• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: How to export to SVG from Photoshop?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2021 Jul 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a PS file that has text that I converted to a shape, plus another shape. I want to convert that to an SVG file, but, when I use the Explort As dialog, the only export file options are GIF, PNG and JPG. If I do Save As, the only options are Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF, and TIFF. 

I searched the help system, there's nothing there that I can find. Did they remove SVG export from Photoshop?? I sure hope not. I have Photoshop 22.4.3. 

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Hi everyone,

I understand how difficult it must be not to be able to export into an SVG format through Photoshop. However, I wanted to suggest trying Adobe Express as a possible solution for converting your images into the desired format: https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/convert/svg?cgen=JQVGW3QK&mv=other

I genuinely hope this helps in your work. Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Hi all,

Export to SVG format functionality discontinued from Photoshop 22.5 version in August'2021 last year. This feature in Photoshop has always been experimental and discontinued due to low usage and limitations.

If you still want to export your Photoshop document as SVG, you can follow any of these workarounds here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/export-artboards-layers.html#discontinue-export-as-svg

For Apple M1 users: Open Photoshop using Rosetta and ensure Preferences > tec

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 251 Replies 251
Explorer ,
Dec 19, 2022 Dec 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had an issue with paths turning to raster when transfering to Illustrator. Also then just make your paths shapes. So yes, it is still moot. They simply could have just made only shapes a requirtement for saving as SVG.

I know what the point of SVGs are. Kind of the reason why I'm trying to save as SVG... It's also kind of in the name...Scalable Vector Graphics. No idea why you're attempting a one up rather than actually providing something helpful.

Edit: I've found the solution. It is going to the Photoshop application in finder, selecting info and choosing the open with Rosetta option. 

Link to the post I made for help that has answer: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/no-option-for-svg-export/m-p/13432431...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

expoort preference > mark legacy exports > and you will be able to export as SVG 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess "export as svg" is discontinued. But the new one "Vectornator" is quite good in exporting png files to svg files 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wow... Photoshop... aiming to be a leader in the market... removes svg export. Seriously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is a raster editor.  I never use Photoshop for SVG. 

For best results, export to SVG from Illustrator or some other vector graphics app.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 25, 2022 Jul 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope the photoshop put back the export SVG and work better on web, since now a day using SVG a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG!  Bring back now svg export for legacy users. I've been use photoshop since 1996!!! It's hard to to copying and pasting 16 px web icons to Illustrator all the time! Im thinking that i'm not the only one who design beautiful webpages and apps directly in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2022 Dec 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue. I found the solution but only put how to do it on Mac OS. It shouldn't be hard to do the same for PC.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/no-option-for-svg-export/m-p/13432697...

Crazy that they'd do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2022 Dec 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do not understand why Photoshop, despite being a bitmap editor, could not simply save/export to the most prevalent vector format for the web, when it is able to extract vectors from images using many different methods (Create from image; manual tracing; conversion of selections to paths; and the content aware path tool) and when Photoshop as an entire section of its toolbar dedicated to vectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure this is the answer but I find it interesting...

https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/convert/png-to-svg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, there must be a good SVG-writing API available for Photoshop...

Crazy how many feature requests for the pro apps end up in the consumer side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used Express for high quality graphics.  I wonder if pixel-based PNG to math-based SVG converter could produce an acceptable vector or just a raster/vector hybrid?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There has to be a way to get vectors to Inkscape and save SVG from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 08, 2023 Feb 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I understand how difficult it must be not to be able to export into an SVG format through Photoshop. However, I wanted to suggest trying Adobe Express as a possible solution for converting your images into the desired format: https://www.adobe.com/express/feature/image/convert/svg?cgen=JQVGW3QK&mv=other

I genuinely hope this helps in your work. Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an unacceptable option. When saving in Adobe Express the file is distorted and becomes unusable. Every time I attempt to save it as SVG it creates extra shapes, and colors or/and removes details. 

Why would you remove saving as SVG from Photoshop, instead of just making it a requirement to have only paths when saving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For best results, use a math-based vector graphics app for SVG output; not a pixel-based raster editor. My tool of choice is Adobe Illustrator, but Inkscape will do, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My results never had any issues in Photoshop before the removal. This seems like nothing more than an attempt to sell more Illustrator subscriptions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop fails when it attempts to be something it's not.

• It's NOT a vector graphics app, never was, never will be.
  • It's NOT a 3D builder, never was, never will be.
  • It's NOT a video editor, never was, never will be.
  • Photoshop is and always has been a raster image editor.

Use the right tools for the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I and many others had no issue with it saving SVGs. This is an excuse I constantly see. It worked perfectly other than saving non-paths. I used it for a variety of projects and never had any issues. There is no point in removing it when all that was needed is requiring only paths for saving. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are in the minority.  SVG output from Photoshop was unacceptable for professional users like me.  Adobe did the sensible thing by removing it; should have done it sooner, IMO.  🙂

If you're married to SVG in Photoshop and can't use other tools, then REVERT to an older version of Photoshop.  See direct download links below.

https://prodesigntools.com/adobe-cc-2019-direct-download-links.html

Goodbye & good luck. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can rectify the current version:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/no-option-for-svg-export/m-p/13434423...

Photoshop shouldn't be limited and it's abilities stunted. 

Goodbye & good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or you can rectify the current version:

By @GXC7243

================

Unpaid forum volunteers and fellow product users can't DO anything except use the right tools for the tasks. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not understanding how this solution stops product users. Did you look into the link I posted with detailed instructions on how to save as SVG in Photoshop even with current versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to put another perspective on this as I have a big issue on a current project I like to describe and WHY IT IS NECESSERY to have SVG export option in PSD.

We prepare a group photo for an online client and his website, where the single persons when you hover over them should be able to select individually to get more information.
For this I had to prepare the group photo and put in paths for every single person - so our online team can afterwards use the paths to make the mouse-over areas.
For that I had to use Photoshop (the group photo was put together from single photos and this is a typical psd workflow) and afterwards I put in the paths for the clipping areas, and our online team NEEDS svg as and end file.

Now I am sitting here without being able to give them the file in the format they need it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2023 Jul 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you'll need to find a different workflow. Illustrator maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines