Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 382 Replies 382
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the update fix everyone's issues? I'm still having freezes. Ironically I had cleaned up my fonts before the update and it seemed to be running better. Then when I updated the freezes returned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2010 Jul 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A friendly Adobe employee helped me with this solution. Did you try this yet?

Delete these folders in red /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/TypeSupport/
(for CS4, it's /Library/Caches/Adobe/TypeSupport/)

And

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/TypeSupport/CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2010 Jul 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good day everyone, I have just recently found that I have a bad graphics card. Bad in that it will work but when it is heavly taxed I think  that it is what is causing my freeze up.

As I have explained to everyone I am lucky that I have more then one PC with the same parts so I just swapped the two graphic cards. I am not 100% about this yet because I have not had the chance to fully test it with Photoshop CS4 or CS5 with a very large fills for several hours but I went from a PC freeze up every 20 or 30 minutes too useing Photoshop CS5 (64 bit) for several hours before turning in for the evening.

Another reason for my otimistic outlook is that with the card, that I think was bad, you could actually hear the card making a whooshing sound when I would zoom-in and the PC would freeze up less frequently when I would turn off the (open GL).

I first noticed the whooshing sound the first time I turned on the (open GL) and had thought that this was the sound of Photoshop directly taxing the graphics processor. (I love my imagination) it is very creative! 

I will report back to confirm one way or another. I hope you find the answer to your problem it is so upsetting to the creative processes to have to deal with this kind of thing but it is in our challenges' that we define our true character.

I am sure it was Chris that said that freeze ups and crashes are caused by hardware and I believe that this is correct but you have to be very careful at what and how you define your problem my Problem was that the PC would not respond (at all) through any human interface device Keyboard, Mouse, Pen-tablet, this would leave me no option other then a forced shut down through the PC-tower (power button)

pobox119 signing off   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still freezing.  Nothing suggested has helped, and the recently released update didn't fix it.

I'm still using CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me add though that it is working better-- but still has freezing issues.  It freezes less frequently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to report that it is not the graphics card. Even though the the replacement gaaphics card is quieter the same freeze up has returned this speaks to the randomness of the freeze ups I worked in Photoshop CS4 for a couple of hours after i swapped the graphics card and the next day I was sure that the problem was addressed but yesterday the PC went right bask to freezing up every 15 or 20 minutes.

Some one was good enough to give  an Adobe website that gives one a step by step process for diagnosing freeze ups and I have been going through that agonizing procedure but so far it has revealed no incites, if I find something I will let everyone Know.

But hear lies the real problem I thought that i had foud the answer to the freeze up problem, only to find out a day and a half later that I had found nothing.

with this occurring randomly, it will take  a week or more of teasting after each perceived fix to be sure that I have truly found the real culprit.

As a case in point I tried working with the 64 bit Quad core 8gig CS5 system after trying some of the changes in the performence settings that was suggested on the website for freeze ups and I worked for almost four hours with a large file with mutable layers, paths, and channels but then i was simpley painting a small area with a 20 pixel brush and it froze up.

I do think that we will not get a lot of attention until there are a lot more of us. the mac people did wave a problem that was not exactly the same but I read all of the posts and although ther problem  was centered around the fonts, it goes to show that there is a definiet issue there and the post states that they have solved that problem bbut how was it solved there are mac people now coming to this post because they have tried all the supposed fixes and they  still have the problem.

having said that I do not want my money back I want a usable application and of course I want it soon before I hert myself physically and finanicially beating  this PC into submission with a sledge hammer    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep reading.

There are 2 known issues causing freezes now: a bug in Apple's font code (which can also crash), and bugs in Apple's 10.6.4 NVidia graphics drivers (which can also crash).  Both are waiting for fixes from Apple.

Beyond that, nobody has produced steps or evidence of another freezing issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris I have a curious problem.  As per your suggestion I turned off Open GL and Photoshop behaved for about 2 months, no freezes, type tool worked fine etc.  Now just 2 days ago the problems have come back and Open GL is still off.  I have added nothing to the computer.  But now when I type it takes several moments for type to appear, (even in the Save dialog box!)  the program freezes at random times, etc. it has become almost unusable again waiting for the spinning beach ball.  Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 21, 2010 Aug 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions?

Have you repaired permissions?

Cleaned or deleted caches? With the latest versions of OSX this seems to be a constant reoccurring requirement.

Doyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 23, 2010 Aug 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lkemper - try disabling third party plugins (FontAgentPro, in particular is known to cause similar problems).

And try troubleshooting your fonts (which cause similar problems, due to an OS bug).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in 10.5.8  I don't have FontAgentPro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I repaired permissions and it seems to be working

today!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just chiming in....I've had the occasional freeze here and there, usually not worth much more than an eyeroll and re-launch, but now I have something consistent.

I have a reasonably large (2770x1957) jpg (1.7 MB) that needs some touching up--specifically, cloning.  When I use the stamp tool, it works for a few seconds and then Photoshop freezes.  Consistently and always with this image.  I don't use the Stamp very often so this may be the first time I've used the tool since upgrading to CS5.  It freezes whether I (1) clone-and-stamp to the same layer as the original (background layer of the original jpg); (2) create a new layer, save as psd, and clone to the new layer; or (3) copy the contents of the original jpg into a new document, create a new layer, and try to clone to that.  First time it happened, I had a number of other documents open totaling several hundred MB.  Subsequent attempts to work on the image, even if it's the only document open, have all produced the same results.  Used my old installation of CS3 instead and it worked fine.

On a possibly-related note, preferences related to PS CS5 seem to be disappearing.  Over the past couple I noticed dialogs appearing that I've already told not to appear anymore (something to the effect of "you have too many layers/layer groups; this file may not be readable to older versions of Photoshop").  And the PS icon disappeared from the Dock for the second time this week.

Mysterious, indeed.

OS 10.6.4; 2x3GHz Dual-core, 24 GB RAM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thewocky wrote:

Just chiming in....I've had the occasional freeze here and there, usually not worth much more than an eyeroll and re-launch, but now I have something consistent.

I have a reasonably large (2770x1957) jpg (1.7 MB) that needs some touching up--specifically, cloning.  When I use the stamp tool, it works for a few seconds and then Photoshop freezes.  Consistently and always with this image.  I don't use the Stamp very often so this may be the first time I've used the tool since upgrading to CS5.  It freezes whether I (1) clone-and-stamp to the same layer as the original (background layer of the original jpg); (2) create a new layer, save as psd, and clone to the new layer; or (3) copy the contents of the original jpg into a new document, create a new layer, and try to clone to that.  First time it happened, I had a number of other documents open totaling several hundred MB.  Subsequent attempts to work on the image, even if it's the only document open, have all produced the same results.  Used my old installation of CS3 instead and it worked fine.

On a possibly-related note, preferences related to PS CS5 seem to be disappearing.  Over the past couple I noticed dialogs appearing that I've already told not to appear anymore (something to the effect of "you have too many layers/layer groups; this file may not be readable to older versions of Photoshop").  And the PS icon disappeared from the Dock for the second time this week.

Mysterious, indeed.

OS 10.6.4; 2x3GHz Dual-core, 24 GB RAM.

hi,

the dialog prefs (and actually loads of photoshop bits including saved actions and brushes!) are only saved on quit, so if photoshop or your mac crashes these changes are lost (to repeat, this includes any new brush presets or newly created actions- madness!)

so i guess you might have a corrupted PS pref file you'll have to dump, or a disk error (never hurts to run disk verify on your hdd if you've had a forced reboot)

(2770x1957) ain't that big btw, PS should be able to east that for breakfast i guess there's a small chance it's a bad memory stick that's only giving you trouble if you don't usually stress PS that hard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

! word.jpg2 WORD.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you posting images of text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why's he asking for the specs of the machines in a mac support forum, when he's trying to troubleshoot a windows pc's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe photoshop is the only thing on his pc with spellcheck?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2010 Jul 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the future know that I will not respond to anything that is not on the subject if you come here to play then you do not have trouble with photoshop.

or at least you can not be taken seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 24, 2010 Jul 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pobox119 wrote:

In the future know that I will not respond to anything that is not on the subject if you come here to play then you do not have trouble with photoshop.

or at least you can not be taken seriously.

hi pobox119

i absolutely meant no offence to you, i was trying to make two points in a playful way.

firstly, if you post an image of text, instead of real text, then the forum search engine can't index your message. so anything useful or helpful you post will never turn up in a search.

secondly, simply put, it's rare for macs and PC's to share the same bugs . by mixing posts about different systems it makes it much harder for someone with a problem to search the forums for a quick solution for their rig.

the good people in the PC side of the forum are MUCH more likely to be able to help you with your windows7 problems, and i genuinely hope they can. i know how miserable it can be trying to get everything running smoothly- good luck, and best wishes!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2010 Jul 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First of all I don't want to hear from anyone if my spelling is wrong or if I don't give all the info on what machine I am running or anything else that isn't of great importance; I'm not in the mood!!!!

I was using  PS5 for about a month without any problems; prior to that the beta version without any problems, Photoshop is now freezing every time I try to open it. I also upgraded to Safari 5 when it was released and Safari is freezing now. I don't know the connection; don't know how to unravel the two problems.

I unchecked 32mode in Photoshop and in Safari; now the opening window for PS says ver.12 x 64 but is completely freezing after booting up and I have to force quit it.

I have double checked my 3rd part plugins; made sure they were compatible, deleted anything I wasn't sure about.

I also upgraded to Lightroom 3 without any problems.

Since Safari isn't an Adobe product, I don't know if I can get answers on that here but it's strange that they are both freezing.

Thanks for any help and I will add anything if it would help isolate the problem.

Macbook Pro 17" Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 ghz 3 gb ram   NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT [can't find upgrade drivers for this for Mac] - Snow Leopard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't hit me- but you don't mention the version of snow leopard

if it's 10.6.4 (you can check by choosing about this mac from the apple menu top left) it may be the graphics driver issue.

after a crash, open the console (applications/utilities) and look for errors in "all messages" if there's a list of stuff containing "opengl" then that's definite.

right now the only solution is to use the drivers in 10.6.3. if you aren't sure how to do this manually then you're safer reinstalling snowleopard from the dvd then running the 10.6.3 update from apple's site, but not upgrading to 10.6.4 untill the issue is fixed (turn off auto updates!)

freezing on start might be a bad pref file. start photoshop holding down Command+Option+Shift and follow the prompts

if all else fails reinstall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nicole anjolie wrote:

First of all I don't want to hear from anyone if my spelling is wrong or if I don't give all the info on what machine I am running or anything else that isn't of great importance; I'm not in the mood!!!!

You're taking all the fun out of it!

You won't like this I would say you don't have the resources to run 64 bit all three of those applications I believe are 64 bi they draw a lot of memory
for one and so does a corrupt font cache and I would say you have a corrupt font cache and or a corrupt font as well.

I believe Onyx will help you clear the cache.

But I do believe your resources are to limited.

For instance Photoshop Extended CS5 minimum Memory 1 GB Lightroom 3 2GB  there is your memory pushed up against the wall even before Safari
and Snow Leopard which is 1 GB.

So you might be able to run the applications with less resources if you have a corrupt cache or font that will be a deal breaker as you are experiencing, you might not be able to upgrade your system you might add the remaining amount of RAM so you have 4GB which will give you a fighting chance.

I hope this helped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW what do you use for a scratch disk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 26, 2010 Jul 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 750gig, SATA drive that is partitioned into two logical drives, neither one of the partitions is used for the operating system.

The drive is a Segate Barracuda with 32 MB of buffered memory. it is used only for the scratch disk and nothing other then the scratch disk.

I had been useing the C drive the same drive that has the operating system but this issue has been put out there by others so I changed it to this empty drive about 4 too 6 days ago and like everything else that I tried I thought it helped until it froze up again.

This is the main problem in trying to diagnose this problem every time you do something you are happy to think you may of solved your problem only to find out that you were just dreaming and wishing and hoping

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines