• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 24.3 Strobes in Black and White when Opening files

New Here ,
Mar 13, 2023 Mar 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when attempting to open a photo in Photoshop on my HP Laptop, details below, the photo appears in the layers tab bottom right, but not in the workspace /desktop: It is a constant Black / White strobe. The desktop /workspace flashes Black and white

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎24/‎03/‎2021
OS build 19044.2604
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Hi All,

Apologies for the flashing/strobing you're experiencing when opening files, this tends to affect older graphics cards (GPU) that don't support all of the aspects of DirectX 12.

For Windows:

1. Update Photoshop to version 24.5 or later
  2. Enable the Older GPU Mode option in Preferences > Technology Previews > “Use Older GPU Mode (pre 2016)"
  3. Check if there's a GPU driver update available and update if so

For macOS:

1. Update Photoshop to version 24.5 or later
  2. Update to a newer or latest ma

Votes

Translate

Translate

correct answers 1 Pinned Reply

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

We would like to find out if there are any of you on Windows for whom:

A. Use Older GPU Mode is Checked, and

B. Deactivate Native canvas is Unchecked, and

C. are still experiencing this strobing issue with a GPU that supports DirectX 12?

If so, could you please provide Photoshop's Help > System Info dialog text in this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1249 Replies 1249
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help - after following the recommendations, everything is ok, the program works properly. Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2023 Mar 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@olek you're welcome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't used Photoshop in a few weeks, but there have been CC updates in the meantime. When I opened a file tonight, a flashing blank white screen appeared, like a strobe light. I tried opening other recent files, with the same result. The actual file doesn't open—it's just the strobe light thing. Any idea what's going on? I'm using Windows 10 with the latest version of Photoshop CC. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In photoshop go to Edit>Preferences > Technology Previews and check Disable Native Canvas, then restart Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say Thank You.  Got my HP 440 with P4000 GPU working again with PhotoShop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've updated photoshop and when I open an image it's just flashing like a strobe light, no image is appearing. 

Is there a fix for this? I've uninstalled and re-installed and stil the same thing. I've had to go back to the previous version which work fine. 

v. 24.4.1 

Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open photoshop preferences>technology preview>check "disable native canvas"

restart photoshop

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post if it helps you get responses.

<moved from using the community>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help and advice! Much apreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lisa29269180sj6m 

you're welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it work with:

• Deactivate Native Canvas Checked and Older GPU Not Checked
  • Deactivate Native Canvas Not Checked and Older GPU Checked
  • Both Checked

Asus laptop with Windows 11, Core i7 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my online subscription, I updated my Photoshop to 2023 version. When I tried to open a PSD file created with an older version it doesn't open. It keeps giving me a flashing white page. So I tried to start a new file and it did the same thing -- white flashes, white flashes, white flashes. Basically I cant use Photoshop 2023 at all. I searched online for a solution. I read something that says under"File", go to  "Preference", then go to "Performance", uncheck the "Use Graphics Processor". THAT ACTUALLY WORKS! I was able to open psd files from old version and was able start a new file. I can actually use Phoshop 2023! Unfortunately, I just purchased a phoshop plug-in that requires the "Use Graphics Processor" to be check on. Is there a fix to this? If not, can I go back to an older version, like 2020, 2021 or 2022, and how to do that?

Roland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can recheck use graphics processor, and instead go to Preferences > Technology Previews > Older GPU mode.

This is caused by new graphics functions in PS that don't play well with older GPUs. If at some point you get a new GPU you won't have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Roland2023 

Yes, you can go back to the previous version in the Creative Cloud app (until you can update your GPU, as per the instructions from @D Fosse.) Adobe offers the current and one previous version.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prior to Photoshop 24.3 all was well, after 24.3 and 24.4 the program starts fine, but when a new page is created or a image file is opened the tab screen continuously flashes and will eventually go black. The recent page shows the image that was opened correctly, but will not display in the tab frame.

I am using a Win10 22H2 computer with the most recent Nvidia drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola, yo tengo el mismo problema, quiero ingresar y la pestaña empieza a parpadear y no me permite trabajar sobre la misma. Lo desintale e instale y el problema persiste.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try enabling "Deactivate Native Canvas" in General Preferences and restarting Photoshop; better?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello people the last few days i have a problem when i have upload a photo in the photoshop the window is open but there is no photo just flashing the screen white and black , if i go to the filter and open it with the  camera raw is ok but if i go back to photoshop there is only black . Have enyone the same problem `?

Tnank you .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks this worked, after two months of attempting several options 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might help: 

Pete.Green

Adobe Employee Mar 22, 2023

Hi All,

Apologies for the flashing/strobing you're experiencing when opening files, this tends to affect older graphics cards (GPU) that don't support all of the aspects of DirectX 12.

For Windows:

1. Enable the Older GPU Mode option in Preferences > Technology Previews > “Use Older GPU Mode (pre 2016)"
  2. Check if there's a GPU driver update available and update if so

For macOS:

1. Update to a newer or latest macOS version (to update the GPU driver which accompanies macOS updates)
  2. Uncheck "Automatic graphics switching" found in System Preferences > Battery > Battery

If you're still having issues after trying these troubleshooting steps, the next recommendation would be to look into updating your graphics card (GPU) to something a bit more modern.

Regards,

PG

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-photoshop-strobes-black-and-white-w...

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps try a thorough reset of Photoshop preferences?

(read this entire post before acting please)

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes.

If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Manually removing preferences files is the most complete method for restoring Photoshop to its default state: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

Note re macOS: The user Library folder is hidden by default.

To access files in the hidden user Library folder, see here for how to access hidden user library files.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

Unexpected behaviour may indicate damaged preferences. Restoring preferences to their default settings is a good idea when trying to troubleshoot unexpected behaviours in Photoshop. check out the video

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#reset_preferences

Learn how to access and modify Photoshop preferences and customise per your frequent workflows

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And here’s an earlier forum discussion as an aid to understanding

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info about that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Before you reset your preferences

in case of future issues, I suggest you make a copy as Adobe may need one to check problematic references. 

Quit Photoshop.
Go to Photoshop's Preferences folder

Preferences file locations: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html\

[on MacOS see: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

Note for those on macOS: - be aware that the user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS.

https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/access-hidden-user-library-files.html

In the Finder, open the “Go” menu whilst holding down the Option (Alt) key.

Library will now appear in the list - below the current user's “home” directory. ]

Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe as a back-up of your settings.

Note for those on macOS:

Preference preservation is affected by macOS permissions,

you’ll need to allow Photoshop ‘Full Disk Access’ in your Mac OS Preferences/Security and Privacy

If that doesn't fix the issue:

Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.

Still hanging? 

Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. 

Still got problems?

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

It’s recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

(See above about preserving preferences though! It’s worth preserving them unless they are corrupted.)

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This info from Adobe may help you I hope:

Pete.Green

Hi All,

For Windows:

1. Enable the Older GPU Mode option in Preferences > Technology Previews > “Use Older GPU Mode (pre 2016)"

For macOS:

1. Update to a newer or latest macOS version (to update the GPU driver which accompanies macOS updates)
  2. Uncheck "Automatic graphics switching" found in System Preferences > Battery > Battery

If you're still having issues after trying these troubleshooting steps, the next recommendation would be to look into updating your graphics card (GPU) to something a bit more modern.

Regards,

PG

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/p-photoshop-strobes-black-and-white-w...

neil barstow, colourmanagement net  - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2023 Apr 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ümit294044469ceu or try this

Pete.Green

Copy link to clipboard

Hi All,

For Windows:

For macOS:

Regards,

PG

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beta version not working,
When an image (any format) is opened,
the window where the picture is starts flashing black and white and is very annoying to the eyes, like a flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the Photoshop (Beta) version, and when I tried to open an image using this beta app, I get the problem of the strobbing in black and white, however, if I open the regular Photoshop version which is up to date (24.4.1) there is no problem opening images. My system configuration is as follows:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM: 32.0 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Display adapters (graphic card?): AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Edition Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H2

I really would like to try this beta's version new features. Any ideas of how to solve this problem with Photoshop Beta version will be much appreciated.  THANKS!

Rocío López-Bretzlaff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2023 Apr 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I solved the problem following the advice of one of the members, of checking the box "Deactive Native Canvas" in the Preferences> Technology Previous, menu.

Thanks to the Adobe member that provided this solution!

Rocío López-Bretzlaff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines