• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to export to SVG from Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PS file that has text that I converted to a shape, plus another shape. I want to convert that to an SVG file, but, when I use the Explort As dialog, the only export file options are GIF, PNG and JPG. If I do Save As, the only options are Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF, and TIFF. 

I searched the help system, there's nothing there that I can find. Did they remove SVG export from Photoshop?? I sure hope not. I have Photoshop 22.4.3. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Hi everyone,

I understand how difficult it must be not to be able to export into an SVG format through Photoshop. However, I wanted to suggest trying Adobe Express as a possible solution for converting your images into the desired format: https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/convert/svg?cgen=JQVGW3QK&mv=other

I genuinely hope this helps in your work. Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Hi all,

Export to SVG format functionality discontinued from Photoshop 22.5 version in August'2021 last year. This feature in Photoshop has always been experimental and discontinued due to low usage and limitations.

If you still want to export your Photoshop document as SVG, you can follow any of these workarounds here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/export-artboards-layers.html#discontinue-export-as-svg

For Apple M1 users: Open Photoshop using Rosetta and ensure Preferences > tec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 251 Replies 251
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TomH07 It's available in File > Export > Export As for me. I tested this with a .psd file with layers and the svg option is still there.

JainLemos_0-1627335193469.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I don't have SVG as an option in my Export As dialog, why is it missing? 

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 3.14.03 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally strange! Maybe try reinstalling, a preferences reset, or rolling back to an earlier version to see if that clears it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 27, 2021 Jul 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious if SVG is not displayed on your side, you can do that still by scripting. Follow short insctruction in my linked post, and then use the script you find in another linked thread: Extract SVG vector from PSD file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, If you are using photoshop in windows then you just have to go to Edit > Preferences > Export .. > and select Use legacy "Export As". You will be see the svg option in Export As Dialog Box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interestingly, on the Mac (Photoshop version 22.4.3), Preferences indeed includes an option for Quick Export where you can select SVG, but... it does nothing (it doesn't give an error, either).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2022 Sep 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works, just tried it, as of 9/23/2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it work when you choose the new Save a Copy (not Save As)?

[EDIT: Ignore this post]

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jane-e   Hi Jane

On Windows (I don't know about Mac) SVG is only in Export As not in Save as or Save a Copy

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @davescm , for some reason I was thinking EPS, not SVG.  😊 Anyway, I've tested properly and SVG is available on Mac with Export.

@TomH07 : Is this happening with all files or just the one file?

~ Jane

janee_0-1627340292102.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, it seems to be the case for any file that I've opened so far. I tried creating a new simple document with two simple shape layers, and there's no SVG option in the export panel. I'm using an M1 iMac, is anyone else using one of those and having the same problem? 

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.29.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.27.23 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. There are a lot of file type options available for Save as a Copy, but none are SVG. It seems to be completely missing from my version for some reason, even though I know I could do it a few months ago. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 3.16.16 PM.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you show a screenshot of your layers panel

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave, this is my layers panel. It's two shape layers and a background. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 5.24.09 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just noticed in your reply to Jane that you said you are using an M1 Mac.

See this help article for known issues and advice on M1 (which includes issues with Exporting SVG)

Photoshop for Apple Silicon

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm, this is happening on both Windows and MacOS (Intel) versions as well (tested with Photoshop 22.5.0). Option to export to SVG via Export As... dialog is missing. However, it is still possible to Copy SVG from context menu (right-click on the layer in Layer palette). This is rather annoying:(

ps-svg-bug-1.pngps-svg-bug-2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Spirik Your issue in 22.5 Export As is different to the original raised in this thread.

In 22.5 SVG has been removed from Export As, however it can be returned by going to Preferences > Export and checking "Use Legacy Export As"

See 22.5 update page here :

Feature summary | Photoshop desktop (August 2021 release)

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SIGH! Why does Adobe keep removing features that people are still using? SVG is now a very popular format for web development. The Legacy Export option is so incredibly slow, that's a terrible workaround. I use Photoshop mostly for web development, and the SVG export from PS was better than another app I was using. So disappointing they're removing that option when it worked great, this just keeps pushing me to other non-Adobe apps for design. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why does Adobe keep removing features that people are still using?"

No-one here can answer that question as we don't work for Adobe. If you want to address your comments to Adobe developers you can do so here: Adobe Photoshop Family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No-one here can answer that question as we don't work for Adobe. "

It wasn't a question. It's an outcry. And a valid one. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 31, 2021 Aug 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

If you are missing SVG format from Export as option after the Photoshop 22.5 update then, go to Photoshop > Preferences > Export > Enable "Use legacy Export As" option > restart Photoshop. You should start seeing the SVG format under Export as option.

If you are seeing this issue prior to Photoshop 22.5 update and using M1 machine (Apple Silicon), take a look at M1 native known issue here: Photoshop for Apple Silicon

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2022 Jan 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except the legacy Export as is no longer an option.

Funny that in order to save SVG's, which many people still use, you need Illustrator which is twice the price of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick reminder that SVG is a vector format and you can't really output vector data from Photoshop. You need Illustrator for that.

An SVG can contain raster data, and that's what you'd get from Photoshop. Exporting to SVG won't make it vector.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Photoshop can handle both vector and raster data, and it output SVG files perfectly when the image contained just shapes. I think Adobe just wants to force people who need SVG for web development to lease another app from them for a monthly fee. Instead I bought Affinity Designer for $50 to do SVG exports of vector images. It works very well, and I now have an illustration app for those odd times I need one without paying a monthly ransom to Adobe. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines