• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 23.1.1: in View, Screen Mode, Standard I do not get the right-hand-side menus, layers etc

New Here ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop 23.1.1, on MacBookPro Monterey OS 12.4, on Safari 15.5.

In View, Screen Mode, Standard I do not get the right-hand-side menus (layers, type, all other functions), whereas if I choose View, Screen Mode, Full Screen Mode with Manu Bar I loose the top row (3 colored dots, file names, etc).

How can I get the old-time usual full menus both on the right and on top?

Also, I appear to have lost the possibility to change the vertical height of a typeface!!

Can someone please help me?

Thanks a lot in advane,

Luigi B

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

I can tell by your first screen shot that your right side is extended beyond the boundries of your screen. Click the Green fit in screen button from the Mac OS and your panels are probably just off screen.

On the far top right you should be seeing these icons - these are missing and your "Adobe Photoshop 2022" is not centered on screen.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1657890006723.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to Window>Workspace and resetting your workspace.

Otherwise the Tab key toggles panel visibility. Shift+Tab hides just the side panels while Tab hides all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for answering my query.
I did try both of your suggestions (workspace and tab) but in my Standard Screen Mode I get nothing.
It is just a shame that Adobe is not interested enough to give directly a piece of advice to someone paying $20/month to use a faulty Photoshop once every other week!
Thanks for trying,
Luigi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 13, 2022 Jul 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you connected to an external monitor at all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2022 Jul 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I use a MacBook Pro less than a year old, with OS 12.4 Monterey, via Safari 15.5

BTW, I have been using Photoshop since it came out and I know how to use it. This version I have is just faulty. Period. And no help from Photoshop. 

I am very close to letting it go for good.

Luigi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting your preferences. Go to Photoshop menu>Preferences>General and click the reset preferences upon quit button.

Quit and relaunch PS.

Im sorry you feel that way but this seems to be unique to your setup otherwise we'd be flooded with posts of users experiencing the same.

Also this is a user-to-user forum monitored by volunteers.

If you want direct Adobe assistance you can go to chat on the bottom right of this page: https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might help if you posted some screenshots or a short video clip of what your seeing.

Adobe employees do monitor this forum and respond to posts.

If you mark this thread as a bug that might get more attention from adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know you said you have used Photoshop for a long time, but just to help clarify what is going on and what is normal…

@luigi252161562q0a wrote:

In View, Screen Mode, Standard I do not get the right-hand-side menus (layers, type, all other functions),

The “right-hand side menus” are formally not menus, but panels. The panel arrangement and visibility are controlled by the workspaces, and that’s why a suggestion was to reset the current workspace. Specifically, that means either choose Window > Workspace > Reset [current workspace], or to go back to how it is originally, choose Window > Workspace > Essentials and then reset that in case it is modified.

whereas if I choose View, Screen Mode, Full Screen Mode with Manu Bar I loose the top row (3 colored dots, file names, etc).

That is normal. The “top row (3 colored dots, file names, etc)” are in the standard macOS document title bar. But if you switch to any Full Screen Mode, all window borders go away (that is what Full Screen Modes have done for 30 years), so the top document window title bar (which contains the 3 dots and file names) also goes away. So that is normal.

The only option on the View > Screen Mode submenu that shows the document title bar is Standard Screen Mode, and again that has been true for 30 years. The only thing that has changed is that in versions of Photoshop after the Application Frame was added, the three dots are in the application frame, and the document title is in the tab row within the application frame.

If you want document windows to float free, so that the three dots and title are together in a document title bar, you must make sure they are not tabbed (choose Window > Arrange > Float All in Windows), or disable the Application Frame (Window > Application Frame).

Also, I appear to have lost the possibility to change the vertical height of a typeface!!

Do you mean the font size? If a type layer is selected and the Window > Character or Window > Properties panels are open, that option should be in those panels. If those two panels are closed, the font size option should still be available in the options bar, unless the options bar is closed (Window > Options).

A lot of this is sounding like panels that you expect to be open are closed. If you are positive your preferred panel arrangement (workspace) is active, post a screen shot of how it looks so we can figure out what’s wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your courtesy in devoting time to my issue.

You state correct things, but maybe some newer realities are slipped through too.

It is not the same to have tabs of various files or to have floating windows thereof, to clutter the space.

I will attach hereafter screen grabs of the two different screen modes, that illustrate my issue. Right now, in order to work on files from the panels I have to switch to FullScreen, thereby loosing tabs and top menu bar. 

Also, and I sincerely apologize for my unintentional disrespect for the accepted Adobe taxonomy, I used to be able to regulate the hight of a letter by percentage, without opening another window.

I am often baffled by how programmers have to justify their salary, by necessarily having to modify layouts that have worked very well, often making them more limited, more difficult or plainly unfriendly. And I absolutely do not refer solely to Adobe!

Thanks,

Luigi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can tell by your first screen shot that your right side is extended beyond the boundries of your screen. Click the Green fit in screen button from the Mac OS and your panels are probably just off screen.

On the far top right you should be seeing these icons - these are missing and your "Adobe Photoshop 2022" is not centered on screen.

kevinstohlmeyer_0-1657890006723.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Switching to full screen removes the Application Frame thereby resizing your window and pulling your panels back on to the screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kevin,

thanks a lot: you hit it on the nose. Clicking the green dot resolves everything.

As often with computers, the solution is simple ... if you know it

Very kind of you to help me.

Luigi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please be sure to mark the answer as correct to help other users. Glad it worked out. Have a good weekend Luigi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines