• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 22.2 isn't deleting cropped pixels

Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure when this started, but I think it's fairly recent:  Even with the "Delete Cropped Pixels" box checked, Photoshop does *not* delete the unwanted pixels.

This causes a noticeable slowdown in my work doing photo enhancements.  I often scan multiple photos at a time in high resolution then crop them into individual files.  With PS now *not* deleting the pixels upon cropping, every adjustment I apply is applied to the size of the original large scan, not to the smaller single-photo file like I want.  PSD file sizes are much larger, too, of course.

Is there somehow to get PS to revert to the correct action to delete everything but what's inside the Crop tool bounds when "Delete Cropped Pixels" is selected?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

First try resetting the Crop Tool by right-clicking on its icon in the Options Bar

Using the Brush Tool as an example.

Brush reset.png

If that fails, Reset Preferences:

reset prefs 2020.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try resetting the Crop Tool by right-clicking on its icon in the Options Bar

Using the Brush Tool as an example.

Brush reset.png

If that fails, Reset Preferences:

reset prefs 2020.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seems to have done the trick.  After resetting Tools & Preferences, Photoshop is worrking as expected.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely horrible advice... didn't work and now I have to completely re-do all my settings I had before and have no idea how. Definitely don't suggest doing what this post says.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 15, 2023 Jan 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is advisable to save relevant customized Presets (Actions, Brushes, Styles, …) in their respective formats (atn, abr, asl, …) and back them up regularly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know why it's working this way on your computer. It's fine here. Two things to try:

• Prefs > General > Reset Preferences on Quit (after backing up customization)
    or
  • Use the Rectangle Marquee tool "M" > drag a rectangle (or set options in the options bar to a specific size or ratio) >
    then go to Image > Crop

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2021 Feb 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there Smart Objects involved? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work on smart objects, fyi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg thank you!!! i went mad trying to crop. Thank you so much!!! here are some screenshots for anyone who needs it

look in layers for the smart object icon.

Screenshot 2022-04-08 at 8.55.46 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-04-08 at 8.56.30 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-04-08 at 8.58.02 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-04-08 at 8.59.40 PM.png

please note smart objects wont crop pixels outside the crop area , even when you have that option turned on!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue.

In my case I imported a picture to an existing document using

the frame tool and resized it larger

The crop tool would not delete the  cropped pixels but worked perfectly in all other situations.

Hope this helps 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2023 Jan 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

What are the Crop Tool’s settings? 

Is the imported image a Smart Object? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2023 Jan 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All I did was not use the frame tool to place a layer on an existing document if it exceeds the boundary of your existing image.

fartothewest_0-1673628878736.png

Instead I open the other picture in photoshop and move (V) it to my document as I always did before the frame tool was introduced.

If your crop tool works on a single image but not on your document this fixed it for me. The image was not a smart object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is the issue resolved? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2023 Jan 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2023 Oct 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. After cropping and saving, when I reopen the document it still has the supposedly deleted files. I need crop because my original files are hundreds of Mb, and I don't want to carry that around in .psd files.

I've tried the "solution" of resetting the Crop tool by right-clicking on its icon in the Options Bar.I also tried "reset preferences on quit".  The supposedly cropped and deleted pixels remain.

Mac 13.6, Photoshop 22.5.3.

Screenshot 2023-10-27 at 10.11.38 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Isaac31299609p0df 

In the options bar for the Crop tool, is "Delete Cropped Pixels" checked or unchecked?

janee_0-1698418672363.png

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

checked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Isaac31299609p0df 

Do you have Art Boards or Smart Objects? We can't see your entire screen, including the Layers panel.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what those things are, but here is a full-sized screen shot.

The image is radar observation of Mars, if you're curious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came across this today and for me, it was a JPEG i had brought into a composite. I had to rasterize the layer first before it was able to delete unwanted pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2024 Feb 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your Statement hints at the actual problem (as already indicated by @jane-e ) – Smart Objects. 

In the future please please post meaningful screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines