• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop cc 2014 incompatible with Wacom ?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't use my wacom on new photoshop no pressure, no touch, very laggy..

In last realase photoshop are jagged and inacurate but i have pressure and bugged touch.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Photoshop CC 2014 changes stylus use to use Microsoft system API's, with these API's you need to have Windows Ink enabled. These API's give better stroke results and improve the out of the box experience for users using Windows tablet/convertible devices. If you want to go back to the old WinTab implementation of previous versions do the following:

Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the followi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 148 Replies 148
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2014 Aug 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hadyn - i very much agree. the PSUserConfig fix was a good work-around for my issues, but, it was just that: a work-around, not a true fix.

i haven't noticed Mac users making a similar complaint though. makes the cynic in me wonder if Adobe and Microsoft aren't the BFFs that they used to be and that they're currently engaged in a staring contest to see who will blink first...   (¬,¬;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2014 Aug 26, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually we worked very closely with Microsoft to get the tablet support working in Windows 8 and moving to the MS Ink APIs (which needed a few tweaks and workarounds).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just ran into this exact issue with ps cc 2014 and windows 8.1 . PSUserConfig.txt worked fine.

To Adobe: If this is to be the default going forward for Windows 8 systems and CC can you PLEASE talk to Microsoft and get them to implement a SIMPLE ONE CLICK method of removing all pen feedback in windows. This now makes the great and simple Wacom driver checkbox "use windows ink" kinda usless if we are to abide by this new default.  And will need you to work with Microsoft to get a proper solution so we don't have to deal with registry fixes and gpedit.msc changes that don't really solve all the issues.

no ripple.. no right click and hold hover etc etc..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't said it better.

Thanks to put it so clear.

Sent from the Moon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely same horrible issue here!

PROGRAM IS UNUSABLE BECAUSE YOU CAN'T DO YOUR WORK RIGHT!

Photoshop CC 2014 changes stylus use to use Microsoft system API's,

Who asked you to do that?

show us AT LEAST ONE USER that asked you to BREAK the software!
Where these careless decisions come from?

Who is responsible for making them?! Who is that person, i want to see the face of that man!

Who tests your program prior to release!? Nobody? Do you even use it before throwing it a release build?!

How can you ALLOW this to happen?!

FIX

AND NO THIS THREAD IS NOT ANSWERED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2014 Jul 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many users asked Photoshop to support the MS APIs, because their tablets didn't support the WINTAB API correctly.

And Wacom functions are working for most people. Those who have trouble with it usually need to update their Wacom drivers, or enable the Ink setting in the Wacom control panel.

And yes, Photoshop CC 2014 was tested extensively by many people using many different models of Wacom tablet - without any problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2014 Jul 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not only Wacom devices. My Tablet is not Wacom and i have

the same problem. The pen pressure is one of the most importante resourse

to designers in Photoshop. How work without this resourse???

2014-07-21 3:14 GMT-03:00 Chris Cox <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

Photoshop cc 2014 incompatible with Wacom ?

created by Chris Cox <https://forums.adobe.com/people/Chris+Cox> in *Photoshop

General Discussion* - View the full discussion

<https://forums.adobe.com/message/6567593#6567593>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried the text file method using Monoprice Graphics Talets, as I had the same problem. OS is Windows 10, and the text file fix worked for me. All the tablet pc settings are enabled on my settings, and so is pen and ink natural windows settings. Got my pressure back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And Wacom functions are working for most people. Those who have trouble with it usually need to update their Wacom drivers, or enable the Ink setting in the Wacom control panel."

Chris,

I HAVE the latest Wacom driver for my tablet (v 6.3.8-4), an Intuos 4. I downloaded and installed it when I noticed this problem. I did NOT make any difference.

I DID have on the previous driver, and STILL HAVE on this driver, the 'Use Windows Ink' option ENABLED. Yet my stylus always worked correctly BEFORE PS CC 2014, and does NOT work with PS CC 2014.

Therefore, I must conclude this combination of factors that you cited cannot be the source of MY problem... and I thus suspect it's not the source of others', either.

I can only HOPE that SOMEONE (Adobe? Wacom?) is working on a solution, and will soon release a patch to either/or/and PS CC 2014 ("PS CC 2014 AUGUST?" 😉 ) and the Wacom driver.

--Diana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beachsweeper - contact Wacom and they can work with you to determine what is going wrong with your driver software.

Photoshop CC 2014 is working just fine with most tablets, and for most users with Wacom tablets.

We have seen a few people with corrupt driver installs, or problems with older driver installs.

And some of the knockoff tablet makers still have some driver bugs to work out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The text file works, but what I do not understand is why it does not work if Photoshop is opened by Lightroom. If I start Photoshop manually and then do an edit copy with LR changes and the image is opened in the Photoshop is already running, then I have pressure sensitivity. But if Photoshop is not ruining, and is opened by Lightroom, then Photoshop does not recognize the Wacom as a pressure sensitive device....

is the fact that Photoshop is opened by Lightroom making it skip to read the preferences of the text file???

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Beachsweeper- I am having difficulty determining what exactly is not working for you based on your previous posts, can you clarify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's certainly the truth. Ever since 2007 users have been begging Adobe to add support for MS Ink APIs, but for 7 years those requests have fallen on deaf ears. You finally do it and now the old Wintab implementation gets buggy, and I've jumped ship from ntrig to wacom, so this will be interesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is not only Wacom devices. My Tablet is not Wacom and i have the same problem. The pen pressure is one of the most importante resourse to designers in Photoshop. How work without this resourse???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your non-Wacom device worked in previous versions, does creating the PSUserConfig file described above bring pressure back in CC2014?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not using a Wacom tablet, then you need to talk to your tablet maker - it sounds like they have even more bugs in their drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try to create the PSUserConfig file as M Shaw suggested. Then i tell you it worked.

Thanks for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2014 Jul 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PSUserConfig file worked to me. Thanks guys and special thanks to M Shaw for help.

Greetings from Brazil!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2014 Jul 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tks Mod,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2014 Jul 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft continues to be their own worst enemy!!!  Microsoft is only concerned with serving their own (Windows Products).  Part of the problem now is the finger pointing dealing with Microsoft, Adobe and Wacom with the users in the middle.   I have a newer Intuos 5.  Worked great when I got it, even with Windows 8.1.  When it stopped working, I chose to deal with Wacom.  My mistake!  I only want Photoshop to work with the tablet.  I found unchecking "Use Windows Ink" and adding the PSUserConfig.txt file solved all my problems.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Win 7 user. I tried UNCHECKING Windows Ink in my Wacom driver (v 6.3.8-4) for my Intuos 4 for the PS CC 2014 ONLY. I also put the PSUserConfig.txt file where M Shaw (se thread above) directed. Restarted PS CC 2014, of course. Here's my result:

My stylus-pen does work for whether pen pressure is checked or not FOR PaintBrush and for CloneBrush (etc) BUT does NOT work for SpotHealingBrush!

Whereas I now am not sure whether the other tools did or did not work correctly before this latest attempt <sigh>, I AM SURE that the SpotHealingBrush DID NOT and STILL DOES NOT. This is the tool/operation that I must have corrected for me to use CC 2014 as my default version, since I use this tool on every file I work on.

For now, I must use CC as my default, which means I don't have available the new features... and I'm even forgetting about them because they are not right there to remind me. One of the selling points for us to have a subscription is to have the newest features available to us 'immediately'... but a bug like this which makes the program functionally unusable keeps them from us.

[FWIW, upthread I mentioned that I would be contacting KelbyOne (formerly National Assn of Photoshop Professionals)'s Help Desk for their assistance, as I am a member thereof, but all I got there is -- wait for it! -- they told me to take it to Wacom. Don't you just love it when these companies refer us to each other? 😉 ]

[Another FWIW: almost certainly not related, I received an invite from Adobe to be an 'Adobe Customer Advisor', which I agreed to and participated in a survey -- but the confidential content of which had nothing to do with this topic of this thread. Alas, because I was hoping there would be an opportunity to provide input about Adobe's responsiveness to problems such as this.]

My husband is co-director of a regional photography club, and too many of them have yet to get much into post-processing. I have attempted to entice them to consider using Adobe products, and am the first to use the subscription program. At this point, I would not be able to give Adobe as it is today an unqualified endorsement (since being a subscriber, there was a problem I was having with the PS CC version -- which never really got answered so much as fellow users assisted with a workaround, though I was hoping a later version would address this).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The windows API changes are Windows 8 specific, Windows 7 still uses the WInTab implementation. That means creating the PSUserConfig file for UseSystemStylus setting will not have any effect. On Windows 7 you should be able to use with or without Windows Ink enabled at your discretion. Regarding the Spot Healing Brush and pressure, do you have the option enabled from the option bar brush picker? When you bring up the popup is there a warning triangle next to the Size setting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 works great, no problems.  Originally worked with 8.1 also.  Following some Microsoft change with Window 8.1, I would get a mouse movement using the Pen, but no click, double click, or pan/scroll, for any application, including Photoshop.  I have two pens and both performed the same.  Finally, I checked "Use Windows Ink" for Applications and Photoshop, problem resolved ... except the pressure sensitivity.  Yes, triangles displayed for "Pen Pressure" even when "Use Windows Ink" was UNCHECKED.  Once I added the PSUserConfig.txt file, triangles disappeared beside "Pen Pressure" and pressure worked.  Problem solved, but required BOTH, at least for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AHA!

First off, thanks for the suggestion about the Tool Options bar, but I am experienced with the use of the Pen Pressure option and checking/unchecking it repeatedly did not have any effect.

Secondly, I do not get any 'triangles' for the pop-up... because, if the user is like me and takes advantage of the swipe-pen-to-left/right/up/down to control size/softness of one's stylus brush, then one does not use the pop-up.

But I went looking for it, with the Wacom mouse's right-click button (I rarely use the stylus' right-click button), and found... no, not any triangles, BUT I did notice the drop-down for size, and it was set on Pen Pressure (it must have come this way, as I have not used this drop-down dialog, at least in this PS version) EVEN THOUGH my Tool Option Bar's Pen Pressure was set to OFF. Hmmm, so I tried the drop-down list to off, then back On, and made the Options Bar to On... and once those both MATCHED, the stylus was working CORRECTLY. I checked again with checking the Tool Options Bar off and on, and seeing if the drop-down's setting matched, and it DID, and the stylus worked appropriately.

So, I conclude that somehow this drop-down's setting must have overridden whatever the Tool Options Bar's setting was? Or maybe whenever the Tool Options Bar's setting was unchecked, the pop-up's setting got 'stuck' in that setting and never changed out of it when I later tried to make the Tool Option Bar's setting checked again (etc)? I have had -- in PS all along I think, earlier versions -- cases where one has to click outside of a setting button to get that setting to 'take' (ie, blue outline of the button persisted otherwise).

I am going to revert my Wacom driver setting back to the way it came, with Windows Ink checked, whether it's relevant to me or not. I am also going to take the PSUserConfig.txt file out of the PS CC 2014 Setting directory, unless there's any reason for ME to keep it there.

THANKS for this suggestion!  At this point, I THINK this takes care of MY problem. (If not, this forum will know. 😉 )

I have been eager to get back to my usual workflow, of starting out in LR and then jumping from there directly into PS (it defaults to the latest version UNLESS one already has another version open, as you know), and to seeing how I can make use of the latest features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 03, 2014 Aug 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is really messing our workflow badly....  the fix posted here works for a while but eventually it stops working, and you loose the pen pressure....   Why you have to brake things that were working perfectly???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines