• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2017 Unusable slow

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2016 Nov 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my Photoshop to CC 2017 today and since the upgrade it has been very very slow. When I click on File menu the dropdown menu appears like after 3-4 seconds. When I delete layer it take about 10 second. Zoom in and out are terribly slow. I work on Photoshop everyday hope to get the problem resolve as soon as possible.

Is there a way to downgrade to earlier version?

My computer details:

Windows 10 Pro

Processor: Intel i7-5960X

RAM: 32 GB

Graphic: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

SSD

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 403 Replies 403
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2016 Nov 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for sharing the link. However, my CC doesn't show the options. I cannot find addtional photoshop apps. Myy cc looks different from the link.

I want to go back to 2015 version as well.

Please help me here. Thank you very much

Grace

photo2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Grace,

I don't know why your not seeing the previous version, but suspect you don't want to do a lot of troubleshooting to find out , so instead just download the complete installer here. It will leave CC2017 on your system so you can go back to it if you wish while allowing you to work with CC2015.5.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-previous-version-apps-download.html

Once you have got the old version installed click on 'update' under the help menu from within Photoshop and allow it to bring the version up to CC2015.5.2 Hope it works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you

I will try that

Grace

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't make it that intuitive. the older versions that you haven't installed are under:
find additional apps > all apps > view previous versions > photography, then click on Photoshop and you'll see the screen above.desktop.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2016 Nov 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. Photoshop CC 2017 worked too slow. And I tryed to hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift while clicking on PS icon, and then the dialog box appeared and asked about delete the user preferences. After I deleted it PS work very fast. GPU is turned on now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2016 Nov 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This fixed slow file initiation when opening and a crash while trying to print,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2016 Nov 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS 2017 is a sucks. This problem returned next day. I deleted Photoshop 2017, and installed PS 2015. And I got rid of all these problems. I will never make the same mistake. I will install updates only after carefully reading feedbacks, and forums.

Thank you Adobe! By the way, once I had a problem with Adobe software, and wrote to support, and I got answer few month later :))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2016 Nov 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same problem in InDesign and Photoshop. I appreciate the solutions offered but it's foolish that we need to change our GPU settings or create new admin users only to get the same performance we had with the previous CC version. I dread when a new update is offered because all of the bugs and performance errors with the update tend to be the highlight rather than any obvious benefits..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FIXED!

Illustrator 2017 was eating 99% of my computer's CPU power, but Adobe seem to have fixed it.

So I rang Adobe support and they logged in remotely. I'm not technical but they said that I had a bunch of junk associated with the previous installations of the various apps, but once they cleaned that up it's all working perfectly. Wish I could be clearer about exactly what they did but I'm not very technical I'm afraid. If you're having an issue like this I suggest you call Adobe support and get them to do the same for you. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2016 Nov 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having major issues with Illustrator, and went ahead and called them based on your post, and they did the same thing. Logged in remotely, and removed a lot of stuff associated with previous installations (caches, preferences, etc.). It works great now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many things that can cause poor performance. The first thing to check is what the CPU utilization is-sometimes an app goes rogue and consumes nearly all the processor. Something I have noticed is excessive disk activity on startup on Windows 10.If you find the disk activity is high, go to Task Manager and on the Startup Tab disable the Adobe processes I have marked below. Mac users can do the same thing but I don't have a capture for that. You may not have everything on the list as systems differ, but disable what is there and restart your computer.

There appears to be an enormous amount of disk activity, often 100% on startup when these processes are active and they are 'writes' not 'reads' so If your operating system is on an SSD this can make your computer with any app not just Photoshop unstable for tens of minutes. The processes listed below are largely involved in handshaking with the Adobe servers to make the library features work as far as I can see and you can do without them if absolutely necessary. Personally I love the library features and so leave everything on. Instead I switch the computer on and leave it for 30 minutes to settle down. 

startup.png

Another thing to watch for is 'file syncing' This enables you to access your images across devices anywhere and also is excellent for collaborative projects. The snag is most people don't have high speed upload speeds with their broadband connection-it can easily be 5% of the download speed and if you are syncing  large files with the 'cloud' it can take hours. This can be quite resource intensive. I would suggest turning 'syncing' off unless you really must have access in multiple locations as a LAN is much faster for most purposes. If you want to do that in the Desktop App click on 'Assets' and then 'Files'. You will see a button or link that enables Syncing to be turned off. The computer needs restarting before the setting takes effect.

2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run as Administrator, It helps speed up After Effects opening

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone. I know this thread is titled Photoshop, but I am having the same issues described above with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2017. Before the upgrade, everything ran smoothly and I could easily work quickly with any type of footage.

Right now, if I start a new project, import a single 237 MB 1080p file and try to work with it  - My CPU will skyrocket and of course my RAM is eaten up. Last version I did not have this issue no matter how many FX or grades I added to my comp.

My computer is a very high spec workstation, I know I shouldn't be having this many problems.

My Setup:

Main System Drive: Intel 1.2TB PCIe SSD
System OS: Latest Windows 10

Scratch Drive:
1TB Samsung 950 Pro SSD

Intel i7-5960X water cooled running at a stable 4GHz

x2 SLI Nvidia 1080p's
64 GIG Ram

Not sure what to do!

Thanks for nay help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree jwuliger.

Premier Pro 2017 is very choppy and broken. I confirmed this by rolling back to 2015.3 - everything smooth as silk. Re-installed Premier Pro 2017 and everything got super choppy and slow again with the same projects. I found that closing windows such as info and Effects Controls speed things up again a little but not practical when editing.

I am finding Photoshop and Premier the worst affected by the 2017 upgrade with Illustrator, After Effects and Indesign not as bad. And let's face it, Acrobat has been broken since the UI update

This really is quite a disaster on Adobe's part. I think from now on I'll wait a month before upgrading any Adobe product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2016 Nov 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know people have been posting about Mac issues, but I'd really like to focus on the application running slowly on Windows.

In an attempt to diagnose what's going on I need the following information (try each of these one-at-a-time please):

1.  Have you tried to run the app with the Creative Cloud app quit and the internet disconnected from your system?

2.  Do you have any anti-virus software running on your system?  If so, have you tried disabling it and then running Photoshop to see if the files open faster?

3.  Finally, if all else fails, try navigating to Windows (C:)\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Required\CEP and moving the CEPHtmlEngine.exe to your desktop then re-launching the application (you'll want to keep it so you can move it back - CC Libraries and other pieces of Photoshop will not run without it, but this could help us diagnose the issue).

4.  Turn off font previews (Type > Font Preview Size > None - then quit and re-launch PS)

5.  Disable the Spaces plug-in:  navigate to (C:)\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2017\Required\Plug-ins\Spaces\ - then rename Spaces.8li to ~Spaces.8li - then quit and re-launch PS (renaming it later to remove the '~' will get the plug-in to load on future app launches)

Do any of these changes help?

If not, and you're located anywhere in the CA bay area, let me know and I'd be willing to come visit in-person to help diagnose this.

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam,

I followed all of your steps, and Photoshop is still slow (actually Illustrator has a lot of bugs and is slow too...). Type tool is the slowest thing. Tried to clean install, reinstal, format Windows, run as administrator, font test script... everything...

Worst things (very slow):

* type tool (selecting text in text layer, scrolling through font list)

* new "create document" interface

* new "welcome menu" (latest projects)

* webdesign mode of interface - veeeery slow

* adobe cloud libaries panel

I think that application code is not optimized correctly... Maybe CC2017 should be published in 2017 😉 Looking for reason of bad performance in our system configuration is not good idea while the entrie application is big crapp... sorry to say. CC2017 is like Vista or Millenium, srlsly. I am using W10 x64  i5-5200U, 12GB DDR3, GeForce 920M, SSD and I can't work smooth on simple things like selecting piece of text without lagging, freezing etc. Last "light" and fast version was CS6. Every next update = slow, pain...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open PS and disconnect your internet connection and get back to us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it. Nothing happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this. Type tool is the slowest of them all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding the new/updated Create New Document window,

(in Illustrator at least) in General Preferences check the box [ √ ] Use legacy "File New" Interface,

it's the old one, with more straight forward information and more useful IMO...

I don't get it why companies want to water down their applications and interface (like Apple's iMovie through the years, doesn't make sense)

ps. since the new/initial CC 2017 release there have been a couple of updates almost immediately (AE and Premier Pro) so I guess they are working on it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please look within your code. So many computers can't go crap at the same time. There is no point in us trying to send you diagnosis info, when the problem is deep in your code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2016 Dec 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Adam! its working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can I get a download link or something of the previous version?

I can't work 😕

Help me plz!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue on both my 2014 Macbook Pro and 2015 iMac. Every little task brings up the dreaded pinwheel of death. Completely unusable. And as of today, it's crashed on me 3 times in 1 hour! Nothing like this happened with the previous version.

Trying to create a new admin profile isn't a real solution. I shouldn't have to completely alter my workflow. I'm reinstalling 2015.5 for now but I hope Adobe fixes this issue soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi HabitPro,

Sorry for the crashes and pinwheels. To troubleshoot the crashes, it'd be better to move it off of this thread about performance in Photoshop.

If you get another crash, can you post the crash report details over here where we can troubleshoot? feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family

Regards

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines