Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PEN TOOL SELECTION

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Usually when I select an object with the pen tool it would select only that, but only recently the pen tool would select the whole canvas aswell resulting in selecting everything else but what I wanted. I've attached a screenshot below to show you what I mean. 

Is there anyway I can fix this so the pen tool will only select what I want without the whole canvas aswell?

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 10.26.24.png

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

"Does it need to be on "Combine shapes"?" Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the Path (or all the subPathItems) – what is the »Path operations«-setting in the Options Bar? 

pathOperation.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its currently on "Subtract front shape".  Does it need to be on "Combine shapes"?

Screenshot 2021-09-02 at 11.39.31.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Does it need to be on "Combine shapes"?" Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»Exclude Overlapping Shapes« is also an option if there is only one subPathItem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running into this same issue, however none of the path operations are working for me. Each path operation presents the same issue of selecting what I used the pen tool with as well as the entire background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Never mind, I got it! Had to remake draw the path and then make sure combine shapes was on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines