• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 Clipboard Issue (Win 7)

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2010 Sep 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a copy of PS CS5 installed and i can only paste an image that i copied from before the program was started. When Ps is already started and I copy an image and try to paste it in PS it will paste the image I copied before I started the program not the one I just copied...

It's a pretty annoying situation... not being able to copy and paste once the program is running. I have to shut it down, start it up again to paste the image I want...

Anybody a solution?

I work on: Win 7 ultimate 64 bit - i7 - 8 gigs ram

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 16, 2010 Oct 16, 2010

i had exactly the same issue with clipboard in PS CS5 described by David Dobish above. I solved it by removing Selective Tool (64 bit) Pluging from NIK SOFTWARE. Now clipboard works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 305 Replies 305
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's helpful at all, here are lists of the actual files installed by Adobe in the Photoshop area in a new Photoshop CS5 installation, and what they look like after having been updated to 12.0.3...

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/OriginalPSCS5Files.zip

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/UpdatedPSCS51203Files.zip

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2011 May 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been pulling my hair out on this one for a long, long time.  Very aggravating.  Slows productivity down tremendously.

I moved Viveza 2 (by Nik Software) out of my plugins folder.

Now, finally, clipboard pasting seems to work OK in Photoshop CS5 64-bit.

At least so far.

I guess I need to move Viveza back into my plugins folder when I need to use it.

Pain in the butt!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 21, 2011 May 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The NIK configuation file for the Selective Tool (post 88) worked for me with NIKs Color Efex Pro 3 for several weeks as I mentioned in posts 118 and 157. Then I installed NIK Silver Efex Pro 2, which caused the clipboard paste problem all over again. I contacted NIK, who assured me that SEP2 did work under Win7/64, and sent me another cfg file to copy to the Selective Tool folder. SEP2 worked OK for a few days, then the ciipboard paste problem came back. I uninstalled SEP2, and the clipboard worked OK with NIK CEP3 still installed.

Now the clipboard problem is back again with no changes to the system except for a rash of Win7 updates in the meantime. I'm waiting for a response from NIK who still assure me that SEP2 does work with Win7/64. Maybe I'll only connect one machine to the internet and stop getting Win updates on the other if things ever work right again...

It seems to me nothing gets fixed until there's a threat to the bottom line... Clearly this problem has no effect whatsoever on Win7/64 sales, and probably virtually none on CS5. Well, maybe it's momentarily positive for Adobe -- I use PSE9 which is 32bit to run the NIK software when I need it. Maybe some other folks are doing this too. Of course there's the PIA message that I have PSE installed on more than two computers. I only use two computers for goodness sake -- unfortunately I have had a couple of HD problems lately, and so now I need to call PSE9 support yet again.

Anyway NIK is the place to complain, because they realize the pinch on sales may be actually be felt when word of mouth gets out about this problem -- and once out, it takes a long time to recover when customers figure out how to do things differently...

Message was edited by: gbriney - grammatical errors corrected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows Updates are virtually always a good thing.  It's not a reasonable strategy to block Windows Updates.  You have thousands of people at Microsoft working to improve the software you have already purchased, and believe me they put a LOT of effort into making sure it doesn't break things unexpectedly.

I suspect you have a latent problem on your system having to do with clipboard access, that came up coincidentally.  Most folks don't see it.  I have not had a single problem with the clipboard myself, having never installed any Nik software, but I keep 100% up to date with Windows updates.

Have you ferreted out all the files Nik installed into Photoshop?  You may need to compare file lists and modification dates to do this.

If it can help, here's a list of the files normally installed by Adobe:

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/Photoshop_CS5_Standard_Installation_Files.zip

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought it was apparent that I was being facetious about the Win updates, hence the wink smiley -- but hey I wouldn't want to mislead anyone to do something that's not in their best interest.

Since you haven't had any problems, and would like to help, how about installing the free NIK Silver demo on your system, and let us know what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I misinterpreted that, but the wink smiley wasn't quite enough to know you weren't serious.  A lot of people think it IS a good idea to cut their systems off from Internet access and updates.

I assume you're talking about Nik Software's "Silver Efex Pro 2", right?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I've downloaded the trial version of the Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 plug-in on a very clean virtual machine running Windows 7 x64, which I use for testing.

Test 1:  Try running Photoshop CS5.1 prior to installing the Nik plug-in.

• I copied several images both large and small from another application (IrfanView)
  • I was able to successfully paste them into a document in Photoshop.

Test 2:  Installed Nik Silver Efex Pro 2

• Noted an extension panel when Photoshop was first started.
  • Copied several images, both large and small from IrfanView.
  • Was able to paste them into documents in Photoshop.
  • Ran the Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 plug-in, got the trial dialog.
  • When the Silver Efex Pro 2 dialog came up, the display was corrupted.  Wasn't able to do anything but close the dialog.
  • Was able to copy and paste more images into Photoshop.
  • Ran the Silver Efex Pro 2 plug-in again, saw a corrupted dialog again.
  • Tried hitting Return in the hopes it would take it as OK.  It did and I got a new grayscale layer.
  • Was able to copy and paste successfully into Photoshop thereafter.

I don't appear to be seeing an issue with the clipboard here with this system, though Silver Efex Pro 2 itself isn't working properly.

I'm guessing the Silver Efex Pro 2 plug-in just isn't compatible with the OpenGL driver VMware provides, but I'm not about to install this turkey of a plug-in on my main workstation.  It looks as though it gets pretty intimate with Photoshop, by the appearance of the extension panel, and also by the fact that it created a new layer - something a filter plug-in is not legally able to do.

I made a note of the files before and after the install.  These are the ones the Nik installer added:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\Plug-ins\Nik Software\Selective Tool\Dfine2.config
c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\Plug-ins\Nik Software\Selective Tool\SelectivePalette.8li
c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\Plug-ins\Nik Software\Silver Efex Pro 2\Silver Efex Pro 2.8bf.lnk
c:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1\Plug-ins\Nik Software\Silver Efex Pro 2\SilverEfexPro2.config

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Nik Software\Selective Tool\Dfine2.config
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Nik Software\Selective Tool\SelectivePalette.8li
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Nik Software\Silver Efex Pro 2\Silver Efex Pro 2.8bf.lnk
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Nik Software\Silver Efex Pro 2\SilverEfexPro2.config

Anything else in particular you'd like me to test?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

Thanks for doing the quick test and sharing the results -- you're a prince. For what it's worth, the 32-bit NIK applications seem to have many dedicated fans who appreciate having a new layer created labeled with the filter used -- I don't have a dog in that fight being new to SEP2.

I think it would be great if you could leave NIK SEP2 installed for a while, because the problem doesn't always show up immediately. I strongly suspect that the clipboard issue is much more likely to happen when CS5 (and the OS) are stressed by CS5 with many large files open, after being open for many hours, and with many other windows open competing for memory.

I realize the OS contribution may make it arguable about where responsibility lies, but my feeling is that applications getting low on resources should give an explicit warning rather than just becoming erratic and eventually crashing. Graceful decline to allow saving work is always better IMO.

Best regards,

Gary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep that's the one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2011 May 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update.

I just got an entirely new machine. Again Windows 7, 64 Photoshop and 12 GB of RAM. The only difference. This is photoshop 5.5 and a clean install (No new plugins added). And yes. The clipboard issue is back. Renaming the Plug-ins folder and renaming it back will help, but this time it will not last.After a few restarts you need to the trick again. I've read a bit on since last time, but the plugins mentioned and solutions were 3rd party plugins, right? I suspect there's at least one factory plugin causing the same problem, that gets resolved by fixing the 3rd party plugin. I'm quite convinced it's a factory plugin, since renaming the plugin folder will make the clipboard work. If so. I'm planning to rename my subfolders sequentally and log on what Plugin subdirectory the issue gets fixed and narrow down from there to pinpoint the "bad" one. Has someone got a clue which factory plugin might be causing it? If so I'll start there.

Cheers,

Yves

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And yet the problem doesn't happen for everyone - so the default plugins aren't a likely cause.

There might be some other factor involved (system locale, drive or folder names, who knows).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me, this is now more probably a RAM problem. When you can't paste in Photoshop, try to paste it in an other application. If you can, this is Photoshop. If you can't or the image is altered (for example, in two colors), this is your system. When you can't, try a smaller selection.

Personally, I've encounter years ago problems with Photoshop not pasting while other application still did.

Actually, when I snapshot my entire double screen, I'm can't always paste, whatever the application, but I can still copy-paste small windows.

People should test further and try to paste there "clipboarded" image somewhere else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're coming into this a little late -- several months in fact, look at the preceding 4 pages or so of comments. The obvious stuff was done long ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already posted in this forum: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3204129#3204129

You're just a troll.

...And I won't feed you more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry I don't go in for name calling...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite clear that 3rd party plugins can break the normal clipboard function, and removing it (them) will restore normal function if it was normal before. However, fixing the 3rd party plugin doesn't guarantee normal function will last. So I'm sure it's correct to say there are multiple ways for the external clipboard paste function to fail. There are so many variations on the problem that it's necessary to characterize experience with lots of qualification, because it may change tomorrow.

Internally, that is within CS5, the clipboard continues to function as always (in my experience to date) -- the connection to external applications which put images on the clipboard is lost. I believe that text may still be copied to CS5, but I'm not sure if that's always true, and even if it is, it's of little value to the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I narrowed down the problem on my machine to the Viveza 2 plugin from Nik.

Nik sent me a "SelToolInst.cfg" file, (one for Win, one for Mac)

Instructions were to replace the .cfg file in a certain folder.

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CS5\Plug-Ins\Nik Software\Selective Tool

My folder of that name did not have this file, but I put the new one in there anyway.

Seems to have solved the problem for me, so far.

But judging by some of the comments in this thread, it could recur any time.

Sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I run PS CS5 in Windows 7 x64 and (in a laptop) in Win 7 x32.

My problem isn't pasting into Photoshop CS5, but copying and pasting from CS5 into other programs. I can paste into CS5, but can't copy/paste from it, except by using a third-party screenshot app. (True in CS5 x64 and x32, in both machines.)

I have worked through each of the relevant fixes suggested in this thread and its companion thread, 'Clipboard still not working? Darn you'.  I've disabled plug-ins (though I don't have any Nik plug-ins, and only 1 third-party plug-in: Mask Pro 4). I run CS5 as an Administrator. I've added AlwaysImportClipboard to the Registry as a Qword and a Dword. I've unloaded /disabled all possible startup apps.

I've used Photoshop since v.7, and never had this problem before, though I understand from the posts that others have had it in earlier PS versions.

I can copy and paste to/from the same files, if I open them in any other graphics app, from MS Paint to Acrobat to Omnipage.  If it's a Windows problem, not a Photoshop problem, I find it strange that it only happens in Photoshop--and for me, at least, only in CS5. I formerly used CS4 on my current computers, with all other apps/startups the same as they are now, and I could copy and paste freely.

In the posts to date I haven't seen any info about Microsoft's response (if any) about the problem. Is there one?

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop, go into Edit - Preferences - General.

Do you have [ ] Export Clipboard checked?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel

Aha! No I didn't, but I do now. Can't imagine how it got turned off!

Many thanks for your spot-on help -

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2011 Sep 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and I'm totally aggravated. My PS install is totally vanilla and it's 32 bit. All I can do is save the file and then open it in PS, copy it, and then paste it.

Totally aggravating and I don't see any good solutions here.

My clipboard is working fine outside of PS (or at least out of Adobe CS), so I can paste away into every other app.

I can copy/paste from Adobe to Adobe...but not from anything else (Word, Web, screenshots) to PS.

Help??

I tried the registry hack and it worked for a short while but it stopped working almost immediately. It's hard for me to believe this is a Microsoft problem when every other app is respecting my clipboard, but for those made by Adobe.

I don't have NIK or any other third party plugins installed.

Copy/Paste is a critical function. And from what I've seen online, this problem has been floating around since 2009. Sucks that there aren't any reasonable competitors and I'm stuck with broken software or need to keep spinning my wheels to try to make it go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've also seen external applications (JDownloader) cause problems with copy/paste operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a pretty vanilla, work machine. My only suspicion right now, is Windows own built in screen "snipping" tool.

Chris, it seems pretty egregious that this has been going on for years and that Adobe doesn't have a handle on it. Every other app I use can access the clipboard appropriately except PS. I don't understand why this isn't a P1 bug for Adobe to figure out and fix.

It is possible the registry hack has worked for me, but I don't think I should have to change my registry to support PS behaving badly. I can't accept that this is Microsoft's fault when the other apps all work fine.

FYI: for me, restarting PS makes no difference. I have to reboot my whole machine. I don't think it's a memory problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've investigated, and found third party conflicts,  one Windows OS bug that we can't avoid (and MS thinks they fixed in Win7), and nothing else. Photoshop is using standard OS clipboard calls, and even double checking some of them due to other OS bugs (which should be fixed in Vista and later).

If you have to reboot the machine, you're looking at an OS bug, or a bug in some other software.

Photoshop doesn't have any persistent state for the clipboard between launches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I found a solution to workaround this issue, if you have Nik Software installed, just disable the auto lunch palette tool when PS start.

windows 7 x64, master collection cs5.5

Sorry for my bad english

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines