Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018 Brush lag

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I updated PS yesterday and everytjing was fine, but today suddenly I got big brush lags. With smoothing on or off, no difference.

Lag gets even worse while zooming above 50%.

I've restarted preferences and PC and nothing happens.

I'm losing half a day trying to figure it out and its really nervous situation. Any ideas how to fix it?

Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, GTX 970, Intel i5 4570

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Try to set smoothing to 0% on normal brush and then back to healing brush

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

SOLVED THE PROBLEM

It looks like Adobe, if I'm not mistaken, added a new option in the 2019 version and by default, it's on. What worked for me is turning off "Enable Preserve Details 2.0 Upscale" under the Technology Preview preference. Let me know if this works for you guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 218 Replies 218
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried your solution when my eraser stopped working properly. 10 minutes after reseting settings my brush stopped working but eraser works fine. I want to kill something now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jullian M,

Renaming the settings folder worked for me, unfortunately, it also loses all my settings/workspaces etc.  Is it possible to find out which setting specifically create this issue so that we can isolate and delete only that file?

Thanks

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we stop with this nonsense, renaming folders don't fix the problem (work 10 min, switch some tools  and you will be back where you started). There are no solutions here. Adobe needs to fix this asap. I cant believe they are not responding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I am unsubscribing from this now. I've got out of the habit of using the tools affected and I will be anticipating an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Hello,

Could you please try to reset the preferences of the application ?

All you got to do is rename the "Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings" folder in your machine

You can find it

-on Mac : ~/library/preferences/Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings

-on Windows : C:\users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings

Rename it by adding the word "old" for example

Hope it helps!

Jullian M.

Adobe Customer Service"

When is Adobe support going to realize that trashing their customer's preferences which take a lot of time to customize isn't an acceptable solution to a bug that gets introduced? If you know that it's something in the preferences that gets messed up, figure out which one it is and release a patch to correct it. Don't force us to re-configure everything by hand!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did a fresh install of CC 2018 on a Surface Book 2 15" and the brush lag is absolutely horrible.  Every other pen supported program is buttery smooth so what's the deal with Photoshop? Photoshop updates have been pretty buggy as of late and it feels like Adobe is prioritizing quantity (of features) over quality. A $10 app from the Windows Store should not have a smoother drawing experience than the industry standard program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I didn't realize there were still separate pen settings in the old "pen and touch"  control panel. I'm on Windows 10 with the fall creators update installed and I thought that control panel had been retired. Anyways, I turned off all pen related settings in there (the flicks, press and hold for right click,  etc) and the split second pause before any brush stroke is gone. It's still a photoshop issue since other art applications don't show the same behavior, but this at least fixed the primary issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works perfectly. After you have to reorganize your gui but however PS is Young and fresh! Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2018 May 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a mac turn off smoothing in brush settings and it lag goes away. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here! The brush is very laggy. I hope they'll fix this soon. Also need they to fix the iMac 4K black screen flickering too! Anyway I quit using Photoshop about 10 months ago and use other program instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just Set the Smoothing to 0% it works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. It doesn't. The healing brush is the most broken of all for me and smoothing has nothing to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fittiani, you are brilliant! I unchecked the smoothing...and not BS lagging of my eraser tool!  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone had an issue with tools changing while using the hand tool to scroll around a document? I am an illustrator, and use the brush tool constantly. My shortcut to scroll around the document is to use the space bar (hand tool), while the brush is still selected. However, now in CC 2018 when I get to my desired location within the document and release the space bar, my tool switches to the tool I used prior to using the brush tool. For example, when using the brush tool I move around with the hand tool, and then it switches to something like the lasso tool for no good reason. Incredibly frustrating to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI I am using a Cintiq 27QHD; I have updated and installed the latest driver so I believe it is a Photoshop issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jithyjens......Yes, I'm having the same issue with the tools changing by themselves.  Very annoying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, Spot Healing Brush tool very very laggy. Imppossbile to work in this conditions. All previous suggested "solutions" solved nothing. No effect at all, still laggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with the healing brush, although currently the spot healing brush appears unaffected.  The lag is causing significant delays in processing images for customers, so I'm not impressed.

I went to try the folder rename trick suggested above, however I do not have that folder on my PC - there appears to be no \appdata\ folder where it is supposed to be.  I have a standard installation on Win7, so not sure where it may have gone.

A couple of other issues too - surely it should be possible to port over major third party filters during an install these days, why oh why do we have to manually reinstall them everytime there is a version update.

Since installation of cc2018 when I open the program I get a 'missing dll' error message which vanishes after three clicks.  Probably fixable with a re-install - if I can face having to do it all again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see Appdata foler, you have to have visible hidden files and folders. You can change it in folders preferences in control panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks, that helped me find the folders and carry out the instructions as above.

It worked for about an hour, now it's back the same with lag.

In case it helps the boffins at Adobe:

HPZ620 Workstation Win7 Pro - affected by issue

HPZ800 Workstation Win7 Pro - currently unaffected by issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded PS CC 2018 yesterday. And it is SLOW. Brushes lag, stamping lags, retouching sucks.

What have you done.
Just renamed this settings to old.

Lets see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 .  Random. Brushes and some tools and some cursor freeze ending in wrong tool being selected from the toolbar.  Mouse and Intuos Pro with Grip pen.  I got rid of Logitech Options software for my MX Master mouse - this seems to have helped though mouse cursor still occasionally jerky in use.  Are the new flyout tool videos causing any problems?  My drivers and W10 Pro (1709) up to date. 32Gbs ram and all progs and data on SSDs.

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering about those 'help' fly-outs also. Can I disable them? It is annoying and I am wondering about issues. I don't need or want them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as I open photoshop 2018 everything slows down in the computer. Illustrator fine, XD fine, but as soons as I open it everything slows. Like doing WINDOWS + D to go to desktop lags so much, so much that the icons in the desktop disappear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines