• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Autosave Location

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to change the file recovery location? I'd like to keep the files off my system drive and have them autosave to a storage drive. The option is available on other Adobe products but I don't see anywhere I can change the location of this folder in Photoshop. I've moved the scratch disks to a new drive. Will file recovery move to my selected scratch disks or still remain in AppData on my C:/ drive?

In simpler terms, I'd like to change this:

C:/Users/Username/AppData/Roaming/Adobe Photoshop CC/AutoRecover.

to this:

F:/Adobe Photoshop CC/AutoRecover

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I suppose, you can not change the location of Auto recovery documents in photoshop. You can change the time interval but not location. I am not 100% sure but as per my knowledge I am unable to do so not able to find unless it is hidden somewhere 🙂

Best regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking for an answer to this question also, but didn't find it. THEN, I discovered that the PSAutoRecover folder goes to whatever drive I select for my Photoshop "scratch disk" files. So you can't really select a folder, but you can at least control what hard drive it is on ... Edit > Preferences > Scratch Disks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Except you can select multiple drives for scratch disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dennisk16716127and @rghurst99, I'm curious about the reason you want to change the location of the recovery folder. Are you experiencing a high level of crashes? Because AFAIK, that folder only functions when you experience a crash and Photoshop needs to recover your work when you restart the app. Is it because you are running low on scratch disk space and working on large files all the time? Photoshop recommends saving files to an internal disk first and then copying the files to a network server or external drive. I'm thinking this is probably the same with the Auto Recovery function, so I'm not sure if it's recommended to use another (e.g, F) drive. I realize you might know all of this, but others who find your post may not understand that Auto Recovery isn't a backup of their files. Someone once explained it to me as a “ghost” file that exists only while I'm working on it. I guess that stuck with me, lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me, no particular reason. I just try to segregate things on my hard drives. I use three NVMe Gen4 m.2 drives in my PC workflow. 

#1, 1TB, OS and Programs

#2, 1TB, Cache/Scratch Disks and Misc (which would include PSAutoRecovery)

#3, 4TB, Active Project Data, Photos/Videos, Music/Audio, Other project resources.

I keep a rolling 6-12 months of project data on the 4TB NVMe drive and archive to slower HDDs as necessary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 29, 2022 Dec 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@rghurst99, thanks for explaining your workflow… sounds like a good organizational system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could automate the copy/removal of such files, either in Photoshop or at the OS level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines