• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2019 maintain aspect ratio on SHIFT key inconsistent

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the new 2019 update the Free Transform tool now has fixed aspect ratio on scale set to default and you hold the SHIFT key to scale non-uniform.

This would be fine if it was always the case.  The problem is that it is not the case on vector objects, the use of the SHIFT key is reversed.

Unfortunately it would seem that smart objects are treated as vector objects so when editing a document that has a mix of normal raster layers and smart object layers it can get very confusing when you come to scale the layers.  The raster layers don't use shift to constrain aspect and the smart object layers do use shift to constrain the aspect.

If scaling is going to be fixed aspect ratio by default that is fine but please make this consistent throughout all objects in the software.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Hi

You can revert to the legacy transform method

New and enhanced features | Latest release of Photoshop CC

Take a look at this bit

How do I turn off the new proportional scaling by default behavior while transforming layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 109 Replies 109
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Years of muscle memory down the toilet"

Yup, pretty much this! What is this, Powerpoint? In fact, I just opened Illustrator to make some tweaks to a PSD file and wouldn'tchya know it, AI still uses the "classic" hold-shift control. I could almost get used to the change if it was consistent across all applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe should definitely add the ability to have Shift as a preference. Most of us that have been in the field are probably the actual subscribers to these programs, but the updates seem more and more to cater to people without working experience or in-depth know how on these programs. Overall, the 2019 update is clunky. Change is good, but these releases just seem bloated and unnecessary at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say this is the most ridiculous and confusing change to any product I have used in my entire life. Things change, I get it, but to not have simple control consistency with different types of objects and different apps (photoshop & illustrator for example) is an complete and utter shambles.

Whoever is responsible for this, and whoever let it get through Adobe's testing, should be fired. Absolutely shocking, I'm rapidly losing confidence in Adobe's decision making ability.

ps. Why the heck should I have to edit config and text files to fix setting. (Massive fail)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The MOST STUPID change Photoshop have made in the 15 years since I've used it!

So I need to use shift to keep proportion in LIGHTROOM, Indesign, and Illustrator, but no longer use it in Photoshop - something that is second nature.

I can't imagine how that feature made it through - dumb!

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how - we tell Adobe we are removing our subscriptions - and going back to Adobe CS6 unless they actually listen to their professional users of their software to what works for us.  They will only listen these days if it hurts their shareholders profits.

You CANNOT have the SHIFT key in InDesign and Illustrator and then go to Photoshop and NOT use the SHIFT KEY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still use CS6 EXTENDED as I can't deal with bugs of CC releases. But if we all move to CS6 they are going to leave only CC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i haven't found Photoshop too buggy - except that the actual user interface doesn't stay with the images - it works once if i delete preferences then goes screwy again.

Adobe Acrobat is full of bugs - crashes constantly.

But I have found there are many crazy decisions being made by Adobe - they must be by people who don't even touch the software. Probably cost cutting and taking advice from someone straight out of Uni – instead of their seasoned professionals.

Top 3 major issues for me are:

• Using comments in Adobe Acrobat – to tick the check box - is now a 3 step process - madness!

• Tools have all been moved around in Illustrator - had to workout myself they are changeable (thank goodness) - no help when I asked Adobe.

• Adobe Business Catalyst - made redundant - crazy!

I am at the point if Quark or someone from the past makes a come back with a similar suite I will move straight over. I am a loyal 20 years plus Adobe lover - but I feel they don't seem to interested in their users anymore, so I am becoming less interested in paying a crap load of money easy month for software that isn't suiting Graphic Designers needs.

But that's similar story with too many corporations now - only care about the money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you found V20.0 buggy plz don't update to 20.1

Even more unstable iMHO

I await 20.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried warping/skewing in Photoshop? It's like trying to control a videogame with an upside-down controller -- who's idea was this, the Mad Hatter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Adobe transfer the geniuses over at the Illustrator Dev team who back in AI 9 though messing with shift-key shortcuts for laughs over to the PSD team? Or did they simply hire some former government developers, who in their bureaucratic wisdom thought they, not a user base close to three-decades deep know how best to tune functionality?

What an absurdly myopic fix what ain't broken "feature."

Dear lord.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a feature. This is an inconsistent inconvenience with a rudimentary and obnoxious work-around. At least make this optional via preferences. Stop fixing things that aren't broken, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Truly absolutely mind-boggling why adobe does this.

I had to research for this change that no one asked for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's just easier to revert to the last version of Photoshop. Adobe can you notify me when there's a toggle to turn on the off this new feature?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it can grow on you after. a while and make life more convenient than having to use a modifier key.

I find it unsettling but trying to get used to it. Lets see how the next few weeks go

Mo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what you'd think. BUT, this is only in Photoshop. As an allround designer I use Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and more (and have been for 15 years), and this just results in constant mixups.

You'd think by now, the Photoshop dev team would learn to implement checkboxes to revert new 'improvements', because there's stuff like this every year with every major update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, just last night I was trying to do something as simple as warp a background layer to fit a new canvas size (using a combination of shift, alt, ctrl), and it took three goes to get it right, because I've had around the same amount of time training my brain otherwise. I really wish Adobe would just 'fess up that this was a bad choice and just revert to the way it was. I won't even be mad at them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fix does revert is back (thank goodness) terrible that professional users have to stuff around with a "fix" for something that wasn't broken.

• (macOS) Do the following:
    1. Save the file as "PSUserConfig.txt" to the desktop.
    2. Control-click PSUserConfig.txt saved at the desktop and choose Copy from the pop-up menu.
    3. In the Finder, choose Go > Go To Folder. In the Go To Folder dialog box, type ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings/
    4. Paste the copied file at this location.
  • Restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't make it work, any chance you could give any more info on it? maybe sharing your .txt file?

thnx!

edit: it worked, it was the folder location what was wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool cool. Yea I had trouble with that too. The instructions should mention that it's a hidden file and you must use GO to access it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I cannot understand that the idea of a manual text file was... preferred over a preference...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's terrible when you use Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign everyday, the have cause inconsistency for NO good reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a terrible update. Very inconsistent. I hope they revert it back. What were they thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally hate it! and it's not just the shift key, for me a lot of shortcuts changed . For example CTRL+F was the last filter, now it's search. I don't want to spend hours to change them. Ive been working with Photoshop from 2005 and learned all shortcuts...wtf is this ?

and the worst is that Adobe doesn't give a F@@@

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines