Cmd+1 had been the shortcut for the first channel and was changed for consistency to a View shortcut.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines