• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019 maintain aspect ratio on SHIFT key inconsistent

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the new 2019 update the Free Transform tool now has fixed aspect ratio on scale set to default and you hold the SHIFT key to scale non-uniform.

This would be fine if it was always the case.  The problem is that it is not the case on vector objects, the use of the SHIFT key is reversed.

Unfortunately it would seem that smart objects are treated as vector objects so when editing a document that has a mix of normal raster layers and smart object layers it can get very confusing when you come to scale the layers.  The raster layers don't use shift to constrain aspect and the smart object layers do use shift to constrain the aspect.

If scaling is going to be fixed aspect ratio by default that is fine but please make this consistent throughout all objects in the software.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

Hi

You can revert to the legacy transform method

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Take a look at this bit

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 109 Replies 109
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: PSUserConfig.txt

OK, answering my own question. It took another hour of experimenting (locations, permissions, text file encoding, etc.), but HERE'S THE FIX (for Mac Users): the text file must be saved as a Unicode UTF-8 file.

If it's a UTF-16 file (a more current version which some text editors default to), it won't work.

And, it even supports comments if your start a line with a hashtag (eg, # Revert idiotic removal of shift key for proportional constraint changes by Adobe in PS CC 2019).

Thanks to our PS internet village for sharing the wisdom. Fingers crossed that before changing a highly used function that is built into the muscle memory of tens (hundreds?) of thousands of experienced users, Adobe will include it as a Preferences checkbox!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i tried this. following every step, and did not work =/ help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why this Forum has been marked "Answered" when there has been no answer. I am going to uninstall it and revert to the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that wasn't nothing more like just helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is possibly the most idiotic change i have ever seen on a software update!

What ever made the developers decide to do this; no one will every know!

Maybe they just though... "Hey lets screw with the world a little and see how our clients adapt to a new environment?" ...

... Well Adobe; Let me tell you, you can't take a fish out of water and put him on land and expect him to instantaneously evolve!

I have been using Photoshop for almost 15 year and honestly, you guys just wrecked my brain!

The developers Fix posted does not work on PC; i have tried it over and over again and quite frankly i will keep using 2018 and never updating again unless there is a painless legacy revert in the following update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2019 Jul 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, if the file (PSUserConfig.txt) is not there by default (as it was the case for me), just create it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

So I typed this in

1. Use Notepad (Windows) or a text editor on Mac OS to create a plain text file (.txt).

2. Type the text below in the text file:
TransformProportionalScale 0
3. (Windows) Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to your Photoshop settings folder.
[Installation Drive]:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings

4. Restart Photoshop.

I have Windows 10 and I cannot find this folder. It doesn't seem to exist on my computer. Can anybody help me out?  When I get to Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 I can only see the following folders:

AMT

Configuration

Legal

Locales

Mona

Plug-ins

Required

Resources

I don't see the "xxx xxx xxx Settings" folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2018 Dec 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what are exact names in English version of Windows 10, but press 'Win d', then in upper menu click 'View' and click 'Hidden elements' checkbox, so you will see missing folders at the end of this path 'C:\Users\name', where name is you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely driving me crazy! I hate to have to edit the config files on a work computer, but this is a must. I'm glad there's a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, lazy me I must have just skimmed the new features page and missed that bit on turning it off.

Bit poor that you have to text edit configuration files to do it though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That path didn't work here on windows 10. Uninstalled and reverted back to previous version. The alt+shift resize to keep centered resizing is too handy to leave behind. Even did a search in all the adobe folders in C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe. Didn't find a file called PSUserConfig.txt in all the photoshop folders including C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Floline Media wrote

Didn't find a file called PSUserConfig.txt in all the photoshop folders including C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings

You need to create the file as per instructions above

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh, missed that. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a fix, this is a workaround for developers.

I don't have access to the administrator password as I'm a freelancer, working on different Macs every week.

This is not fixed. This needs to be a preference checkbox

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is this the default behavior?? Why is there not a simple checkbox to revert this back to normal?? Isn't holding shift to scale proportionally almost standard behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone solve this? For non-developers like me? I am a graphic designer and I cannot work without being able not re-size/scale properly. Do I have to just un-install the latest version and put the old one back on? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I had to do. Even the developer work-around wouldn't work for me so I'm back on CC 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't you love how Adobe establishes standards and then just throws them out the window for no reason?

Snapping to guides is also broken when using the Transform tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I'm missing something, but snapping to guides during transforming works for me. Describe what exactly you does...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 20.0.1

Windows 10

I have Snap turn on. Snap To has all items checked (so, that includes Guides)

I have two guides on the document.

I drew a small test shape using paintbrush on a layer. It's not a smart layer and it's not a smart object.

I do CTRL-T to transform

I scale up/down across the guides and the bounding box does not snap to the guide. It smoothly goes "through" it without any snap. If I Hold shift key, then it snaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okey I was able to reproduce it - but if that is bug it's old one, as I tried it now also in CS6 Extended and that was the same, so constrained (with a shift) wasn't snpped to guides, while freely transformed was. Are you sure that was different in 2018?

In CC 2019 (also on  Windows) it was exactly the same (irrespectively with new or reverted behaviour), so whether Shift key was held for free or constrained proportion it didn't affect a layer was not snapped to guides while scalling. So in both vers. only free transform let me snap.

You may report it as bug, or request to be changed for some newer vers. via: Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2018 Dec 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is chance they can do with it something finally if they do that never was possible, so changing Shift behaviour without relaunching Photoshop. For now it was like some not customizable keys like 'shift' couldn't be changed to other key or bind to opposite operation.

If they want to solve the problem with 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' chain icon during transforming in options panel they have rewrite source code that let change Shift behaviour right after en/disabling that icon:

Photoshop CC 2019: Free Transform Maintain Aspect Ratio broken [Aspect ratio remains fixed even when...

If that will be done then maybe your problem can be reconsidered again to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies for the Rant.

After using design applications since 1993, the shift key should constrain aspect ration.

ADOBE? Why mess with such a fundamental across many many applications and vendors. Stop it!

Stop pandering to new users and support the base.

Yes I can spend 15 minutes messing around trying to find the preference, or re-write my brain and use the new preference. But you're wasting my billing time. Stop it.

Rant over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Years of muscle memory down the toilet. Who in the UX department thought that this would be a good idea without a preference setting?

This is what we get from a monopoly, what they think is best for the user.

-Ian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines