• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 22.4 - Missing Save as formats from the menu

New Here ,
May 13, 2021 May 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the mentioned version and the formats dropdown list only shows 3 formats: Photoshop (*.PSD;*.PDD;*.PSDT), *.PSB and TIFF (*.TIF;*.TIFF).

jane-e_0-1620929274567.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

If your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel) then the file format is moved to the Save a Copy menu. This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep the two aligned.

What's new in Photoshop

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Hi All,

We appreciate your feedback on the recent “Save a Copy” change. To address your concerns, we have created two new options in Photoshop 22.4.2 that will enable both revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow and/or omit the addended “copy” when saving as a copy. These options can be found in the File Saving Options section under Preferences > File Handling.

To quickly summarize, you will now have the option to revert to the legacy “Save As” workflow (from before recent changes) on both macOS

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi all

You may already know that flatted file formats have been relocated from the "Save as" menu option to the "Save as Copy" option in Photoshop. To learn more about this workflow update, please refer to the following quick tip: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/learn-how-to-save-all-file-formats-from-photoshop-s-save-as-dialog-quick-tip/td-p/12933468?cgen=ZFN4FD71&mv=other

Or see this video tutorial link

Hope it helps,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 839 Replies 839
New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Who in their right mind thought this was going to improve work flow?

This terrible feature has completely hindered my work flow.

Now my PDFs are saved with the word "copy" at then end of every file name.

First, they make it so you have to uncheck the "save as copy" button when saving a file, not they've added like 5 extra steps altogether. Cannot begin to describe my frustration with every update adobe rolls out. Stop trying to add features that no one asked for and just focus on fixing the problems being adressed by the community. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I understand the new "Save a Copy" feature of the new release and I think it's brilliant, but I'm having difficulties in finding the file format I need (DCS 2.0) even in this new menu. I need to save files in this format in order to import them in InDesign and have the spot channels readable individually.

I now have a TIFF file which I have worked on, but are unable to save as DCS 2.0 even in the "Save a Copy" menu, and I can only save as PSD, RAW and Large Format. The strange thing is that a PSD file with spot channels, which I have creaded before the update, can be saved as DCS 2.0. What can be the reason for which 2 ideally identical files (as far as my limited knowledge can tell), can not be saved in the same way?

Thank you for your answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide the two files? 

Does psd with Spot Channels not work out in Indesign? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PSD that doesn't work can be downloaded at this link (it's 50mb):

https://mega.nz/file/Elh0CDwK#Pk--0jdXUi9V1mUXqUhdKrfQ-wPkaH5O0Y4eWQpxpGI

The other is attached to this post (it's 15mb).

As for the second question, no, as InDesign shows me this dialog when I try to import both PSD files. It's strange because I was told before that PSD can be imported in InDesign.

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 12.55.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, here is the second file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One image is 8bit, the other 16bit. 

As for placing psd in Indesign try using grayscale (or CMYK) with Spot Channels instead of Multichannel. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A psd like this can be placed in Indesign. 

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 13.19.40.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, first of all the 8/16bit solved the issue, and I can find the DSC 2.0 option in the Save a Copy menu. I'll just have to check each time I work on a file for that purpose, to convert it to 8bit before working on it. So big up to that!

As for converting the PSD to greyscale or CMYK with spot channels, I'm not sure how to do, as when I go to "convert to greyscale" only one of the channels becomes greyscale, and when I do import the file to InDesign, that same channel is, unsurprisingly, greyscale. That isn't ideal, and even though I'll print it with a spot ink, so on paper it'll be what I want it to be, the workflow becomes a bit more buggy. But again, I solved the issue in the other way. Still if you want to explain me (and others) what you mean we can learn something new 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just replied to your other post on this subject.

I don't think the DCS issue is related to the changes in 22.4. I've just started another PC to check and the last version I see DCS 2.0 as a save option is CC 2019 (v20) . I don't see it at all in CC2020 (v21) or in CC2021 previous verion (v22.3.1)

You may want to raise it at the link below , where it will be seen by Adobe staff.
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can still see it in 22.4.0 on MacOS 10.15.7

Screenshot 2021-05-17 at 12.51.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely worth raising in the feedback forum as a Windows issue then.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more tests and I found my answer. When I was testing I did not first add a spot channel. As soon as I added a spot channel the DCS1.0 and DCS2.0 options appeared in Save a Copy.

Now this is where it gets really strange - I started a new document and repeated my tests without a spot channel. The DCS options remain available in the list. Strange !!!

Closing and re-opening Photoshop - the DCS options are still there. So something in the step of using a simple document and adding a spot channel has added the DCS options to my file type list.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be some »random« mishap then – I suspect testing for some file-formats that are not widely used anymore may have been minimal. 

Which of course might still hurt those users that still rely on them … 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At least I could get them back with the steps :

Start a new 8 bit doc,

Add spot channel,

Save a Copy

DCS then appeared. If it disappears again Ill try a preference reset.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, I'll look into that as well. I'm a bit confused as now I solved my particular case with the 8/16 bitrate, but when I follow your steps (empty document, new spot channel, save a copy) I get the whole list of files that I had in the previous version of Photoshop. Why is that, it goes beyond my limited comprehension, but it might be helpful for others! Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why is that, it goes beyond my limited comprehension"

Mine too!  I wish I had done a preference reset before restoring the file types with the steps above. It may be that the problem was a carry forward of a corruption in my preferences and a simple reset would have restored them. Unless they disappear again, I'll never know 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would still encourage you to start using psd for images with spot colors. 

If you handle the data in-house exclusively it may be truly irrelevant but if you have to pass them on it might make things easier. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only shows PS, TIF or Large Document Format. I tried with the latest version, then installed the previous version, but still doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since v22.4, if your file contains items that are not supported in your required format (e.g. layers or 16 bits/channel or hidden pixels etc) then the file format is moved from Save As (Shift+Ctrl+S) to the Save a Copy command (Alt+Ctrl+S). This was driven by changes in the Mac Operating System, although the changes are applied to both Mac and Windows versions to keep them aligned.

In the case of PDF it will appear in Save a Copy as the dialogues that follow the choice of the PDF format, allow elements of the file to be lost (e.g. downsampling or not keeping editability). So it is in the Save a Copy category.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/whats-new.html

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried save as copy as well, it wrote system error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is PDF not in Save As. In past releases saved Photoshop PDF image file open as layered photoshop documents nothing seemed missing to me. What does Photoshop PDF format not support? Photoshop PDF format seem to be different than Acrobat PDF format.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack wrote:

Why is PDF not in Save As.

Hi

See this answer to your question from @davescm on Page 1 of this thread:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop/p-save-as-formats-have-disappeared-photoshop-22-4/m-p/12063...

~ Jane

FCBB9860-B21F-470D-BD5A-CC65D327AB91.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case PSD may save all the can be save or may not save all you loose preview full composite I believe Lightroom  needs. Why is PSD in Save As.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a PSD you can re-open it and all your content will be there.

With a PDF that is not always the case, depending on the specific PDF version and options chosen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the size in pixels? Maybe it exceeds the maximum size for PSD or JPG?

What is the color depth? JPGs support only 8bit/Channel.

Does save as copy work? Apple has changed its navigation services, so that some commands had to be changed for some file types and Adobe changes those UI items on Mac and Windows to be on pair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines