• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop crashes and freezes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever I try, which ever update I try, the latest PS will only start up with a beach ball and that ever since version 22.x

On a MBA 2020 Big Sur 11.4 I7 16GB

What I tried:

- deleted preferences

- uninstalled and reinstalled

- reverted to version 21.X well that worked but updating results in the same crash.

What to do next?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021

Hi all,

We're sorry for the crash issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article and try the first 6 simple steps that can help you resolve most of the crash and freeze issues with Photoshop:  Troubleshoot crash or freeze | Photoshop

If that doesn't help then, take a look at the other troubleshooting tips section.

Let us know your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Sep 24, 2021 Sep 24, 2021

I have students who are running into the same problems.

Does anyone know where I can find this script to run on a Windows PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 332 Replies 332
Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue since before the Christmas Break. I am running a Mac Pro and had no issues till the update.

I have checked my fonts and they are all good.

I was told Camera Raw update is affecting it but I can't uninstall this or update it so not sure what to do.

Currently, Photoshop cant be used on my Mac.

Please Help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this exact issue for 3 weeks, and the only thing that helped was removing the Photoshop Settings Folder and Resetting Photoshop's Cache.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop.html#photoshopfontcache

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop making excuses about corrupt fonts, thats complete BS! This many users are not going to have a corrupt font!
How about back off on trying to add more bells and whistles, and create a program that WORKS!
It is inexcusible for the price you are charging people for Creative Suite, for this to be happening!
My Photoshop is completely UNUSABLE right now and i can't get ANY help from your so-called tech support!
Here is a crazy idea, MAKE SURE THE  SOFTWARE WORKS BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using P'shop 22.3.1 for some weeks with no problems. Today, it crashes when I try to start it. I've gone through several fixes offered by Adobe's support pages with no joy. Creative Cloud says it's up to date. Any suggestions?

--Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. I did uninstall Photoshop, twice; the second time, I chose not to save anything. I reinstalled from the Creative Cloud window. CC thinks the app is ready to go. But when I try to start it (either from CC or by double-clicking the Photoshop icon in my Applications folder), the icon flashed once, but nothing happens. Anyone else having trouble with this version?

--Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Keith,

Did you use the Adobe CC Cleaner when reinstalling?
https://helpx.adobe.com/au/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet: that appears somewhat drastic, and not for the faint of heart. But I'm to the point where that's my next step. I'll let you know if it works. Wish me luck!

--Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thanks for the suggestion!

--K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used CC Cleaner; no help. But thanks for the tip!

--Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem.

Just updated to 22.3.1 and now it won't open. Crashes at the splash screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JamesK, do you actually get a splash screen?! I don't even get that far; I never see any response except for the very brief, tiny flash of the icon.

--Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue here. I've been dealing with this ALL day and am pulling hair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing on two different macs today. the icon bounces and then the crash report opens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop since the 90s with no problems. It now crashes. Why? I open simple everyday JPEG and instant crash. The only thing that appears to be fixing it is a full macOS restart. It's 2021. There's no excuse for this occuring. Is there an app conflict? I haven't installed anything else that would affect PS since the previous to last version, which worked smoothly AS EXPECTED... from decades of using Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, I should add, just so Adobe has more information taht may help fix this crash on startup, file opening issue... that Affinity Photo opens the same JPG image with no problems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it does, doesn't it? I had bought Affinity Photo some weeks ago, and find it has some nice features (like opening an image on the clipboard directly). As you say, it opened the file I needed quite nicely. But my Adobe subscription still has several months to run.  Whether I can get Photoshop to work will weigh in heavily on my decision at that point! 🙂

(Don't tell anyone...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried a full computer restart (mine's a fairly recent iMac running Catalina). That didn't help. 🙂

--Keith

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling, various versions, and it doesn't matter. I have to fresh reboot before starting photoshop, once open it will run fine, until it crashes or you have to quit. In order to open the app again I have to restart my system. This is very inconvienient as I need to work in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop and can only have 2 of the 3 open at once or InDesign crashes!

Mac OS X 10.15.7

Anyone had issues on Big Sur??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the latest. I ran Creative Cloud Cleaner (I think correctly, though it's an involved process for someone at my level of proficiency), which uninstalled Photoshop altogether (is it supposed to do that?). I reinstalled a new copy of P'shop from Creative Cloud. When I try to open it (1) the "Verifying..." box pops up for a few seconds (I think I forgot to mention that earlier); (B) the app does not open; (iii) a crash log appears (I may have forgotten to mention that, too). I notice that one line on the crash log refers to a "sniffer" app as a problem item, and I remember that being mentioned in a similar forum thread for a similar problem yesterday, though in a Windows world (mine's an iMac), so that may mean something.

I guess I need to try to figure out how to notify Adobe Support/Help directly. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. I have uninstalled/innstalled, cleared preferences, re-booted, created a new administrator and tried to launch from there, and made sure the Accessibility is ticked off under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy. Still didn't work.

I tried installing an older version. I don't know exactly which older version you can get away with, but v.21.2.7. (the oldest) works on my machine now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue here. App crashes immediately and won't open. I have decided to use the previous version till Adobe addresses the issue. It must be widespread. Hopefully they will have a fix for those of us who rely on using it as a tool to make our livings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat here with version 22.3.1 on an iMac running OS 10.15.7. I get an immediate crash window (and no suggestions for fixes), or an endless "verifying" alert. I did an uninstall through Creative Cloud and reinstall. That helped for one session. Anyone got new ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now done the arduous task of installing/uninstalling every older version available, and it seems all of the 22 versions (PhShop 2021) are crashers.
The only one that works is v.21.2.7. (PhShop 2020).  I would install this one asap before it's off the shelf.
The good thing about it is that you can still muck around with the v.22's as they are a full new version and can be installed side by side with the v.21's. In other words you Photoshop 2020 v.21.2.7. will not be uninstalled if you install any versions of Photohop 2021 v.22.x.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, here's the latest, and the problem's solved. I got hooked up with a support tech. She quickly determined that my macOS (Catalina, 10.15.7) had problems getting Photoshop 22.3.1 up and running. I think Creative Cloud may have updated my P'shop a couple days ago: I don't keep track of that very well.

Solution? As one person recommended, go back to a previous version. Go to the Creative Cloud app. Go to Photoshop's 3 dots at far right. Click on "Other versions," and choose 21.2.7. The tech told me if I wanted to use the later versions of P'shop, I'd need to upgrade to Big Sur. OK, I guess it's time (I always wait a while before a major system upgrade).

This worked fairly fast and effectively; thanks, Adobe Support!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded to Big Sur and it still crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines