• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ps Splash Screen - Why am I getting Rings of Power ad?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is revolting; I pay monthly for Photoshop, and now I'm forced to see an ad for the Amazon Rings of Power series every time I open it?

This is a disservice to the consumer; what is the next step? having to see a 30-second ad in order to save a file?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Partnership, ad, cross-promotional opportunity… call it what you like. Adobe is giving a nod to several artists from various walks of life who created assets for Amazon Prime's LotR TV series. Who commissioned who is not immediately clear, but it seems rather innocuous to me. On the other hand, as the show claims, “Nothing is evil in the beginning…”

Here is a way to disable the splash screen from the shortcut icon. Another option is to click open and shut your eyes for a count of about 15 seco

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say what? 

I have not noticed ads in Photoshop so far so could you post screenshots? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow I can't see the loading window when I screenshot photoshop, only Illustrator, but the ad is there too.

dwarf.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a splash screen.

Adobe feature an end user artwork.

it's not an ad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why photoshop, Illustrator and indesign have splash art of the same show?

outdoor-advertisement-billboard-mockup-generator.jpg

I can't see any difference, where you draw the line of what is an ad and what is not?

In all these years using photoshop I never saw a splash art related to any IP. This is a disguised method to remind us of the show or discuss it in the work environment because we are constantly being reminded of its existence whenever we open adobe apps, is that the definition of advertising for you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That the splash screen illustration is »inspired by "The Lord …"« doesn’t seem terribly relevant to me, but if it annoys you you should be able to change it. 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/illustrator-discussions/disable-splash-screeen-in-illustrator-yes-but...

In all these years using photoshop I never saw a splash art related to any IP. This is a disguised method to remind us of the show or discuss it in the work environment because we are constantly being reminded of its existence whenever we open adobe apps, is that the definition of advertising for you?

As far as I am concerned it was not Adobe but you who »reminded me of the show«. 

I wouldn’t have noticed that the illustrations are related to a show I don’t watch and I don’t usually bother reading the text of the splash screen … 

Whether there is some commercial connection between Adobe and the makers of the show seems possible, but I doubt that they paid Adobe for being featured. 

It might qualify as a kind of »product placement« more than as »advertisment«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I will do that.

Well, I decide to search further and yeah, its an obvious commercial partnership.

https://www.adobe.com/creativecloud/design/explore/lord-of-the-rings.html?sdid=T6SQLNNK&mv=social&mv...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall seeing something roughly like »Made with Adobe Premiere« close to the end of some movie credits, which I supect could mean the production got a discount on (some of) the Adobe licenses used in the production in exchange. 

This being »the-other-way-round« I wonder what the motivation could be here. 

Apparently the team-up was no secret: 

https://www.awn.com/news/adobe-shares-lord-rings-rings-power-exclusive-clip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why photoshop, Illustrator and indesign have splash art of the same show?

By @viniciusf95164475

Because Adobe has probably done some work in this film. But it may also be that the program manager and the team simply love that artwork. They source the artwork displayed on the splash screen from artists on Behance.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 01, 2022 Sep 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an ad. It was piad for. It is used to generate awareness. It's called "product placement". Better use of this space would be recognized user created content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Hunter_PackHealth, you write, “Better use of this space would be recognized user created content,” but that's exactly what this is, even if in partnership with Amazon for the show. The splash screen art is user created content from several artists, all users of Adobe apps. As I mentioned, it's not clear who got paid or what the terms were.

A list of the artists mentioned in the article shared by @c.pfaffenbichler in this thread includes links to their respective portfolios if you are interested.

To provide inspiration, Adobe teamed up with artists Paulynka Hricovini, Chris Delorenzo, Rune Fisker, Joaquín Nava Ochoa, Alice Zhang, and Kervin Brisseaux to create a collection of digital artwork based on the new series.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was piad for. 

Where did you glean that information exactly? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was piad for. 

Could you provide a source for that claim? 

Don't want splash screen to represent every idiot film franchise that can pony up a million dollars and hand it to Adobe.

Are you making stuff up or can you provide a source to back up that number? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so old, I remember when even the appearance of impropriety was something respectable companies avoided at all costs. Seriously, is Adobe not making enough money that they have to look like they're shilling for Amazon?

Quaint, in retrospect. "Slap ads on every available surface boys, there's money to be made!" 

I can hardly wait for Photoshop 2025, when some clever boy will decide that adding noisy, unstoppable video would really Enhance the User Experience. I mean, why not? Why do only the static artists get love in the splash screen, what about all the Premiere and After Effects guys?

It's a tool, and a damned expensive one. It should behave like one. Do WordExcel, or Powerpoint show promotional material on their splash screens? No, not even for Microsoft products, let alone third parties. AutoCAD? ProTools? Can't imagine they do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could always switch to the beta version which uses a texture instead of a splash screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Partnership, ad, cross-promotional opportunity… call it what you like. Adobe is giving a nod to several artists from various walks of life who created assets for Amazon Prime's LotR TV series. Who commissioned who is not immediately clear, but it seems rather innocuous to me. On the other hand, as the show claims, “Nothing is evil in the beginning…”

Here is a way to disable the splash screen from the shortcut icon. Another option is to click open and shut your eyes for a count of about 15 seconds, then never close Photoshop again (or at least not until the image changes to one that doesn't offend you).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was about to post a link to the "-NoSplash" command, but Jain beat me to it.

And, seriously, people: It's a splash screen. I don't care if it's perceived as terrible. As long as Photoshop works, I'm good. lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2022 Sep 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is NOT innocuous. Adobe is using user property without consent in order to obtain profit. Stop this. It is wrong in multiple ways. Not to mention, the series is being attacked by all sorts of reasons, I don't want to start my work session being reminded that wokeness is penetrating all dimensions of my private life.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody cares. Seriously. As for wokeness, please take your political crusade elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On another note, you and c.pfaffenbichler should get rid of this smug and patronizing tone. Don't you dare forget that we pay monthly for the apps now, anyone with the "Adobe Community Professional" title is expected to treat users with more understanding and respect than what's being shown so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@picoOmulu wrote:

On another note, you and c.pfaffenbichler should get rid of this smug and patronizing tone. Don't you dare forget that we pay monthly for the apps now, anyone with the "Adobe Community Professional" title is expected to treat users with more understanding and respect than what's being shown so far.

If you feel my posts violated the community guidelines feel free to report them. 

And please check your own post for the qualities you thought you noticed in my posts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes feel free to report Adobe to Adobe... god knows they never ignore their own rules and every staff member is even aware Adobe has rules posted somewhere or other 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You response perfectly illustrates the very arrogance I was trying to warn you against. I never mentioned community guidelines. But all right, since you clearly misunderstood the contents of my post, looks like you need all the words to make the intent clear. So here it goes: the title "Adobe Community Professional" under your name leads users of this forum to understand that you are someone with a level of importance in the "community", an importance that automatically leads users to believe that you are an agent representing Adobe's best interests. As such, your general attitude towards forum users, who are all potential or ultimately end users of Adobe - and thereby CLIENTS - is EXPECTED to be one of understanding and respect. We don't expeect you of being able to solve all the problems posted in these here forums, but understanding and respect should be obvious givens. Since Adobe products switched from license purchasing to a subscription based service, users, especially of my generation (a older one) have a kind of a beef with Adobe for unilaterally changing the game, and for that we are generally very keen of at least being treated with due respect as the ones who pay the money on a monthly basis. The fact that Adobe is potentially being paid to - without our consent - use real estate in OUR workstations everytime we startup an app is a REAL concern that leaves us worried about possible additional monetization that could further exploit end user resources. If you choose to treat us like we are being Karens, failing to understand the concern, I'd advise you to leave the discussion and call in another Adobe Community Professional who would be more inclined to at least address the issue with the proper regard, instead of plainly dismissing it as simple petty peeve.

If there is something more you have a difficulty in understanding, please feel free to ask for further clarification.

And on another note, please tell me how to check the qualities of my posts, because I fail to see how I have been smug, arrogant or disrespectful in any way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's driving me NUTS having to look at that digital face every time I open Photoshop!! Put something abstract back there, at least something that's not annoying. Kittens or something 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines