• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error while opening or creating new document after Photoshop 22.1 update [2020]

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since yesterday's update, can´t even open a jpg file. Always says: Could not complete your request because of a program error. I need to work.

{Moderator Note: Edited the thread title, PS-52603}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Hi all,

05/20 update: We have resolved another program error issue while dragging assets from libraries to the artboard in Photoshop 22.4.1 update. Could you please update Photoshop to the 22.4.1 version via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app and let us know your feedback.

Here's how you update Photoshop to its latest version: Update Creative Cloud apps

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 1058 Replies 1058
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2020 Oct 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your workaround does not work. WTF are people supposed to do????
I hope you are giving everybody a free month after the bull**** Adobe pulled. Who do you think you are, Trump vs. COVID???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, whose stupid idea was it to do this during a Mercuury retrograde?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okey seems we are all experiencing same problem. in all the other Adobe programs I still can open my files, except for photoshop that keeps on saying "unable to find document"...guess we ll have to wait for you to fix this asap, in order to work w it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test test

Address: 17949 Main St., #1025, Dumfries, VA 22026

Phone Number: 703.569.0504

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue with Photoshop v.22 (2021). Installed today (10/21/20), got error message trying to open ANY file, and same error message when trying to close Photoshop (had to force close with Task Manager). Tried removing configuration files folder, then Photoshop opened with a COMPLETELY unfamiliar UX, and STILL wouldn't open files, or close itself. Fortunately, I still have a working installation of v.21 (2020). Completely uninstalled v.22, and will wait a few months for this dazzling marvelous new update (if it actually works by then)....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I go back to v21 2020???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Creative Cloud uninstall PS. When it’s finished, find PS in the apps on
CC and next to it are 3 dots. Click on those and you will see other
version or older version. Install that and you will have a working version
until the update is fixed.--

Cami

Cambria McCue

McAbbott Studios

804-505-0443

Visit me at:

www.mcabbottstudios.com
[image: 8x12 Gallery Collage.jpg]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the workarounds, disabling graphics processor and the others except for uninstalling and reverting back to the last version before update ( I'm not urgently needing ps at the moment so would rather wait for a fix than do this ). Just to confirm, I'm not getting an error message, just the tools and selections arent functioning, there's visual stuff like buttons and selections disappearing,,layers panel and other windows are on the screen but not functioning or changeable, files open but in a separate tab but not as it normally would and still under one main tab, crashes not long after trying to do anything.8and

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am able to resolve the issue by first, manually removing the perference settings and reloading PS. second, uncheck the use of my graphics card (which i of course would like to re-instate it, if possible) and again reloading PS.

since i am using a Windows system, i will force shutdown PS (go to the Task Manager through Ctrl+Alt+Del) if clicking on the X in the top right-hand corner does not work.

Unfortunately, i found a new problem. after opening a PSD or image file, i am unable to toggle to the Hand Tool whenever i depress the Spacebar if my active tool is something else. the same error message will appear:

error.JPG

i would appreciate if Adobe is able to resolve this bug soon, as the ability to temporarily toggle the Hand Tool is really useful for larger images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, same story like everyone else. Downgraded to previous version which works fine. Ill wait 

until they find a fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you downgrade to older version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey - open Creative Cloud, select All Apps .. click the 3 dots next to Photoshop v22 and select uninstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having "programme error" everytime trying to open a file in updated latest version of photoshop. Hope it will get fixed soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, is there a rough timeline on when a fix will be out? If its more than a week I'll revert back if not i can wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Graphics is up to date, windows up to date, but like others I cannot open a file or close the program (have to use ctrl alt delete) because of the program error. Lesson learned, do not uninstall old versions of PS until new program has proved it has no bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Luckily I have been able to reinstall version 20 from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. Please know we are looking at this issue closely. Unfortunately, there are a few different root causes and we are still identifying them individually. 

We are working on a patch but the above steps should help to get you working again in the meantime. 

Thanks, Sympa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

turning off the gpu seemes to work. from what I've read that may decrease other functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct this is one of the workarounds but there are 4 or more possible root causes. Please know we are looking at this issue closely. Unfortunately, there are a few different root causes and we are still identifying them individually. 

We are working on a patch but the above steps should help to get you working again in the meantime. 

Thanks, Sympa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there! 

Tried BOTH work arounds, nothing has worked. This program is completely unusable at this point... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't worry about going back to the previous version. After getting 1 computer to work after turning off the graphic processer, the new much vaunted neural filters do not work, either giving an error message or freezing the program until closing it. So one of the main reasons for upgrading is useless. Pity the development team did not spend more time on actual intellegence to get the program working and less on AI for marketing reasons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not going to be too mean to the developers on this but someone forgot to do some kind of QC testing for this release. 😕 

Going back to the previous version has worked, thank god.. I have work to do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how do I go back to the previous version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to think I was actually considering updating this time after reverting back to 21.1.3 after the 21.2.1. update. I thought breaking the Adjustment Layers was bad. But this ... there are no words. Glad I checked first. 🤦🏻‍:male_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously i was trusting Adobe and had no issues with any installed software. It is kinda sad to see this failure, i can accept it from Luminar, but Adobe...I am sorry.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines