It will only allow my to fill in the outside of my selection

I just want to be able to make a selection and color inside of it

Please help !!

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

When using Pen tool take a look at Options bar. From Path operations drop-down you should have New Layer (Shapes) or Combine Shapes (Path) selected. In parenthesis I have added tool mode which is available from the first drop down list in the options bar where you can choose to draw: Shape, Path or Pixels.

path operations.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Selection has the object selected as  "Inverse"

I can press Ctrl Shift I to fix my problem

But how to I change that preset back to how it originally was?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Pen tool take a look at Options bar. From Path operations drop-down you should have New Layer (Shapes) or Combine Shapes (Path) selected. In parenthesis I have added tool mode which is available from the first drop down list in the options bar where you can choose to draw: Shape, Path or Pixels.

path operations.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if that option isn't available (grayed out)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which option exactly? Perhaps you do not have drawing tool active. Can you screenshot drop down with Layers panel also visible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-10-23 at 11.27.07 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have set Path drawing mode that's why New Layer is not available option. Option New Layer will be available with Shape drawing mode where Photoshop will automatically create new layer for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not looking to make a shape. I use the Pen tool when cutting something out of a photo. I've always used Path mode and never had this issue before the October update...among other ridiculous issues such as scaling transformations and Wacom tablet connectivity issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you state that New Layer was available option before October update? Even if it was available, what is the purpose to have that option available when drawing path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very useful when you are doing cutouts. Now everytime I use the pen I have to invert everything I select. It doesnt make sense why photoshop changed the tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2020 Jul 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using Path mode, New Layer is greyed out, so you have to select "Combine shapes" instead. I was having the same issue and just fixed doing this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Untitled.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This setting solves it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @gabrielaf72918799 

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2021 Oct 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed it Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! It really is a minor inconvenience that has been bugging me for months

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same Problem with Photoshop CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bey you're using laptop or keyboard that has a "fn" or Function Button. Try to press it, together with "+" (fn+). Pressing "-" or "+"  will invert the make selection tool. Hope this can help. God Bless

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bet*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! Fn with + was the ticket. Thank you, Arvin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2022 Feb 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reset my pen tool and it fixed the problem, reverting back to original selection without have to invert your selection after creating a path. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2024 Jan 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This worked for me too.

For anyone curious on how to reset the Pen tool:  select the tool, click on the gear (settings) in the Pen menu and select "Reset Tool"  I've been inverting all my selections for about a year and finally changed it lol

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines