Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2018 Brush lag

Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I updated PS yesterday and everytjing was fine, but today suddenly I got big brush lags. With smoothing on or off, no difference.

Lag gets even worse while zooming above 50%.

I've restarted preferences and PC and nothing happens.

I'm losing half a day trying to figure it out and its really nervous situation. Any ideas how to fix it?

Windows 7, 16 GB RAM, GTX 970, Intel i5 4570

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Oct 20, 2017 Oct 20, 2017

Try to set smoothing to 0% on normal brush and then back to healing brush

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

SOLVED THE PROBLEM

It looks like Adobe, if I'm not mistaken, added a new option in the 2019 version and by default, it's on. What worked for me is turning off "Enable Preserve Details 2.0 Upscale" under the Technology Preview preference. Let me know if this works for you guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 218 Replies 218
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.  I had the same problem in Lightroom Classic and PS.  Seems there are different solutions for different people, but will share in case it helps.  Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

My problem was multiple graphic cards.  One is Intel, and the other Nvidia.  I used Solution #3, section 6, and modified all my Adobe programs from the Global/Auto Select option to Nvidia solely option.  This did the trick for me!!! All of my products are now lightning quick.

I would recommend updating all your drivers PRIOR to changing.

I do hope this helps!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll admit your advice definitely did something its moving alot faster. thanks bud

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like the healing stamp/brush issue. It's the same symptoms.

Photoshop CC 2018: Healing and Spot Healing Brush Lag | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem but with less severe lag -- the pixels that the brush is putting down are noticeably behind the cursor position. Tried prefs rename, doesn't fix it. And yes, customising prefs takes ages and is not a proper fix to a performance problem. What does work, is using an ancient version of photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2018 Sep 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an Adobe UX fail and caused a whole lot of non-productive hours. The problem is the Brush Smoothing setting. If its set anything above '0' it activates a whole bunch of setting options that are not needed. If its set at '0', the issues go away.

I had the same issue using a combination of Healing Brush and Brush. It also affected my Wacom Tablet as well as the Mouse. Try this to get rid of the lag in the Brush:

Select your Brush Tool

Go up to Smoothing and set it to '0'

This deactivates the options found in the Smoothing Panel—That Gear Dropdown Icon next to Smoothing

If you need to set Smoothing above '0', the Smoothing Options in the Gear Dropdown activate a group of options such as Lag and Pulled String options again, which are a pain. You just need to figure out what is relevant to you. That Pulled String effect may also be switched off in the:

PhotoShop Preferences > Cursors > Show Brush Leash While Smoothing

I assume this applies to PC versions as well.

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having this issue and did the recommended actions of setting smoothing to "0" and going to "Photoshop CC> Preferences> Cursors and uncheck 'Show Brush Leash While Smoothing' box" and that corrected the red line (SO annoying). I am also finding that, since the update, the 'skin smoothing' actions on my plugin is not working correctly. Is anyone else having that issue or know why that would happen? It involves painting on a mask with a white brush? Plus those stupid 'help' pop-up images are coming up constantly. Now I will have to see if I can turn them off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2018 is near unusable at the moment. I am using the Mixer Brush to clone paint from a photo and after a few brushstrokes terrible lag occurs; I make a brushstroke and then the cursor becomes the circular flashing dots showing that the laptop is catching up.  It seems that when I first start I get a short period of normal fluent brushstrokes, but then the terrible lags begin.  Has anyone found a solution to this yet?  Why might the brushstrokes be ok at the very start of a session and then start delaying? The problem arises whether I am zoomed in or out.

I'm using W10 Pro on a Dell XPS 15 9550 laptop and a Wacom Intuos Pro with Grip Pen.

Thanks

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 27, 2019 Apr 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The solution might be Corel Paint!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Original post over two weeks ago. Adobe, any fix update soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found the fix...download Corel Paint...no lags!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can Adobe not have responded to this!? Such an annoying bug.

People rely on this software and trust it to work. It is used for business and needs to function properly so that deadlines can be met.

I update reluctantly every time and for good reason.

Adobe, please respond with a fix ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's more than annoying, it's a work stoppage issue. I simply can't use 2018. It's too slow to even consider right now. The new brush tools have destroyed PS. I have 2017 and 2018 installed side by side, just waiting for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's something to try, as suggested by another Forum user:

"Delete the AAMUpdater folder and the OOBE folder in the C:\Users\[your user name\AppData\Local\Adobe folder. You may not be able to completely delete the AAMUpdater folder, as AAM is running. I then did a reinstall of the AAM, actually, since it was installed, and I just deleted part of it, It gave me an option to repair it, which I did. I don't know why this worked, but it did."

Please let me know if this helps. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for about 10 minutes, then the problem came back as soon as I touched the brush tool.  Closed PS, restarted problem was still there.  did the above, fixed until i touched the brush then persisted again.  Windows 10, I7, 18GB Ram 2GB dedicated video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be a Mac thing, but as long as the smoothing is set to 0 and photoshop is restarted, it stays and works just fine here on our systems (iMac 5ks).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope...worked for about 10 minutes...wasted all that time doing what you suggested...Corel Painter looking better every day...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow!  Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having an issue with a slow Healing Brush tool. It happened as soon as I updated from CC 2017 to CC 2018. My settings are optimized for GPU acceleration and RAM, and I have 2 SSD scratch disks, but I'm still having this lag. Again, it was fine in CC 2017, an hour later when I updated to CC 2018, it was not working correctly.

System Specs:

Windows 10 Enterprise

64GB DDR3 RAM

NVidia GTX 1080 GPU

Intel Core i7 Broadwell

Dedicated 250GB SSD Scratch Disc (sATA)

Dedicated 500GB SSD Scratch Disc (sATA)

I do skin retouching. I can't have a 5 second lag each healing stroke. It's ridiculous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2017 Nov 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a trash can Mac Pro - this 2018 photoshop is essentially unusable. Fix this Adobe - stop counting your money for two seconds and fix your buggy product which your customers depend upon to pay their rent!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 14, 2017 Nov 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have released Photoshop CC 19.0.1 and have worked on improving the "Brush lag" we've seen in the last version.

Please update Photoshop from Creative Cloud desktop app and let us know if you continue to face similar issue.

If you do not see the update available, Please refer Available updates not listed for Adobe Creative Cloud applications

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2017 Nov 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated it but it's still laggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also did last update of October 14th. No difference, brush is still laggy as if the computer can't keep up with pace of my hand..

My colleague with pretty much the same setup (Windows 10 i7 workstation, 32gb ram, ssd) however does not experience this bug, so it's not as easy as to say it's a general bug in the 2018 CC update.

GPU acceleration on or of does not make a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sawthis same thing, a classmate of mine has the same specs but does not experience the bug (I have a MacBook pro 13" 2017 w/ touchbar, i5 8gb ram). As I am studying for graphic designer, I need this tool a lot so Adobe please find the problem and solve this please

Kind regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I was very angry and I spent several days trying to solve this issue((((. The Brush Tool works very slow, it's impossible to draw something. The distance between brush tip and actual brush trace at least two fingers. I've updated video card drivers, tablet drivers, latest version of PS. I bought a new tablet, lol. I was pretty sure my old one doesn't work properly anymore. Nothing helped.

I found only one SOLUTION - I installed the older version of PS -  CC 2017. And the brushes work fine with both tablets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines