• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure most people are only saving as jpegs for web use or other similar purposes, not using them for edits. I use them for both the web and for preliminary client approval, because they'll open in anything and don't exceed email file size limitations. If one doesn't want the word "copy" as part of the file name, the change forces a previously unnecessary extra step to remove it before saving. It's minor but annoying. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget about "Save As" use "Save A Copy..."  Change your shortcut Shift+Ctrl+S  from "Save As..." to "Save a Copy"  you no longer have to use "Save As" to save your work the way you want to.  "Save As...." had a problem it seems that Apple made changes to their operating system and Save as did not work on Mac  so Adobe change "Save As" to work on Mac.   "Save As..." its function has been changed.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried that and I still don't seen an option for saving as jpg. The only way that works for me is to chose Save As from the File Menu that click on the Save a Copy button on the Save As dialog box, which opens up a lot more formatting options.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see there is already a Save a Copy shortcut created...Alt-Ctrl-S.

I assume one could also create an Action? That being said, could one remove the word copy from the file name, as part of the Action?

I have to also say JJMack, your solutions are pretty much "spot on", based on our interactions. Thanks you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started having the same issue.  I noticed that clicking save a copy allows me to save a jpeg, but it adds a -edit to the back of the filename.  I don't like the extra step in having to push "save a copy"nor do I appreciate the -edit extension being added to my file name.  Is there another work around?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're mixing things up. The "-edit" is what you get in Lightroom when you send a raw file to Photoshop and get back a rendered and separate RGB file.

What we're discussing here is something else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I'm not confused.  What is being discussed is what I have going on.

Here are my steps:  I right click my image from the develop module in Lightroom classic and select "edit in Adobe PS 2021."  The image then opens in PS.  I make my PS adjustments to the file.  At that point I use Ctrl+Shift+S to perform a "save as".  The dialog box that pops up shows the file name with a "-edit" behind the filed name.  The dialog box does not allow me to save the image as a jpeg (only jpeg 2000).  If I then click the button that says "save a copy," it allows me to select a jpeg.  However, if I do not want the "-edit" on the end of my filename, I have to delete the "-edit."  If I use the command Ctrl+Alt+S to perform a "save a copy," the dialog box also renames the file with "-edit" at the end, but it does allow me to select jpeg as it's file type for saving.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also adding, until the latest update, when I would save the file in PS using Ctrl+Shift+S, it would allow me to select jpeg and it would not change my file name in any manner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "-edit" still comes from Lightroom, as a part of the Lightroom script that handles "Edit in Photoshop" from Lightroom. Its purpose is to separate the resulting RGB file from the original raw file, and it has always worked this way, from the beginning of Lightroom. You can change this renaming in Lightroom preferences.

It is unrelated to, and separate from, the change in Photoshop that we're discussing here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

since two days, if I use "save as..." I can only save as "Photoshop, Large Document Formar, TIFF". If I click on the button "Save a Copy...", I can use all formats (also jpeg) but my file name contins "copy".

Does anybody know this proble?

(iMac - macOS Big Sur - 11.3.1 / Photoshop 2021 - 22.4.1 20210518.r.211 7b18b4f x64)

Sven

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new/2021-4.html#save-a-copy

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but this is only for the "save a copy" function. But I won't save a copy. I want to "save as" as JPEG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your image has anything that is not supported in jpeg, for example: layers, 16-bit, etc., you need to choose File > Save a Copy, then select jpeg.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I use RGB and 8 Bit but it doesn't work. It's not a problem with my new images, all images (also the older ones) can't save as JPEG, only as a "copy".
Example:
Named: City_2021.psd
I can save it (with the "save a copy" button) as City_2021copy.jpg
I have to delite the word "copy" every time in the text, this is very anoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's be clear on the premises: When you previously saved out a jpeg from a layered Photoshop file, you always saved out a copy. A layered file cannot be a jpeg, it's not allowed in the jpeg specification. So it has to be a copy.

But previously, Photoshop could strike the "-copy" from the filename as it saved out the copy. That's no longer possible. The new versions of MacOS will not allow it. That's not a bug, that's a deliberate decision from Apple.

Since Photoshop has to work identically on both platforms, they had to change the Windows version too.

The ability to directly save out a jpeg from a layered and/or 16 bit file was added in Photoshop CS5 in 2010. Before that it was simply not possible at all, without first stripping the file of all offending properties. Most people seem to have forgotten that. We got work done back then too...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same problem since today. cant save my photos as jpgs anymore.. but i need to! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has already been covered in this thread, since 22.4  if your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy command. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

To Save As jpeg, rather than Save a Copy, your file would need to have only a background layer, be 8 bit, no transparency or hidden pixels, no additional channels. If it has any of those, then use Save a Copy
Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sir,

could you please help me to avoid below matter while using "save a copy" instead of "save as"

*.Always shows " copy" aftrer original file name.

susanthakt_0-1621574232345.png

It's acctually big issue for me while working with huge quantity of files.

hope you have a solution for this.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If adding copy is a massive issue for you, you could avoid it by creating an action to flatten the file, convert to 8 bit, remove extra channels and hidden bits, Save As jpeg, then step back in history to restore the doc.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the way i do now. 

comparing previous vertion this is poor issue.

anyway thank you for your response

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to make the action's ”Save as …” choose the current folder and not the folder that was choosed when recording the action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noted that and will do.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2021 May 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but we dont need more steps to do what we use to do.  This is terrible "update"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opening a PSD that was made prior to update only gives me the option to save as a PSD, Large Format or Tiff when in RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Take a look at this thread, Adobe has changed how the save as function works in version 22.4

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/version-22-4-0-quot-save-as-quot-formats-have-disappeared/t...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines