• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2020 Blank work-space issue: Black Screen

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to open any files or start any new docs in the new update, I had no issues with the previous version and now that I updated I have this plain black screen regardless of what I do? How do I get my art board and images back?Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 4.18.02 pm.png

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Ok thanks I tried that but it didn't work so I have just uninstalled the new photoshop and put the older version back in and it's fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Dec 18, 2019 Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This corrected that issue for me.  I was setting up a new MacBook with Catalina and was getting frustrated that problems would arise after finally moving on from an older (and now slower) MacBook. Thank you for posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2020 Jan 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the solution that worked for me too.
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other solutions in this thread didn't work for me, but this one did! Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2019 Dec 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to Preferences and reset your Interface Color Theme to clear or white, whatever is the last one on the right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2020 Feb 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me - MacBook Pro 2015 running High Sierra (10.13.6) with 16MB RAM and Intel Iris Graphics 6100 GPU.  I was using Photoshop CC 2018 prior to upgrading to Photoshop 2020 (Feb release).

Also, after clicking the lightest theme, I was able to go back to a darker theme and everything remained visible.  Best part is that the I was able to retain the GPU acceleration (including advanced).

A note to Adobe engineering - this seems like a first-time initialization problem after a new installation or upgrade from CC 2018 (don't know about 2019 - I skipped this release) to 2020.  This is a poor "first impression" experience of a new version - suggest figuring this one out soon if you want users to migrate to 2020.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seconding this as a solution. On a brand new 16" Macbook Pro running Catalina 10.15.2. Was able to revert to original theme and all worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you saying toggling between these appearance options fixed it for you?

interfaceColor.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes! it works for me. i use dark mode and i change it to auto, i tried opening it and it work normally. i tried closing the program and change it back to dark mode and it still work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This did NOT work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. It usually occures when I open a second file or project and then go back to the original I opened. I then have to try to save my progress and shut down PS then reopen it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-14 at 4.14.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-01-24 at 11.33.22 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 06, 2020 Feb 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2020 Jul 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None of the above really helps in my case - I have tried all the suggestins including resetting the PS preferences.

Only disabling the GPU entirely seems to help, howover that is not a solution seen that everything slowes down considerabley.

Running PS 21.2.0 on a 16" Macbook Pro with a AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB.

edit: just installed 21.1.3 and not problems there at all ¯\(°_o)/¯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2020 Feb 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How I fixed mine on on a 13" Retina Macbook Pro from 2015:

I just had to enable OpenCL in the advanced section of the Performance panel of the settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

disregard-- i figured it out using pressing down on shift,option and command as soon as I launched PS and it worked per the video tutorial

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solved - sorry i can't delete this

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2020 Apr 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I turned off the graphics processor, I could no longer use Liquify. Is there another solution to the black screen? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2020 Jul 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After dealing with this for a few weeks and trying lots of combinations between turning off graphic proccesor, Legacy compositing, etc; I found that (it's been only 20 minutes only so far) turning off the "Use native operating system GPU Acceleration" in the advanced settings from Graphic Processor, doesn't get me to a gray screen when switching apps. Give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Abort!! as soon as I used text this was gone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update. Lol, yeah I know, I believe I did something simliar and I thought it was fixed but as soon as I used text, all h*ll broke loose again.

For now, I've been forced to revert back to PS 2019. Unfortunatley, for some reason I'm now unable to Save for Web out of 2019 after installing 2020.

Adobe has really damaged my ability to work and run my business with this latest update. Not everyone can just blow $2k–$8k on a new machine every time Adobe wants to update/add minor features. The core of the application doesn't even work anymore.

At this point, no clue how long it will be before I can even use the software we pay a hefty monthly subscription for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've tried everything. I just uninstalled this bloated trash heap of an application. There are THOUSANDS of people complaining about this—here, Twitter, Reddit et al. What a giant piece of buggy garbage this release is. We will go back to using an older, stabler...dare I say "tested" "debugged" "professional" version of Photoshop but of course will be expected to diligently pay Adobe the same hefty monthly fee for this huge hassle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried every proposed solution listed here and none of them worked, so I uninstalled the current version and installed an older version (21.1.3). Now I can finally see my files again while toggling between applications.  Pity that I have to stop using the newest version of Photoshop just to enable the most basic function there is -- viewing a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly the same here - I cannot believe that Adobe has relesead a buggy piece of sotfware like that, and after all the people complaining about the issue, there has still not been a real solution.

Unbelivable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 06, 2020 Nov 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  Tried everything, spent 2 hrs chatting with Adobe (who also couldn't fix it)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2020 Jul 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently with the new release, everything seems fixed; hope yours got fixed too. Will report back if anything goes hell again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines