• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2014 is MUCH slower than Photoshop CC in a side-by-side comparison.

Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can run them side-by-side on the same system and Photoshop CC 2014 is literally 2 times slower when selecting layers, hiding layers and moving vector points in pixel increments. 

Anyone having this issue?  I'm on a 2012 Macbook Pro, 8GB of RAM running Mavericks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 142 Replies 142
LEGEND ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The action is actually quite simple, and doesn't actually use a Smart Filter (perhaps you meant Smart Sharpen)....  Certainly it shouldn't crash anything.

Basically it just creates a new document, paints some strokes via recorded Brush Tool commands, and does several regular filters (including as a last step Smart Sharpen).

Does everyone seeing a slowdown have Wacom drivers?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, sorry, meant Smart Sharper ... that step just wouldn't complete in 2014 ...

Noel--does your Action work for you?  what are you on and are wacom drivers installed?

the only way to get it to work on my two Win7 boxes with wacom drivers installed is to stop the Service "TabletServiceWacom" ...  the Action completes immediately but the tablet appears in mouse-mode until the service is restarted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2014 Jun 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eliz926, I don't have a Wacom setup to test with.  However, please rest assured Adobe engineering is watching this thread, and the information you've posted is being seen by the right folks who are working to resolve the problems.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW

CC testing script

Tested with and without bamboo drivers installed and saw no difference
22:62 CC
23:17 cc-14

Specs:
HP 1080t- I970 cpu @ 6 cores
Windows 8.1
12g  ram
amd 7750hd (latest driver)
500g samsung evo C: drive
1.5tb hitachi 7200 rpm data drive
Wacom bamboo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have installed the latest version wacom driver after updating to CC 2014. Everything is so excruciating slow.

Especially Illustrator and Photoshop. It's horrible, wish I never installed the update. I don't have the previous version.

I work on a megasuperpower Mac Pro machine , it used to be extremely fast.

Specs:

MAC PRO (new one)

MAC OSX / 10.9.3

Processor  3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory  32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC

Video  AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

Overall issues:

• Custom brushes, very slow
  • Deleting layers
  • Editing Smart Objects, superslow
  • Handling larger files  (100+MB)
  • Clicking certain buttons/menus, have to wait several seconds
  • Zooming in and out is incredibly slow
  • Overall... everything is much much much slower
  • In illustrator, moving vectors from left to right is slow.
  • Opening files
  • missing fonts takes ages.
  • etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 16, 2014 Jul 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lesje:  interestingly, i had the exact experience after installing cc2014 -- absolute breakdown on my 2 winx64 laptops.  furthermore, the hours of uninstalling and reinstalling still didn't make any improvements.

moreover, i had earlier updated the graphics drivers through both the laptop vendor site and through the Windows update procedure on device manager -- still no luck.

but after going directly to the graphic card vendors website, letting the site evalute the correct and current driver, everything started working correctly.   Many others have also reported the need to get the most current driver ...

additionally, on one of the laptops there was the need to open up the graphic card's control panel and tweek a setting to better use gpu.

after using CC 2014 for while now, I'm really enjoying the new features and haven't had anyrepeatable problems and only a few glitches with the wacom tablet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To anyone experiencing slowness:  What is your Preferences - Performance - Cache Levels setting?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2195 MHz

Built-in memory: 8099 MB

Free memory: 4346 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 7101 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 70 %

Image tile size: 1024K

Image cache levels: 4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2014 Jul 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issues here...

MBP 15" retina - 16G ram - 2,3 GHz Intel Core i7 - osx 10.9.3 - I have the latest Wacom Intuos 5 driver installed.

However, a colleague is having the exact same issue and he's on a brand new Mac Pro (12G ram - 3,7-GHz quad-core processor - osx 10.9.3 - NO Wacom driver installed)...

I'm running both CC and CC 2014 with the same file, and notice the file handling and overall performance is almost incomparable.

Both versions have the same preferences (disabled image previews, disabled font preview, cache level to 4, disabled background saving, etc).

CC 2014 is just a lot more sluggish and slow to respond - I had to get back to CC because this is really unworkable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 07, 2014 Jul 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

me too -- had to un-install CC2014 just to get PS to operate with any stable functionality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone who is experiencing performance issues on Windows OS with PS CC 2014 located anywhere near the SF bay area or silicon valley (or anywhere west of the rockies if all else fails)?  If so, I'd like to visit to try to diagnose this.  There are a handful of issues that have been reported and I'm working on trying to get them isolated.  If you're interested in helping, feel free to contact me directly via email:  first name dot last name at adobe dot com

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Benicia, 94510 ... have two win7x64 boxes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't paid to much attention to speed.  I could say it does load a little slower then the previous version of CC.

Ps - Does this forum send out email notifications for threads any more ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

StrongBeaver I think you can click "Follow" or "Bookmark" up in the top right side panel that would probably allow you to track this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 09, 2014 Jul 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turns out, I am following this thread and all updates should arrive in my inbox, that isn't the case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having nothing but problems since installing Photoshop CC 2014. The previous CC version worked flawlessly for me.

It's extremely slow and unresponsive, even without any documents open, or just an empty document, say 600px x 400px large.

The menus are slow and freeze when hovering or navigating the dropdowns and flyouts, the mouse cursor lags and sometimes freezes and then catches up again. The entire program sometimes freezes and becomes unresponsive for no apparent reason.

I thought it might have something to do with the GPU acceleration so I tried switching that off and restarting with no noticeable improvement. I've double checked to make sure my GPU drivers are up to date.

Keep in mind it was slow and sluggish out of the box before I changed any default settings.

System specs are:

Windows 8 Pro

Intel i7-3820 CPU at 3.6 GHz

16 GB 2400 MHz RAM

Nvidia 670 GTX 2 GB

64 GB Intel SSD for scratch disk

No pen or touch enabled (no Wacom)

No third party plugins installed yet

Available RAM: 14554 MB

Ideal Range: 8004-10479 MB

Let Photoshop Use: 10188 MB (70%)

History States: 50

Cache Levels: 4

Cache Tile Size: 1024k

Scratch Disk set to D, an empty 64 GB SSD.

Use Graphics Processor: On

Drawing Mode: Advanced

Use GPU to Accelerate Computation: On

Use OpenCL: On

Anti-alias Guides and Paths: On

30 Bit Display: Off

Going to keep following this thread to see if anyone comes up with anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

question for Brad:

what tablet services are running?  think on win8, there might be a couple -- at least Tablet PC Input Serice ...  win8 installs them automatically

might try stopping them to test ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Eliz. The Tablet Input Service is stopped and not running. I don't think it runs if compatible hardware isn't present. Don't see any other obvious culprits running. Keep in mind this is the exact same machine as I was running the last version of CC on until last week.

Thanks for giving me some ideas though!

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI:

if you've ever installed the Wacom drivers, several services are installed and will automatically start (unless you've changed this). 

wacom professional service

tablet service wacom

wacom-ie

wacom--netscape

wacom--fb

the first time the tablet is actually plugged into the USB connection, several additional OS drivers are installed:

tablet PC Input

USB..

so even if your tablet isn't plugged in to your Box, these drivers can still be active.

for my systems, stopping tabletservicewacom relieves the slowdown--- but of course, makes the pen of limited functionality.  The crazy way around this is to create a batch executable that bounces the service...strangely, this clears up PS slowdown for awhile &seems to indicate some conflict somewhere within the blackbox. :>(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Serious issues, especially when uses custom brushes, I use the Wacom Intuos 5 and I can't draw anymore waiting a few seconds for my lines to appear.

Also overall Photoshop is very slow since the update, deleting layers, opening files, adding fx to text, converting to smart layers... etc etc.

Overall issues:

• Custom brushes, very slow
  • Deleting layers
  • Editing Smart Objects, superslow
  • Handling larger files  (100+MB)
  • Clicking certain buttons/menus, have to wait several seconds
  • Zooming in and out is incredibly slow
  • Overall... everything is much much much slower

Specs:

MAC PRO (new one)

MAC OSX / 10.9.3

Processor  3,5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5

Memory  32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC

Video  AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB

What can I do?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under preferences/advanced/graphical processor  what are your settings?

Have you tried other settings?

Do you have the latest Wacom driver?

What is your cache level set at?  Should be at least 4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My settings arent altered from when it did work. But here it is:

All three checkboxes are checked (with advanced settings), mode is advanced.

Yes I have the latest wacom driver. Cache level is 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, experiencing the same issues I have with Photoshop in Illustrator and Indesign. All since the update to CC 2014 and on a brand new Mac Pro (see specs in earlier post). Whats up Adobe doc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know its of little help for those experiencing slow responses from PS, but I just installed PS CC 2014 on a new 2014 mac book pro with with 8 gig of ram and its as fast as PS CC. So it does not effect machines with any kind of common thread.

Just wish we could figure out what the common denominator that is causing the slowness.

Wonder what would happen if people uninstalled PS and just ran PS CC 2014 on their machine to see if it would make a difference.

Windows has so many .dll issues that I wonder if something is not getting registered properly in the registry due to permission issues.

Is everyone logged in a "administrator" on their windows machines when ACC is installing?

Can people post screen shots of their task manager when working with PS CC and again when using PS CC 2014 as it becomes sluggish or un responsive?

It could indicate possible  process overloads which might be causing PS to be non responsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some people have reported that uninstalling 14.2.1 (PS CC) then re-installing it helps performance with PS CC 2014.  Have you tried that?  I'm curious if there's a component being installed or overwritten that's causing (one of) the performance issues described above.

And yes, when the app is running slow, please check Task Manager to see how much CPU Photoshop is using and if there are other processes that could be competing with PS with heavy CPU usage.  If you want to take it a step further, activate the read I/O and write I/O columns in task manager to see if there's heavy disc access either by PS or another process when PS is performing slowly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines