• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 2022 Freezes Unexpectedly on Windows 10

Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The program randomly hangs and does not respond to keystrokes or mouse clicks. No other program on my Windows 10 computer with 32 GB Ram has this problem including Bridge and Camera Raw. The freeze can happen anytime; it does not matter what operation I perform or whether I am using a smart object, adjustment layer or saving. The program randomly freezes. I use Windows Task Manager to end the task. I followed all the advice I could find about checking my graphics card compatibility, allocating more memory, starting the program without the filters loaded, etc, etc and none of those solutions solved the problem.

I may have found something that will helps. Go to Preferences > File Handling. I had the Automatically Save Recovery Information checked and I had it set to save every 10 minutes. I changed the setting to every 1 hour, and the problem did not re-occurred. Usually, for my work, I manually save my file after having done a lot of work, and that usually happens in less than one hour. I then went back and unchecked the Automatically Save Recovery checkbox. After doing that, I exited the program, and then restarted the program. The freeze has not reoccurred. If this change does stop the problem, it probably means that there is a bug in the code that does the automatic backup.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel Presedo, cleaning the registry did not make a difference in the end. PS worked fine yesterday afternoon and this morning, but froze again this afternoon. Thought you would want to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 18, 2021 Nov 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The freezing continues. I have never had a problem with Camera Raw when launched from Bridge. Today, PS froze when I was using Camera Raw filter as a filter. Camera Raw (filter) froze on the screen and would not respond to mouse clicks or key strokes. There seems to be a fundamental flaw somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the additional information, I am going to contact some team memebers for ideas around what might be happening. I'll post information here when I get an update. 

I want to see if I have this correct:

• If you use Lightroom to open and edit images there are no issues? 
  • If you use Camera Raw > specifically within Photoshop > the problem persists? Correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel, I do not want to mislead you, in that I rarely use Lightroom. I use it to help other people, but not for my own work.

If I open Camera Raw from Bridge, I never have a problem.

If I open Camera Raw from within Photoshop as a filter, I have seen the program freeze.

Thank you for looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @Ken Curtis for the additional info. 

Since this is on Windows:

1. If you go to Edit > Preferences > ACR (last on menu) 
  2.  Select Performance > Perfromance > Use Graphics Processor 
    - Try off
    - Try Custom

And let us know if this prevents the crashing.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a recent update for Camera Raw to 14.1 to fix some freezing and crashing issues with it. Make sure you have that version installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have version 14.0.1 installed. See reply to Daniel Presedo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel, Camera Raw is not the problem. The problem is Photoshop. When the program is doing some kind of an edit, PS freezes regardless of what filters or adjustments are being applied at the moment. I only mentioned Camera Raw because it does not fail normally when used with Bridge, so you would imagine the code is OK. But when it runs as a filter, just like other filters, PS can lock up. PS will freeze if I am just doing an adjustment such as a Curves adjustment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2022 Oct 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ken Curtis hie this same problem i am having recently from 1weeks after installing orignal photoshop with current version and i m having the same nvdia graphics card brother... did you solve the issue ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I did, but you won't like the solution. I purchased a brand new computer with a much better video card, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti, and have not had the problem. The computer is a high end Dell with 12th Gen Intel Core i9-12900 processor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
So the problem accure because the graphics card or what? You mean by?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just edited an image and was experimenting with some new brushes that I imported a few minutes before. After trying the brushes, I decided I did not want them, so I clicked on be Brushes panel's menu and chose Delete. Photoshop froze the instant I clicked on Delete. This has nothing to do with the brushes I used. I am letting you know because this is just another example of Photoshop freezing randomly and unexpectedly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the problem was solved after updating Photoshop to version 23.0.2, but after a couple days, the freeze ups showed up again.

I certainly wish some programmer would look at this issue. Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 07, 2021 Dec 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I mentioned earlier the way Camera Raw is initialized is important. They are not the same thing. 

"I only mentioned Camera Raw because it does not fail normally when used with Bridge, so you would imagine the code is OK. But when it runs as a filter, just like other filters, PS can lock up."

If using Camera Raw as a filter thru Photoshop is the only place showing the problem then we shoud focus on steps so we may reproduce it here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Camera Raw filter is not the only situation that causes the freezing. That only happened once, and I am sure it is a coincidence. It happens no matter what I am doing. The most recent freeze occurred when I tried to merge to layers (and there were only two layers in the file). That too is just a sample. The program can freeze when I am doing anything. Another example is when I tried to save a selection. There is not discernable pattern to when the program freezes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the clarification, 

I did notice Norton 360 is installed. There have been outlier cases where virus scans (Mcafee etc ) on Windows have disrupted a workflow. If you observe any behaviors that coincide with the virus software, that would be useful as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had a freeze occur when I launched content aware fill after selecting an area to be filled. I did not like the automatic choice of area to use for content, and when I clicked the custom button, PS froze. I took a look at my Norton Antivirus recent history report and there is no mention of Photoshop or Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Selamlar dostum. Bendede aynı sorun var. Çözüme ulaştınız mı?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not found the solution yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ken Curtis were you able to test the suggestion to disable the native canvas in preferences/Technology Preview? This is know to cure many issues.

Also, could you check in prefs/performance if GPU acceleration is on when there is a freeze, or if it becomes disabled?

Is there any other software running? did you try to run only Ps to see if there is a conflict?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The native canvas is and has been disabled in the Preferences > Technology Preview. There is no way to see about the GPU acceleration is on when PS freezes because PS does not respond to any mouse clicks or keystrokes; therefore, I can not check. Regarding any other software running, usually it is just Bridge and Thunderbird, my email client. Occasionally, there are other programs running, such as Chrome browser, but it sits idle while I work on photos. I have not correlated the freeze to anything yet. I tried to look for a Windows message queue to see if the keystrokes are going to the window, but I do not have the tools for this. I have not had a freeze up for the last 2 days. When the freeze does occur, I will look at my Norton Antivirus activity to see if there is any relevant item.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today, I was able to repeatedly make Photoshop freeze. Here are the steps that I performed:

1. Double-click a PSD file in Bridge to launch Photoshop

2. Duplicated background layer

3. Converted duplicated layer a smart object

4. Ran Topaz Labs Sharpen AI (successfully)

5. Merged visible layers (the duplicated and background layer)

6. Selected an object in the image to be replaced by Content Aware Fill

7. Clicked Edit > Content Aware Fill

8. Screen displayed

9. Withouth clicking moved mouse over part of the image. This moved the "erase" circle around image.

10. Program froze.

More information. I repeated the above steps only I omitted step 4. PS froze a few seconds after clicking auto when the Content Aware window was visible.

Thought you might want to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just ran another test. I skipped steps 2 through 5, and the program still froze while doing Content Aware Fill.

I can send PSD file and log file if they will help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just noticed a generator file that looks suspicious. Don't know if it is significant or not as I do not know what Generator does. Log (text) file is attached.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet a bit more information. After doing all of those tests above, I decided to reboot my computer. Now the freeze up does not occur no matter what I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines