• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Graphics card not detected in Photoshop 22.3.1 on Windows 10

Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I update Photoshop CC2021 to vers 22.3.1 on 4-14-2021. Now photoshop does not recognizes the graphic accelerator.

I have a Nvidia Gforce GTX 1050Ti Graphic card never had any problems before when updating. I had to revert back to vers. 22.3 to make it work again.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-64828}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Hi,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 22.4 in which we have included some bug fixes related to the "GPU not getting detected" in Photoshop. Please update Photoshop to the 22.4 version and let us know your feedback. To update Photoshop to the latest version, you can check: https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/creative-cloud-updates.html

For information on other issues fixed with this update, please check: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 355 Replies 355
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin, the real background here is that Apple dropped OpenGL support in 2018, with no advance warning. That pulled the rug from under Photoshop's entire GPU code, and 15 years of development had to be rewritten for Metal (and DirectX on Windows). That migration process is a monumental undertaking, still in progress.

Generally, however, this is the reality for all of us: the upgrade train moves on, and everything needs to be on board, all the components in your entire system. There's only one way to get off that train: freeze everything. Stop updating anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@martins1508025 , we are in the midst of transitioning more of the core code to be Metal-based, and for a time, unfortunately, we are havingt to shut down dependencies on older GPUs like yours because they are inherently unstable. As we ramp up Metal work, I would expect you will see performance gains and better stability, all without having to use that old GPU, and eventually, even without you having to replace it. The longer lived this generation of GPU technology is, the longer we'll be able to stabilize and optimize for peak performance.

We don't go through painful transitions like this very often; OpenCL had been going since before 2008; that's a long time, and it will take some time to remove hard dependencies as we transition to 'native' Metal for Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a brand new mac that I just got last fall.  I don't think that the age of my graphics card is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My GPU is a AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB.  Still not working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update 22.4 solved the problem with the video card, and look that my video card is very humble, inbound. Nividia MX110

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed version 22.4 and encountered the same problem.  Program crashed and wouldn't open.  Then I received a notice of inability to open the program with a statement that there was no explanation as to how to fix.  Doesn't seem that the new version fixed the problem, at least not for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@bdewittsd, this is a long thread, and we've seen some people report disabled GPUs (which seems to have been addressed), and others reporting crashes. I'd like to take the crashing issue as a separate issue, since we don't know how that could be related to the GPU at this point.

Check out this help doc, and if you continue to have issues, let's start a new thread.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/freeze-on-launch.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mark.  I actually didn't know to reboot (although I should since it is the universal "fixer").  I tried that and it looks like that might have solved the problem.  I'll report back if I have issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I can get it to work, but only if I don't exit out of the program.  Once I quit and try to reopen it's back to the fail. Then if I do a complete restart it will work again until I close it, which is kind of a pain because I have to exit out of everything I have open and wait for the restart.  I did upgrade to the 22.4.1 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried again and this is still the situation. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crashing is may have more causes than GPU, and at this point, I'm not sure there is a connection between the GPU and the crasher you are seeing. Are you on Mac or Win? What version of the OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 10 21H1 with all updates   Photoshop is also fully up to date.

Opening PS ion my Laptop everything  works fine. When I open PS  with my Dell Monitor it doesn't recognise the GPU.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the specific graphics card with the Dell monitor?

1. Photoshop doesnt work well with dual graphic cards - this page explains how to resolve.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html#Troubleshoot 

2. The GPU requirements changed significantly with newer versions of Photoshop. If you are running a depricated/older graphics card - it wont work with Photoshop. This page goes into detail on the minimums and how to check:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac.  iOS Version Catalina 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac.  Catalina 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on a mac.  Catalina version 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install the latest security update from Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212530

Restart your computer, rebuild Photoshop prefs if you have to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After posting the topic "Photoshop 22.3.1 falls GTX570 vga driver" and it is merged with this one I am sad to come here to repost.

The new update 22.4 is maintaining the same problem.
Again I had to regress the version one more time

Sou CEO da ZeroArts. E atuo como Publicitário / Designer Gráfico -> diegotillmann.com.br/links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GTX570 is an 11 year old GPU that does not meet the minimum system requirements for the current version of Photoshop.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html

For the reasons Mark explained above, those minimum system requirements have changed as the graphics routines are rewritten.

That said, you may wish to try the following , whilst you look toward updating your GPU.

Try creating a text file named PSUserConfig.txt and containing the lines:
# Force GPU On
GPUForce 1
Save that text file to :
Windows: [InstallationDrive]:\Users \ [UserName]\ AppData\ Roaming\ Adobe\ [Photoshop_version]\[Photoshop_version]Settings\
macOS: //Users/[UserName]/Library/Preferences/[Photoshop_version]Settings/
This will force Photoshop to use your GPU but please note though that this is requires v22.4 and is not officially supported by Adobe, so may cause other issues such as instability or crashes when Photoshop tries to use your older GPU to carry out functions designed for a newer GPU - so you do it at your own risk.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like  as I said before, it doesn't matter how old the vga is. Version 22.4 fully supports it.

If you are able to invest in new hardware, congrats to you. I have no way, it is already chaos enough with this pandemic around the world affecting all sectors of the economy, mainly in my country.

Any justification of functions with an absurd need for new tec features from a version 22.2 to a version 22.3 or 22.4, does not make any sense. You can continue to argue as much as you can about the age of vga card, etc ... it was medium/highend in your time and was 100% a few days ago.

Thanks for reply.

Sou CEO da ZeroArts. E atuo como Publicitário / Designer Gráfico -> diegotillmann.com.br/links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, first line

"Version 22.2 fully supports it."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you actually read what has been written? I'll try again.

The graphics functions are being rewritten to use Direct X and Metal rather than OpenGL. This change is driven by changes in the operating systems and advances in GPU functions.

That means that a GPU that worked well in an older version, using Open GL may not work in the latest version which uses Direct X or Metal. The GPU calls are different. So the fact that an older GPU worked well in 22.2 is not a guarantee that it will still work in 22.4.

As Mark points out, there really is a major change going on within Photoshop.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your tip "PSUserConfig.txt"

Works fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, but just remember that it has only bought a little time. As more progress is made on changing the functionality within Photoshop's graphics routines, the more chance your GPU will not work in a stable way.

It's time to think about an update.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He may be thinking for a while. I just checked my local friendly webshop, where I've purchased almost all of my computer gear over the years. They have in stock:

• GT 710 1GB
  • GT 710 2GB
  • GT 730 2GB
  • Quadro P620 2GB

That's it. That's all they have.

It's crazy. Is this all crypto-mining, or are there other reasons for this insane situation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines