• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2015 is so slow it is unusable on my system

Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what is wrong here but this version of PS its horribly slow.

Here is a video i just captured about this issue:

http://cl.ly/2W0P381A1G1y/60fps-PSCC2015-slow.mp4

There is not difference with GPU enabled, there is no difference if I have or not rules enabled. I never experienced something like with with CC 2014.

MacPro with 12 cores and 64GB RAM

Its there something I could do to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

We have a suggestion we'd like affected people to try out.

If you have slow menus or laggy commands, can you try turning OFF font preview (Type>Font Preview Size = None)?

(If it was already off, and you still have slow menus or laggy commands, we'd like to know that as well.)

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 378 Replies 378
Participant ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where is this in Dreamweaver?? Maybe nice to explain things better. Last update destroyed my CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2016 May 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is nested under the Preferences>Type, not the "Type" Menu.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 04, 2016 Jul 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked a treat. First time in 5 years that the first link at the top of Google actually had a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2016 Feb 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have slow menus or laggy commands, can you try turning OFF font preview (Type>Font Preview Size = None)?

I had excacly the same problem. For 4 months now. As a designer I depend on Ps. So... now finally it is fixed!

After reading 100 forum posts, viewing 20+ youtube video's this is the solution and man I am happy.

Windows 10

Processor: Intel Core i7-4800MQ CPU 2.70Ghz

RAM: 16 GB

System: 64 bits, 64 processor

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780M

Alienware

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jan veninga wrote:

I had excacly the same problem. For 4 months now. As a designer I depend on Ps. So... now finally it is fixed!

After reading 100 forum posts, viewing 20+ youtube video's this is the solution and man I am happy.

Windows 10

Processor: Intel Core i7-4800MQ CPU 2.70Ghz

RAM: 16 GB

System: 64 bits, 64 processor

Graphics: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780M

Alienware

I don't know why the "gamer" manufacturers don't promote their toys as graphics tools.  A couple years ago I spent $1800 on an ASUS "Republic of Gamers" laptop with similar specs.  Even video editing is a pleasure!  At the time I thought I wanted a high end Apple.  The ASUS was about half the price and had more features.  I've never played a game on it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

true @whsprague ... they should promote their game-rigs this way.

I am a designer and video editor and a gamer. Therefore decided to get

me this Alienware beast, and it was a right decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jan veninga wrote:

true @whsprague ... they should promote their game-rigs this way.

I am a designer and video editor and a gamer. Therefore decided to get

me this Alienware beast, and it was a right decision.

Off topic, so please excuse me.  I'm 70 and never (successfully) played a video game in my entire life.  Everything I've tried seems dedicated to making me into a quick looser.  It is worse than learning Photoshop!  Do you have a suggestion for a beginner? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good for you. I still have the problem even after doing the suggested "fix". Truly, the lagginess is so painful I can't even work properly both on Illustrator and Photoshop. Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also encounter bad performance with the latest CC2015 version, especially with vector layers (i.e. a rectangle layer).

When selecting the layer in the layers pannel the cursor turns in the blinking dots icon for 5 to 10 seconds before I can drag it.

Selecting another layer... blining dots again..

- Also when selecting a rectangle layer the properties panel has difficulty updating. Closing the properties panel does speed up things a little.

- Enabling/disabling GPU performance in the preferences panel doesn't make any difference.

My system:

Win 8.1

HPZ840

Dual Xeon 10c

64GB Ram

SSD

Quadro K5200

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hopeful I had finally found an answer, but turning off Font Preview does nothing to speed up Photoshop for me. As one example, using the quick selection tool takes anywhere from 8 to 25 seconds to make a selection. Brushes are slow, but not as slow as the quick selection tool. Making the suggested "fix" changed nothing.

Photoshop is not usable. Even if I had the kind of time required to wait that long for each operation, it isn't possible to make edits when seeing the edits live isn't possible because of a spinning tool.

This needs to be resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2016 Feb 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed mine!!

Preferences > Performance > Cache Levels = 4

Preferences > Scratch Disks = <select the disk where your images are stored>

Super-fast Photoshop now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2016 Feb 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS is SUPER SLOW for me too. Just started. Same with Illustrator. This was after I turned on graphics library sharing in Illustrator. I've tried the font preview & rulers, and a few others from above to no avail. I will delve into the libraries issue a little further -- I think that's what started this since it was fine before. When I say slow, I mean like I'm watching the wheel spin between every action. Not just a little lag. Majorly slow. Productivity = 

Mac OS X El Capitan

Macbook Pro Retina 15 " late 2014

NVVIDIA graphics card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2016 Mar 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to a new Lenovo P50, 32GB RAM, SSD boot drive, Quadro M2000M video card... and ran into this issue.  Read all the posts, tried the solutions w/o success... and downloaded the 2014 Version of Photoshop... works great.  Hopefully a solid solution will come for the 2015 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar performance issues here.
On my laptop it works fine. On my desktop it is slow, but not terrible.

On my Wife's PC, she was using CS6 until some weeks ago and it was great. Now, with CC2015 it is REALLY, REALLY slow... Can't work. 😕

Her configs (quite old, but was running CS6 veeeeeery smoothly):

CPU AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
8GB memory

R7 200 VGA

Regular 7200rpm HD with 400GB of free space
Windows 10

Update:

We've just re-installed older versions of PS on the PCs and it is working fine again.
We're now using CS6 and CC with no performance issues at all. CC2014 is not ok, although it is performing a little better than CC2015.

=/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just wanted to throw in my $0.02.  I've been using Illustrator and Photoshop CC 2015 (always at the current build) for the past 6 months or so with no problems.  Just last week in Illustrator nearly every file I was working on from simple to complex, from one artboard to several was slow as molasses.  A pan or zoom might lag for 10-30 seconds, moving objects had a long wait...just about everything...it was painful.

I don't have a million $$$ computer that some do here, but on machine with 8 cores, 16gigs ram, mirrored solid state drives and decent video card, I would not expect to have to wait 20 seconds to resize a simple square with a gradient.

After MUCH troubleshooting i realized what the problem was....when manipulating anything I noticed the Navigator window/panel was open, and the panel itself would freeze up and take quite a long time to redraw its little thumbnail.  So I turned off the window/panel, BOOM, everything was lightning fast again.  I re-enabled it, slow as hell again.

I haven't experienced any of this in Photoshop, just Illustrator, nor have I tested it.  It probably won't help everyone, but I certainly hope it helps someone!

- Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is off and has been. It isn't the individual program updates, it's the recent CC update. I'm still working in previous version of InDesign which was working fine until I was forced to update CC this last week. Since then, PhotoShop and InDesign have been terribly slow. The only fix I've found is turning off my Wi-Fi. It's like it is in constant communication with the cloud or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 13, 2016 Mar 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is interesting.  I have to try that.  The cloud doesn't help me much.  I prefer local storage.  I use the AcrobatDc for signage that's about it.  All the updates have screwed up my adobe cc apps.  Apparently the updates have new system requirements especially graphics, etc.  Of course those of us who fall below the hardware requirements are SCREWED.   TIRED OF PAYING OVER $500 a year for updates and software that don't work on my hardware and apparently a lot of other users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No solution Yet - Adobe works on some of my systems (I have 4) - sadly my main and most powerful system has this slowness ui problem.

After 24 years of using photoshop (1992) it will be sad to be now locked out of using the newest PS for the first time ever.

Affinity is coming to windows, I have tested it on my macbook and seriously considering jumping ship. I just need to replace Premiere and After-effects. I keen to try Nuke Studio 10 (cannot test the beta as a test-user). It integrates a non-linear video editor with a fx-system. The cost and time implication for my team is something I have to consider, but the latest version of adobe had issues across all products I use (PS - ui slowness, AFX - cache issues and broken undo until fix arrived, Premiere - cashing and sound-channels issues).

Affinity coming to windows:

https://affinity.serif.com/blog/affinity-is-coming-to-windows/

Affinity | Blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 15, 2016 Mar 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really want Adobe to react and show they are interested in our business. I really want to continue using Adobe's tools. Adobe has to realise they cannot continue ignoring the current state and growing discontent from loyal customers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2016 Mar 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am equally frustrated with the 2015 release of photoshop, high CPU load, sluggish, crashing and freezing. If this continues I will look deep into Affinity instead (windows).

Before I continue, I've tried every single suggestion on this forum (and on others) running Windows x64, 32 gb RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 from a SSD drive, fresh OS (after believing it might be related to a bloated OS) install , no plugins.

Damn, and I love photoshop 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you 100%. My frustrations with Adobe over the last year have only been accelerating, yet I feel trapped in that I literally depend on all their software. I am also on a similar boat where I could potentially replace Photoshop and illustrator...but After Effects wouldn't be an easy transition out of.

The latest release (CC 2015) has been nothing short of an atrocious effort so far, on pretty much every front. I have switched back to the 2014 release for all of them, and I have lost my patience in hoping that the updates bring it to even the level of their past releases. If I could actually bill for the time lost dealing with the issues related to the last update, I would have a nice paycheck coming in. I will try again once the 2016 release happens, but my expectations are very, very low.

Adobe seems to be far more interested in adding new tools and features than they are on the stability and performance of their software, my guess because that makes for a nicer bold line item when it comes time to try to sell new subscriptions. What's the point of all the new features if the software becomes unusable in a production environment? For people that work day in and day out with their software, stability and performance are FAR more important than a fancy and flashy new feature. I am all for innovation and pushing the software forward, but not at the expense of a usable software in a production environment.

At least we have the option to go back and use older versions with CC, but man, it sure makes that monthly payment painful if we are stuck using the older versions because they can't seem to release stable, usable products. I used to sing the praises of CC, but now I'm back to recommending people to stick to their non-subscription CS6 if they are able to at all. I feel that the moment there truly is a competitive alternative to all their software, I would jump ship, and Adobe doesn't seem to care at all that many of its users now feel this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running on an iMac Retina with 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5 and 32GB of RAM.

I have a lot of usability issues with both Photoshop and Illustrator CC 2015. General responsiveness is slow, zooming and scrolling is very slow. Accuracy of cursor placement is ropey. I get bounding boxes outside the actual shape. Dialogue boxes in Photoshop will only allow me to select font size, for instance, once. I then have to click off of the text layer and back on again to activate it again. I turned GPU off in the first day as this function really causes issues. I get a lot of lag when using both applications. I get random movement of objects when I close and reopen illustrator files. Saving is slow in both applications. I've given up using any effects in Illustrator. At times I feel a bit like I've stepped back 20 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've watched the evolution of photoshop. It went from a 50mb file as Photoshop 5.5 and now has grown 100x's in size but some how over a decade an a half of development, it's now SLOWER then a g3 400mhz imac running the same software nearly 2 decades older.

Ive tried everything.

- turn off rulers.

- turn of font preview size to none.

- turn off cloud

- scratch disks

etc etc etc

Nothing works for long. Its like when hardware venders say "they've released the fastest computer yet and photoshop will run 2x's faster."

Adobe screams, "CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!"

I have a questions, if the software works half as well, shouldn't we pay half the price? How did this piece of software become just bloatware?

I cant believe im paying for this. As a company, Adobe should be embarrassed with what they've released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you increased your cache level to 4 and cache size to 1024K?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES!

I made sure i searched the forums. A few things like the rulers helped for a few minutes usually for zoom in. But the moment i try to zoom out. BOOM here we are again.

Also, i shouldn't have to tweak Photoshop this much. A decade ago, Adobe represented quality software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines