Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Photoshop crashes and freezes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever I try, which ever update I try, the latest PS will only start up with a beach ball and that ever since version 22.x

On a MBA 2020 Big Sur 11.4 I7 16GB

What I tried:

- deleted preferences

- uninstalled and reinstalled

- reverted to version 21.X well that worked but updating results in the same crash.

What to do next?

{Thread title edited by moderator}

TOPICS
macOS, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 23, 2021 Jul 23, 2021
Hi all,   We're sorry for the crash issue. Take a look at the following troubleshooting article and try the first 6 simple steps that can help you resolve most of the crash and freeze issues with Photoshop:  Troubleshoot crash or freeze | Photoshop   If that doesn't help then, take a look at the other troubleshooting tips section.   Let us know your feedback.   Thanks, Mohit

Translate

Translate
replies 321 Replies 321
Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not yet: that appears somewhat drastic, and not for the faint of heart. But I'm to the point where that's my next step. I'll let you know if it works. Wish me luck!

--Keith

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thanks for the suggestion!

--K.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used CC Cleaner; no help. But thanks for the tip!

--Keith

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem.

Just updated to 22.3.1 and now it won't open. Crashes at the splash screen. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JamesK, do you actually get a splash screen?! I don't even get that far; I never see any response except for the very brief, tiny flash of the icon.

--Keith

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same exact issue here. I've been dealing with this ALL day and am pulling hair.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing on two different macs today. the icon bounces and then the crash report opens.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop since the 90s with no problems. It now crashes. Why? I open simple everyday JPEG and instant crash. The only thing that appears to be fixing it is a full macOS restart. It's 2021. There's no excuse for this occuring. Is there an app conflict? I haven't installed anything else that would affect PS since the previous to last version, which worked smoothly AS EXPECTED... from decades of using Photoshop.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, I should add, just so Adobe has more information taht may help fix this crash on startup, file opening issue... that Affinity Photo opens the same JPG image with no problems...

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it does, doesn't it? I had bought Affinity Photo some weeks ago, and find it has some nice features (like opening an image on the clipboard directly). As you say, it opened the file I needed quite nicely. But my Adobe subscription still has several months to run.  Whether I can get Photoshop to work will weigh in heavily on my decision at that point! 🙂

(Don't tell anyone...)

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried a full computer restart (mine's a fairly recent iMac running Catalina). That didn't help. 🙂

--Keith

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same! I have even tried uninstalling and reinstalling, various versions, and it doesn't matter. I have to fresh reboot before starting photoshop, once open it will run fine, until it crashes or you have to quit. In order to open the app again I have to restart my system. This is very inconvienient as I need to work in InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop and can only have 2 of the 3 open at once or InDesign crashes!

Mac OS X 10.15.7

Anyone had issues on Big Sur??

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the latest. I ran Creative Cloud Cleaner (I think correctly, though it's an involved process for someone at my level of proficiency), which uninstalled Photoshop altogether (is it supposed to do that?). I reinstalled a new copy of P'shop from Creative Cloud. When I try to open it (1) the "Verifying..." box pops up for a few seconds (I think I forgot to mention that earlier); (B) the app does not open; (iii) a crash log appears (I may have forgotten to mention that, too). I notice that one line on the crash log refers to a "sniffer" app as a problem item, and I remember that being mentioned in a similar forum thread for a similar problem yesterday, though in a Windows world (mine's an iMac), so that may mean something.

I guess I need to try to figure out how to notify Adobe Support/Help directly. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. I have uninstalled/innstalled, cleared preferences, re-booted, created a new administrator and tried to launch from there, and made sure the Accessibility is ticked off under System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy. Still didn't work.

I tried installing an older version. I don't know exactly which older version you can get away with, but v.21.2.7. (the oldest) works on my machine now. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue here. App crashes immediately and won't open. I have decided to use the previous version till Adobe addresses the issue. It must be widespread. Hopefully they will have a fix for those of us who rely on using it as a tool to make our livings.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat here with version 22.3.1 on an iMac running OS 10.15.7. I get an immediate crash window (and no suggestions for fixes), or an endless "verifying" alert. I did an uninstall through Creative Cloud and reinstall. That helped for one session. Anyone got new ideas?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have now done the arduous task of installing/uninstalling every older version available, and it seems all of the 22 versions (PhShop 2021) are crashers.
The only one that works is v.21.2.7. (PhShop 2020).  I would install this one asap before it's off the shelf.
The good thing about it is that you can still muck around with the v.22's as they are a full new version and can be installed side by side with the v.21's. In other words you Photoshop 2020 v.21.2.7. will not be uninstalled if you install any versions of Photohop 2021 v.22.x.x.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, here's the latest, and the problem's solved. I got hooked up with a support tech. She quickly determined that my macOS (Catalina, 10.15.7) had problems getting Photoshop 22.3.1 up and running. I think Creative Cloud may have updated my P'shop a couple days ago: I don't keep track of that very well.

Solution? As one person recommended, go back to a previous version. Go to the Creative Cloud app. Go to Photoshop's 3 dots at far right. Click on "Other versions," and choose 21.2.7. The tech told me if I wanted to use the later versions of P'shop, I'd need to upgrade to Big Sur. OK, I guess it's time (I always wait a while before a major system upgrade).

This worked fairly fast and effectively; thanks, Adobe Support!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have upgraded to Big Sur and it still crashes.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues, even when I install an older version.  

I've happened upon another forum that indicates it could be a 4 year or older GPU ???  Mine expired 4/30/2021 and that's when my problems started.  

Anyone else find this possible lead as the real issue and we have to update our GPU card?? 

I'm fuming if I have to upgrade a decent computer with yet another updated GPU card.  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 22.x Versions of Photoshop worked well on my iMac i5 2019 with Catalina. But lately (I can’t say exactly when it started, but it might be with 22.2 or 22.3) Photoshop began to crash at startup. Usually with this:

Crashed Thread: 10 GPU Sniffer Launcher

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000004e0
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [1649]

So "GPU Sniffer Launcher" seems to be the problem...

Restarting the Mac could help (for the day) but since I upgraded to 22.4 Photoshop does not start at all. And even worse: none of the 22.x versions seem to work anymore - even the ones, that worked before...

One more thing: our 2018 Mac mini runs 22.3 with Catalina just fine... Same on my private MacBookPro from 2012, so an outdated GPU can’t be the reason.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop crashes right after (less thatn a second) the open command.

Started after the last OSX security update. Tried to reinstall the PS already with cleaning all the prefs with the App Cleaner.

Process: Adobe Photoshop 2021 [4057]
Path: /Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2021/Adobe Photoshop 2021.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Photoshop 2021
Identifier: com.adobe.Photoshop
Version: 22.3.1 (22.3.1)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Adobe Photoshop 2021 [4057]
User ID: 502

Date/Time: 2021-04-27 15:46:52.493 +0200
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.15.7 (19H1030)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 9B5E7092-7B20-E280-448F-3794315AED5C

Time Awake Since Boot: 8300 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 12 GPU Sniffer Launcher

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000000004e0
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [4057]

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2021 Apr 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact same issue. Also for some reason this issue is causing me to have problems with other programs. I will be using Autodesk 3DS Studio Max for my next class and I've noticed that ever since the issues started with photoshop my 3ds max program started crashing as well. I do not know if the two are related, but they started at the exact same time. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solved. The solution was restart. I didn't try that earlier because it happend right after an earlier restart, that was part of some OSX security update.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had same issue. Loggen out. Restarted. All was fine.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines