Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts

Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originally posted on my blog:

For many Photoshop users, Actions are a relatively easy and accessible form of automation. Although easy to create, Actions have numerous limitations. 

Scripts can extend Actions, making up for their limitations. Users who are comfortable with Actions can use a "snippet" of script code in their Action to achieve a result that would otherwise be impossible. 

The goal is to enable Photoshop users comfortable with Actions to leverage the power of scripting – without requiring the knowledge to write scripts themselves.

I intend to create and maintain a repository of code snippets designed to perform a specific Action step that is not otherwise achievable. The average Photoshop user doesn't need to know how to write script code – they only need to run the script while recording it as an Action step.

As an end user, do you need help or have a feature request for a step that is not possible using an action step? Post a reply with your idea/request.

As a script developer, would you like to share code or help contribute snippets? I encourage like-minded script creators to share their code snippets, which I'll add into the repo. Although script length doesn't matter, the intent is to keep the scripting code as short and concise as possible. Apart from the "header" of the script, there isn't any need to comment the scripts, except where minimal end-user editing is required within the script itself.

Errors, omissions, bugs or other issues? Please let me know.

The coding platform Snippet.io is being used to host the code, as it offers the ability to group code into "collections" that are easy to find, use and maintain. 

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Paths

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Channels

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Layers

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Conditionals

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Rulers

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Tools

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Artboards
https://snipit.io/public/collections/22836/22836

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Metadata

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Selection
https://snipit.io/public/collections/22989/22989

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Guides
Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Camera Raw Filter

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Open Files
https://snipit.io/public/collections/23114/23114

Information on saving script code and installing/running scripts here:

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2022 Nov 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know but for some reason the "load action" button is grayed out in my Photoshop can anybody please help me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added a new collection for selecting tools:

https://snipit.io/public/collections/22819/22819/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2022 Dec 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oooh, thank you! This deserves lots of visibility! Let me poke around!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2022 Dec 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if we could scour the forums for snippets, or do they need to have a given license?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics â€“ thank you! If a question comes up and I can use something, I will.

I can't make up most of the stuff that is posted here as a request, users have diverse needs and my imagination must be quite limited :]

I need concrete specific examples. I want to do "X, or Y or Z" as a step in an action, but can't. The idea is to simply provide a small snippet of code that can be recorded into an action as a single step to overcome an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some time ago I started saving code snippets from the answers I give in this community - https://github.com/boogalooper/Snippets 

The header of each script contains the name of the topic and a link to it in order to understand the context of the task. If you find something suitable for embedding in actions, then, of course, you can use it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing @jazz-y 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added a new collection with six artboard scripts for changing the active artboard background colour:

https://snipit.io/public/collections/22836/22836/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added a new collection for metadata, with a couple of scripts for labels and ratings:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A new collection has been added for Selection. A script to crop to selection while retaining cropped pixels (only available to the crop tool using native tools, not available in Image > Crop with a selection active).

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Selection
https://snipit.io/public/collections/22989/22989

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 01, 2023 Jan 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added another main category/collection for Guides:

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Guides

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 09, 2023 Jan 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added a new collection/category for the Camera Raw Filter in Photoshop (not to be confused with the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in):

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Camera Raw Filter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have added a new collection for "File > Open" with a script to open the most recently opened file from the File > Open Recent menu item.

Photoshop Action Helper Scripts – Open Files
https://snipit.io/public/collections/23114/23114

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, Excellent idea, @Stephen_A_Marsh I hope that all the scripters in here can contribute to your endeavor.

Now, with those "Bricks" it would be perfect to have a tool that non-tech oriented users could use to create the script they need, similar to Apple's Shortcuts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is @Chuck Uebele around? I'm sure he could also contribute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines