Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 382 Replies 382
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2010 Sep 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which file did you remove, Paul?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't remove anything. I just used Get Info to change the permissions to read and write for all files and all users in my library (in my user account).

Remember to apply it all enclosing files.

I think my issue was created after I restored my user from a Time Machine backup.

Paul.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I get it now. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2010 Sep 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have an iMac i7, quad core and just installed CS5 64bit a couple of weeks ago.  I am frequently getting the spinning lined circle icon (not sure what its called, the equivelent to a sand timer in windows I expect) it occurs when I am sketching, with just a couple of layers, and the effect is a program lock up - odd thing is that when the 'timer' thing is on, the pen is still reacting in that it draws a straight line from my initial touch to the release of the pen...wierd.  I get this on my Cintiq at work, a bit like there is a sticky shift option on (but its not)....

This is really annoying, because basically I loose anything I have done up to that point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Rich.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 28, 2010 Sep 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you install the 12.0.1 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2010 Sep 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Yes this happened before and after I installed the 12.01 update.

Thanks,

Rich

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with CS3 and interested in upgrading to CS5 I've downloaded, installed and updated the trial version of CS5. Nothing but freezes...

Tried everything Adobe has suggested...to no avail. Still getting random freezes of my whole system. Force quitting CS5 may take up to 20 - 30 minutes. Needless to say that this whole thing is completely unworkable. No other program is giving me any problems, non whatsoever.

What I find rather peculiar is the whole bad font story. I've had two, removed them...no joy. On the other hand CS3 is working just great, and in my opinion, has the same looks as CS5 regarding fonts. Different coding???

I hope Adobe gets this thing sorted out. Until that time I’ll keep from spending as much as 1 cent for CS5…unfortunately.

System is Mac Pro 1.1, 7 gig of memory, OS 10.5.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EBOWO wrote:

Working with CS3 and interested in upgrading to CS5 I've downloaded, installed and updated the trial version of CS5. Nothing but freezes...

Tried everything Adobe has suggested...to no avail. Still getting random freezes of my whole system. Force quitting CS5 may take up to 20 - 30 minutes. Needless to say that this whole thing is completely unworkable. No other program is giving me any problems, non whatsoever.

What I find rather peculiar is the whole bad font story. I've had two, removed them...no joy. On the other hand CS3 is working just great, and in my opinion, has the same looks as CS5 regarding fonts. Different coding???

I hope Adobe gets this thing sorted out. Until that time I’ll keep from spending as much as 1 cent for CS5…unfortunately.

System is Mac Pro 1.1, 7 gig of memory, OS 10.5.8.

I had EXACTLY the same problems. Only difference was I was running CS4. I went through all my fonts several times and even removed many, but no change.   I had tried EVERYTHING suggested and finally ran out of options. After being totally frustrated I backed up everything, upgraded OS to 10.6.4 and reinstalled everything. I reinstalled CS5 and ALL my previous fonts and FINALLY it is running smooth and fast. 

I am wondering if it has something to do with upgrading vs fresh install.  Good luck. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sambojo wrote:

I had EXACTLY the same problems. Only difference was I was running CS4. I went through all my fonts several times and even removed many, but no change.   I had tried EVERYTHING suggested and finally ran out of options. After being totally frustrated I backed up everything, upgraded OS to 10.6.4 and reinstalled everything. I reinstalled CS5 and ALL my previous fonts and FINALLY it is running smooth and fast.

I am wondering if it has something to do with upgrading vs fresh install.  Good luck. Hope this helps.

Thnx...although i hate the fuss of the whole process of reinstalling (or in my case upgrading) to 10.6.4.i guess it's worth a try.

Question: will Adobe let me run a second trial version (the 1st one runs out in a couple of days) after I've done teh reintsall thingy? Anyone???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ried everything Adobe has suggested...to no avail. Still getting random freezes of my whole system.

Photoshop 12.0.1 worked around an OS issue that could cause OS freezes.

Beyond that, whole system freezes are caused by problems in the OS, drivers, or hardware.

Applications by themselves can't hand the entire system.

Yes, CS5 is a Cocoa app, while CS3 was a Carbon app.  The Cocoa APIs in MacOS have different problems....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 30, 2010 Sep 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris wrote:

Photoshop 12.0.1 worked around an OS issue that could cause OS freezes.

Beyond that, whole system freezes are caused by problems in the OS, drivers, or hardware.

Applications by themselves can't hand the entire system.

First, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you're implying above. I've got CS5 version 12.0.1. running. You go on to say that whole system freezes are caused by OS, drivers or hardware. I'm no whizkid...but can you explain to me why the freezes i encounter are only apperent after starting up CS5 and using it? No other application on my system causes any problems...let alone freezes? Could CS5 be the only Cocoa app I'm running - or rather tryng to run - and thus the only app that causes problems???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like to add...I'm also running Lightroom 3 - an Alcoa app i believe - and it's running flawlessly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EBOWO wrote:

… Lightroom 3 - an Alcoa app i believe -…

Amusing typo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tai Lao wrote:

Amusing typo. 

Would be fair to say; 'regarding your assumption...you're completly right.'

For Alcoa read Cocoa...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Disregard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no whizkid...but can you explain to me why the freezes i encounter are only apperent after starting up CS5 and using it? No other application on my system causes any problems...let alone freezes?

If another application on your system used the same APIs, it would freeze just the same.

Photoshop frequently gets blamed for "only Photoshop causes this"... until the user finds the other apps that cause the same problem.

Since we know that applications cannot hang the system without an OS, driver, or hardware bug -- that does kind of rule out the application.  The application might call the OS code with a bug in it, but the application does not cause the bug.  (kind of like a car can drive on the road with a pothole in it, but does not cause the pothole)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a new 2011 Challenger.

http://dodge-challenger.org/images/2010-challenger-1.jpg

I put in a new Blaupunkt stereo.

http://www.itechnews.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/Blaupunkt-Melbourne-SD27-Car-Stereo.jpg

Every time I turn on the stereo the car sputters and stalls.

http://www.deserthell.com/Experts.jpg

I called Blaupunkt. They tell me it's a Dodge issue and the stereo is only bringing to light issues with the Dodge system.

http://www.australiabid.com.au/resources.ashx/MembersActions/64942.600.1000.0.0.80/AnswerFile/62288851BEEC5EBC3B63A1890DED803F/DSCF0040.JPG

7 Months later I still can't turn on the stereo without the car sputtering and stalling.

Now.. do I care if it's the fault of Dodge or the fault of Blaupunkt? Or do I care that I simply can't use what I've paid for?

Honestly, the Photoshop team should be embarrassed, if not ashamed, of the product they've released. And even more so that half a year later, it's gotten no better.

http://media.dorks.com/content/pic/d5282007/too_ashamed.jpg

I lost a hard drive. Reinstalled everything (OS10.5.8). Problem still persists.

Do I get a discount on CS6 since CS5 was a complete waste of my hard earned dollars, regardless of who's "fault" it is?

It's quite simple.. if the Photoshop team has written code which "calls a bug in the OS" then  why can't the Photoshop team rewrite that code to correct the issue. Illustrator seems to have no issue drawing, opening files, etc. Okay.. Illustrator CS5 on the Mac isn't 64 bit. fair enough.... Indesign has no problem using Type, drawing, or opening files.... hmmmm....

Face it.. the Photoshop team has a unique batch of code that no other developer seems to be using, and yet... yeah.. it's all Apple's fault. Suuuuuuuure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm ready to dive back into investigating this...

Does this happen with the 32bit app and the 64bit app, or just the 64bit app?

If you are experiencing the app freezing, and you live anywhere on the western half of the US (west of the rockies) - let me know.  I'd be willing to fly out so that I can work with you and your system to get a better idea of what's going on.

If possible, I'd really like to see this issue get resolved.

Thanks,

-Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this happen with the 32bit app and the 64bit app, or just the 64bit app?

For me: freezes with the 32bit app of Photoshop CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adam,

Tried 32bit and 64bit. Disabled all plug in. Cleared both Photoshop and OS font caches. Closed all panels. Still get system freezes.

Clearing the font caches helps a little bit. Or rather appears to help, but really doesn't just makes things a tad smoother for a few minutes then it's back. Same holds true with closing all Panels. Appears to help for a few moments, then back to what it was. I also get the blinking panels on the second monitor when I am able to use CS5 for anything (which honestly isn't often).

All I need do to see the issue is open and close files with Photoshop 12.0.1. Simple files, like 72ppi flat jpgs. Eventually the entire system will freeze up and sputter. If I can use it, then background it. Trying to bring it forward and open an image later almost always results in a major sputter for 30-45 minutes or more.

I did lose a hard drive this week due to unrecoverable sectors. It was my boot drive. So, naturally, I assumed that could have been the problem all along. But yesterday I tried Photoshop CS5 again with a new drive... same issue.

I've also gone so far as to wipe a drive in an internal bay and install OS10.6.3 and only the wacom driver and Creative Suite 5 Design Premium. I have the same exact issue on that OS although it seems harder to reproduce, nonetheless it's there.

MacPro 1,1

24GB RAM

2 dedicated scratch drives (not partitions)

2 nVidia 8800 GT cards

All other software has been running flawlessly on this system.

I'm considering a new MacPro. If I do that, I'd be more than happy to loan Adobe this MacPro (with a reciept of course ) which shows the issue, before I sell it.

West coast here... southern Oregon.

For what it's worth, I've also got CS5 installed on a 2.4Ghz MacBookPro (OS10.6.4) ... it seems to run absolutely fine there. But, admittedly, it's not used that much on the MacBookPro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is anybody with ati graphics getting this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearing the font caches helps a little bit. Or rather appears to help, but really doesn't just makes things a tad smoother for a few minutes then it's back.

Now that should tell you something. Do a search about the fonts issues with 10.6.x.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This system is running 10.5.8.... and as I posted. Clearing the caches only appears to help slightly for a few moments.

I'll be hard pressed to clear font caches every 2 minutes to use an application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ScottWeichert wrote:

This system is running 10.5.8.... and as I posted. Clearing the caches only appears to help slightly for a few moments.

I'll be hard pressed to clear font caches every 2 minutes to use an application.

Sorry I saw you mentioned 10.6.3. But anyway I would deactivate every font. That means even removing all fonts form the System/Library/Fonts and /Library/Fonts folder. Then delate all font caches and reboot. Then if you are still having crashes then you can be pretty sure you have eliminated the most common cause of PSCS5 crashes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate the attempt to help.

However, all that has been done several months ago with both 12.0.0 and 12.0.1. I have exhausted all efforts here. If an absolutely clean OS with nothing additional installed still shows the issue, then it's not user error. There must be something related to hardware and/or the application itself causing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines