• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop 3D features are being removed

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of Photoshop 22.5, released in August 2021, Photoshop’s 3D features will be discontinued. 3D features have enjoyed long success within Photoshop over the course of  10+ years, however the personal computing industry has recently been transitioning away from use of OpenGL  (having to do specifically with the use of GPUs, which is critical for 3D) toward native GPU APIs, which ultimately began the slow deterioration of Photoshop’s 3D features, all of which needed OpenGL. As difficult of a decision as removing 3D features from Photoshop is, the silver lining is that the next generation of 3D content creation tools from Adobe is already here. Check out the Substance line of 3D products.

For more details, please visit Photoshop discontinued 3D Q&A.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 207 Replies 207
Community Expert ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blender works well in a pipeline with the 3D Substance apps.

I model in Blender where I also UV unwrap. Then I use Substance Painter for texturing, also using Substance Designer for creating specific textures where the online library of textures does not have what I need. Then it's back to Blender for lighting and rendering. Finally, I use Photoshop for compositing and finishing. That way, I use the strengths of each application and keep Photoshop for what it does best - the 2D elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good for you, but I'm not interested in learning Blender, Substance or any of that, just to accomplish what Photoshop should already do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop could never compete with proper 3D applications for 3D work. However, to use the existing and limited 3D functionality, just keep the older version installed alongside the new on the next update. 

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ich benutzte Photoshop auch um auf einfache Art 3D Formen (Modelle) für Adobe Dimension zu erstellen. Der Blender ist eine gute Alternative dafür, ABER, es ist ein sehr komplexes Programm und nicht einfach in kurzer Zeit zu lernen. Mit YouTube Tutorials versuche ich nun Blender zu lernen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found the Photoshop 3D toolset pretty unreliable since the 2019 version across a range of hardware and platform versions. Intermittent and sometimes repeatable bugs making the workflow pretty much broken, so

I'd agree there's been a problem with the OpenGL implementation. However, to call a full menu feature removal part of  'An Update' leads me to question what I'm paying a rolling subscription for ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 06, 2022 Apr 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LITERALLY 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wow, what a bummer, I loved the 3D in Photoshop, I already know a good dozen of the Adobe applications..... and not really so interested in trying to start over and learn another. With computing power so much stronger, and faster then a decade ago, it seems weird that it wouldnt be able to work. I loved cropping images and exgtruding them into 3D scenes.... was also a great project in my classes! You must be able to find a way!

headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"With computing power so much stronger, and faster then a decade ago, it seems weird that it wouldnt be able to work."

It is new computing power, in the form of GPU functionality that has forced the issue. With OpenGL deprecated, GPU functions in Photoshop are switching to Metal and Direct X. That would have entailed a complete rewrite of the very limited 3D functionality in Photoshop that has not really moved on since CS6 and was way behind modern standards in rendering. Adobe have taken the decsion to focus Photoshop on what it does best in the 3D pipeline - the 2D elements such as compositing.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand that, what burns is that there's no drop in price to reflect the removal of the features. Just an off hand comment about their new apps (which they bought not developed) with no mention of their ridiculously high extra cost.

I've cancelled my subscription. There are now multiple viable alternatives for all of Adobe's products that are either more affordable and with perpetual licences, not the subscription theft model or free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for the explanation Dave.... but its still a bummer. I think it was one of the features that made Photohop GREAT. Although not as powerful, it made it easier for a newbie to get into some cool 3D effects. And the user is right, with all the money people are paying, they should re-write it...  as you said it has't changed in 10 years.... so now would be a good time for them to change it since its the only way it will work. And with newer more powerful comptuers i am sure they can even enhance the features. I'll cross my fingers, and hold my breath! 

Cheers!
mark

headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I'll cross my fingers, and hold my breath!"

You might qualify as a deep sea diver soon then 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its a shame - but Being completely frank, Photoshops 3D features were never properly designed. And by they finally accepted that.

The mistake they made was this: Most Photoshop users did indeed need 3D features within the app. Just not in the way they were implemented. …

What 3D features Photoshop users DO NEED  … 

There's always one single 'plane of view' for 98% of people working in Photoshop . One vanishing point, one camera angle, various sources of lighting, but those are all fixed. So for the 3D elements to be created to fit within an existing still image -what Photoshop needed was a way of establshing those as fixed perameters, and it be made possible to work within those as a base. If this approach had been taken from the outset, you would have got something people could use, and would have found useful. 

The 3D finctionality was seemingly designed by those with only a 3D backround, no knowledge of the esisting Photoshop interface layering system, how powerful it was. So they were created a world apart. And therefore became impenetrable for most. In addtion, sorry to say, but some of the inteface decisions were crazily unimaginaitve and cludgy, which kept most people away. You dont need multiple cameras, shifting vanishing points, all existing in multiple objects that are at odds with the layering structure. It was slow, clunky. rendering times were impossible and it was full of bugs.

That said Adobe still need to honor ist existing subcribers and customers, and permanently provide an oder version of the software in which you can run the old 3D.

___

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That said Adobe still need to honor ist existing subcribers and customers, and permanently provide an oder version of the software in which you can run the old 3D.

___

By @MarkTo

Very much this - but somehow I don't see it happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The silver lining for you would be, "sold seperatly". That's disapointing.

Amelia "The Neek" Wysocki

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremely. Hardly a silver lining I would say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A silver lining for Adobe's pockets I suppose.

Perhaps they dont know that free software is available to do seperate 3D?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course they know - they even build integration between Substance and Blender

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 07, 2021 Oct 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

as I understand it, Adobe made a one off $ to join the "Pals to Blender" team which was a smart move imo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone using Unreal Engine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2021 Oct 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my subscription says i have acces to all Adobe apps but cant seem to find Substance on there please tell me after removing my 3d features your not expecting me to pay to get them back?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CC subscription covers all CC apps. It has never included all Adobe apps.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great news!! do you know how i can turn off atomatic updates i cannot update to photoshop 22.5 i need my 3d working in photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"do you know how i can turn off atomatic updates"

You can do that from the Creative Cloud app

2021-10-08 16_47_35-Creative Cloud Desktop.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 17.00.28.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cant see that on my cc app?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines