Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop color picker suddenly isn't working

New Here ,
Jun 18, 2016 Jun 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• Hi,

I never had this problem before. I've been working on a project in Photoshop and for some reason, it is now only working in grayscale. When I used the color picker to change color, it doesn't work.  I know remember doing anything different to cause it to work only in grayscale, but I can't seem to figure out how to switch it back to color mode and I'm in the middle of an important project. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Penny Jones

[email removed]

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 18, 2016 Jun 18, 2016

Look at the Document tab at the top. RGB/8 should be the norm.  If you somehow tapped "q" on your keyboard, then it would read

"Quickmask/8" and the color picker would not select a color. Tap q again to get it back to RGB.

Always check the Document tab, it will clue you into what you have selected. It would read "Layer 0, Layer Mask/8" if you selected a layer mask.

Finally you may have selected a Color Channel and it would read Layer 0,Blue/8.  Cmd/Ctrl 2 can get you back to RGB.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Enthusiast ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never change any settings unless someone from support or forums suggest I do so. My Photoshop version worked perfectly fine in the past months. But when I install major releases (not bug fixes), for some reason my settings are gone. I then have to setup my workspace from scratch which can take many hours. I suspect, when this happens the photoshop settings are reset, which means all my previous optimized settings for AMD / Nvidia are wiped (some of this settings have been set by support on previous issues). 

Just to be clear: I have an AMD Ryzen 9 5950 X 16-core CPU but an Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti GPU (with studio driver not the gaming driver). The GPU is very common and the studio driver also one of the most professional graphic drivers available on the market. If Adobe cant handle those by default, then it surely is not Nvidia fault. I do have a feeling,  that Adobe is not very focused on Windows users when they release major updates. I always have so many issues when major release come out and it takes me weeks to resolve. Some problems get resolved eventually through subsequent bug-fix update releases, but I usually need to contact support to get it all back to normal. This needs to be improved, as it is absolutely detrimental to my workflow. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish Adobe would clearly warn users when a major update is released

By @Red Point

Many of us have turned off automatic updates for apps in the CC desktop and update on our own schedules — never when we are in the middle of an important project.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, definetly important to turn it off. As I was saying, it would also be nice if Adobe could tag major updates (not bugfix updates) in a very flashy way (like with a red highlighted label). Then I know not to update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems like the color picker issue was resolved in the latest update....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
May 26, 2024 May 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.) Ok, so in the normal version of Photoshop the color picker doesnt work (even after the update).

2.) I can launch Photoshop Beta only from within the Creative Cloud app successfully, and the color picker works fine in beta (on exactly the same identical document). 

3.) When I launch Photoshop Beta normally from desktop windows link, I get a "The code execution cannot procceed because boost_threads.dll was not found .Reninstalling the progam may fix this problem". 

I reinstalled beta, but it did not fix the issue. 

I have to add, that all these problems occured only after the major PS update.

I installed all the latest versions (as of today). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines