• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop brush stroke moving canvas?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 07, 2018 Apr 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, whenever I try to make a brush stroke in Photoshop CC 2018, it moves my canvas as though I'm using the hand tool rather than actually putting down a brush stroke. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my Intuos3 tablet drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling Photoshop with all of my preferences removed, I've tried resetting my tools to see if that would have any effect and have had absolutely ZERO luck.

I did a test run with Krita to make sure it wasn't a tablet issue and my brush strokes worked 100% fine in that program, so I think this is a Photoshop specific problem. If anyone has any pointers, please, please, please, help. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as this is an issue that only recently came up and I haven't the slightest idea why it might be happening.

Cheers.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Hi

No need for any of this now. Microsoft have now issued an update to fix the issue that they caused . See link in this page from Adobe:  Cannot paint with stylus when zoomed in on image | Windows 10

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 117 Replies 117
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi try this

1 Select everything inside the quotes here (don't include the quotes): “reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pen /v LegacyPenInteractionModel /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f”

2 Copy it with Ctrl + C on the keyboard.

3 Type Windows Key + X (together), a menu will appear

4 Then type "A" on the keyboard. That will give you an elevated administrator PowerShell command prompt.

5 Paste the command you copied into that window with Ctrl + V

6 Hit "Enter" on the keyboard

7 Reboot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much. Works perfectly! So glad this weekend won't be wasted now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 15, 2018 Apr 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that PSUserConfig.txt workaround did the trick so I could get back to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! That worked! Thank you for this. Mabuhay!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are a HERO!

This worked for me. I cant thank you enough for solving this INCREDIBLY IRRITATING problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you davescm, that solved it for me! I'd like to report my situation to give others some more insight.

I'm using a golden oldie Wacom Bamboo Fun tablet on Win10 and I was running into this very annoying issue of the pen tablet scrolling the canvas around, instead of brushing on it, in all my Photoshop versions except for Photoshop CS6. However, working in CS6 was not an option.

So to solve the issue I first I deleted the KB4093112 update and unchecked "Use Windows Ink" in the Wacom settings under Tracking -> Mapping. This solved the problem! But then I left my PC for a little while, and when I came back... Windows had quickly reinstalled the update and the problem was back. Then I tried Dave's useful steps with the PSUserConfig.txt. I noticed that "Use Windows Ink" was checked again, which I believe must have happend when the win update was reinstalled. I followed Dave's steps and the problem was solved once and for all

For a while I wondered wether it wasn't simply because I unchecked "Use Win Ink", so I deleted the PSUserConfig.txt to test this out. This caused the pen pressure to not work, however the brush was still brushing, and not scrolling. Logically I put the .txt back and it works again.

Hope this helps other Wacom Bamboo users.

Thanks everybody for sharing and helping each other!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS!!!! This solved the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the issue with the text file fix is that it kills my pressure sensitivity

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2018 Apr 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked and thanks for the easy to follow instructions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2018 Apr 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this solution. It worked  like a charm right away and I feel like I got my life back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2018 May 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Dave.  I too was having this problem... and the .txt file solved it.  Not sure why I was still having the problem despite being up to date on updates a month later...oh well!  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I had hard time finding the right folder, but luckily search solved it Placing the txt-file to right folder resolved the issue. Thousand thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks @davescm it worked (step 1 and 2)! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .txt file to swap to WinTab worked for me!  Thank you. 

Using Win10, Photoshop CC 2018 19.1.3, Wacom Intuos Pro M with 6.3.29-6 drivers.

Last updates Windows updates were are KB4093110, KB4093112, KB4088785, KB4088776.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2018 Apr 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, just wanted to say the WinTab worked. I did have to find it on a Lenova website Downloads Detail ds041384 , and you also have to create a txt file to drop it into Photoshop's setting. It worked immediately and I can draw now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue, and I have my photoshop up to date.  When I first open a psd, my pen works, pressure and all.  But then a couple seconds in, or after using any other tools like the move tool or hitting the Tab key to make my canvas fullscreened, my pen stops drawing and moves the canvas around again!  Also it seems to like, try to draw, because it makes little dots or strokes here and there but it mostly is just moving the canvas around whenever I touch my pen to the screen..  Really sad since I needed to finish a project today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi. I have also the same issue, but I have already install the updated window... how do I make it go back??? I am really stuck..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To uninstall KB4089848 go to Control Panel/Program and Features/View Installed Updates/ then uninstall KB4089848. Then go Settings/Update and Security/Windows Update and open the last item on the page "Advanced Options".  Switch on Pause Updates.  This will give you a month with no updates and prevent Windows from immediately trying to reinstall KB4089848. This is just a temporary workaround.  I guess you need to keep checking back here to see if there is a solution to the problem posted. I too am waiting for the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to chime in and say that David's workaround definitely worked for me. Hoping that either Windows or Adobe comes out with a fix for this soon. Thank you all for your help~! If any of you discover a more permanent solution, please let me know on this thread. It would be greatly appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Thanks to other posters' suggestions) I'm using the WinTab driver instead of Windows Ink. This gives full pen control (so far as I can see).  Photoshop has not complained and is functioning properly (I think).

Here is how to add WinTab to Photoshop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3MlhIaK-y0&feature=youtu.be&t=598http://

Go to about minute 10.

I was sceptical about doing this until (a) I saw that Corel Painter 2018 formally gives you the option to use WinTab (b) others here were using the WinTab driver (c) it seems to be working ok and (d) there is no sign I can see of Wacom, Adobe or Microsoft producing a new solution.

I'm sceptical about making these sort of changes because I don't really understand how they work, but in this case I risked it.  Seems to be ok, with KB4089848 reinstalled and updates back on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue on windows 10, running KB4099989. Photoshop CC 2017 on a Wacom Citiq 24HD, just updated to driver 6.3.29-6. Just ran into the issue today after updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, it helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give me a direct link to download Win Tab? I couldn't find it in the original video link you give. Thanks in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David I moved to WinTab on advice from Guillaume Stordeur, the Lazy Nezumi author.  He said that WinTab worked better AFAHCT from Windows 8.1, and the same with Windows 10.  It's a wee bit of a pain in that you have to remember to move or copy the systemstylus text file after major Photoshop updates.  It has also been known to confuse people after you link to directions for CC 2015, and the user is using a later version.  More than one person has come back to the forum and complained that they put the text file in the advised folder, and it didn't work for them with CC 2018 or whatever.  Go figure. 

I have to say this bug is worse than average, and seeing that it is affecting the Microsoft Windows Ink API, it's a pity that so many people have come to this forum complaining about Adobe instead of Microsoft and Wacom.  Still it could be worse.  We could be using Chinese non Wacom tablets, and feel lucky if they worked at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 11, 2018 Apr 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor.  These are important points.  I wondered if the WinTab file would survive a CC update.  I guess it would have to be re-created.  I see the Wintab file as a workaround with a proper solution being much preferable - as this is a problem in Photoshop I do see this as of interest to Adobe - there is no problem with Corel Painter 2018 which also offers you the option  in Preferences to use WinTab.  Maybe Photoshop should do the same?  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed...

NB I see from another thread here that some people are finding another update is causing the problem - KB4093112.

This is very frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines