Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save For Web error A write permissions error has occurred Photoshop 22.1.1

New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am using the PS 22.1.1 version and when I try to save for web I get the error. "Adobe Save For Web Error A write permissions error has occurred " 

Any help?

{Thread title edited by Moderator}

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Hi there,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about the permissions related error when you're trying to save a file using the Save for Web option in Photoshop.

Thanks for sharing the version info. Could you please let us know the macOS version you're working with?

Could you please try granting Read and Write permissions to the Adobe folder at the locations mentioned in the link: Required permissions for Photoshop

If that doesn't help, then try creating a new user account on the Mac & let us know

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Hello,

I just solved this problem on my Mac by doing 2 things. Unfortionately I don't know which one solved the issue, but you can check individually if you have this problem.

I disabled Dropbox Backup (Documents and Desktop) und uninstalled GoodSync. Now I can use 'Save For Web' again!

I have a feeling Dropbox Backup Desktop was the issue. Have a try.

Hope I could help....

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

You are completely right, I was the one that said the problem originated in Dropbox. If anyone does not know how to unsync the backup from dropbox, here's the procedure:

Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac). 
Click your profile picture or initials.
Click Preferences.
Click the Backups tab. (Previously Import tab)
Click Manage backup. 
Uncheck the folders you’d like to remove from Dropbox or toggle all files to Off. 
Click Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 129 Replies 129
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, no matter where I try to save.
I'm on OS Big Sur and I updated to Photoshop 2021 ten days ago, but haven't used the save for web function until today. Very frustrating. I need to save some gif for a newsletter going out tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same error... Running on Mac OS Big Sur 11.1 and Photoshop 22.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am having the same issue. BigSur 11.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  11.1 Big Sur, PS 22.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear about the permissions related error when you're trying to save a file using the Save for Web option in Photoshop.

Thanks for sharing the version info. Could you please let us know the macOS version you're working with?

Could you please try granting Read and Write permissions to the Adobe folder at the locations mentioned in the link: Required permissions for Photoshop

If that doesn't help, then try creating a new user account on the Mac & let us know if the app works properly or if you still get the same error. You can check the steps here: Set up users, guests and groups on Mac

Let us know how it goes.
Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sahil, thanks for getting back to me.

I'm on macOS Big Sur Version 11.2 

and on Adobe Photoshop Version: 22.1.1 20210104.r.138 2021/01/04: 852879028a7 x64

I'm the admin, Read and Write permissions are alredy granted.

I did try creating a new user account, and that does work.

However it doesn’t really solve the main issue, as I have everything setup on my original profile:

• Settings for all my Adobe apps
  • Microsoft office accounts
  • Remote access to our files on sharepoint
  • Personal email on Spark
  • Dropbox integration
  • Chrome login and extensions
  • Folders and OS settings
  • Wacom settings
  • etc.

But if I want to save for web, I’ll have to either switch between two profiles or migrate everything to the new profile (which is usually quite time consuming), and then what if it happens again?

Camilla

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Camilla,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it will certainly take time to set up everything again in the new user account. Could you please log back into the old user account and move the Photoshop preferences settings folder to the desktop. Here's the location: Macintosh HD/User/username/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings

Move the "Adobe Photoshop 2021 Settings" folder to the desktop location. Open Photoshop and check if that helps.

If it doesn't work, uninstall Photoshop > restart your machine > reinstall Photoshop using Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop app

Let us know the outcome.

Thanks,

Mohit 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It didn't work for me, what did work is, once you´re in the "Save for web" screen you click on the preview button, it will open the image in a web browser and from there you can save the image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's a nice workaround 👍

Because uninstalling –> restarting –> reinstalling didn't work for me either 👎

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also backing my files with dropbox, and this issue originated there, I do not know how to fix it or if there´s a way to assign permissions to Photoshop from dropbox. The thing is that Illustrator doestn't have this issue when using the same save for web function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My files are mostly on sharepoint, only my personal files are on dropbox.

My partner doesn't have the same issue on their mac/photoshop. And on the new profile on this mac, it's not a problem either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2022 Jan 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This totally worked. Thank you!!

NO, ADOBE, I'm not uninstalling Dropbox - It's part of my backup plan. Please fix your software. We're spending a huge amount of money $$$ for this product. I was working, now it's not. 

PLEASE FIX THIS ERROR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me. Couple extra steps but at least it's a workaround. Thanks for the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2022 Feb 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this workaround. I'm having the same problem. I hope they don't take away 'Save for web' 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, no joy.

But Jorge Fdz.'s workaround "click on the preview button, it will open the image in a web browser and from there you can save the image." gets the job done.

Unfortunately I can't spend anymore time on this today, I'm up against a few deadlines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on fixing this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep running into this error using the latest version of Photoshop running on an M1 Macbook Pro, when I go to export for web, no matter the location I choose, it tells me 'Could not complete this operation. A write permissions error has occured'. 

I've reboot the system, tried multiple things and always the same result, has anyone else seen this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

If that doesn't help, then try creating a new user account on the Mac & let us know if the app works properly or if you still get the same error. You can check the steps here: Set up users, guests and groups on Mac

Let us know how it goes.
Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not creating a whole new user account just so I can make a GIF!? Can you fix it please? I have gifs to make. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2022 Mar 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue but with OneDrive, turning it off for a moment did the trick. This will probably work for Dropbox and other backing up tools as well.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issue, attempting to export slices with PS 22.2.0 on OS 11.2.1. All permisdsions are enabled.  Using multiple profiles for a simple task is not a suitable workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could not agree more. It's an absolute pain, I've been using Adobe since Indesign 1.5, and I've never encountered something quite so frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2021 Jul 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an asinine "workaround". This is an issue that is being experienced by a fair amount of people and it doesn't matter HOW many times someone posts:

"...Could you please try granting Read and Write permissions to the Adobe folder at the locations mentioned in the link: Required permissions for Photoshop

it isn't addressing the problem. 

seems like it would be an easy thing to investigate and resolve.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2021 Aug 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen that article before but no instructions on HOW to set the read and write permissions for those folders on Mac OsX

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To edit the Dropbox preferences as described by Slim Media, you don't need to find any folder. Click on the Dropbox icon on topp of your screen, click your Avatar icon (to the top right) > preferences > backups (tab) > and click on "configure" in the first "box", from there you should uncheck all backups of "desktop/compiuter, and Documents. (I could add screendumps, but theyre in norwegian..)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines