Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CS5 freezes

New Here ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have been using PS CS5 since the trial became available. But seems CS5 responds a lot slower than CS4. Sometimes, it just freezes or slow the whole computer down when I tried to open a many-layer file. I had to force quit the application, It's really frustrated because the system responds very slow even I tried to quit PS. Once it's quite, everyting's back to normal. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks,

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 382 Replies 382
Enthusiast ,
Oct 01, 2010 Oct 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If an absolutely clean OS with nothing additional installed still shows the issue, then it's not user error. There must be something related to hardware and/or the application itself causing the issue.

An absolutely clean OS and the updates install fonts the cause problems when running PS. Adobe blames Apple and I suppose Apple blame Adobe. But it is what it is. And like I said from first hand experience and with helping others the fonts that the OS and OS updates installs I would not trust one bit. There are probably millions of us running CS5 without these crashes so if you have eliminated the biggest cause of crashes (Apple fonts) then you will need to get busy diagnosing hardware. To continue blaming this on CS5 is a waste of time. I may not use PS the same as you but for me CS5 is much more stable than CS4 ever was. But to be fare, I did have more plugins installed in CS4, It just never crashed enough to really bother diagnosing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again... I appreciate the effort. But I'm not going to argue the point.

OS install + Creative Suite Design premium should never cause a single issue. That's a baseline. If any development team isn't testing that the first day.. then they simply don't care.

I'd be willing to concede the OS may be an issue if it were a new OS, But OS 10.5.8 was out for a year before CS5 was released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS install + Creative Suite Design premium should never cause a single issue. That's a baseline. If any development team isn't testing that the first day.. then they simply don't care.

I'd be willing to concede the OS may be an issue if it were a new OS, But OS 10.5.8 was out for a year before CS5 was released.

I agree with you, but it is what it is.

My guess In the time it took to write your comments here you could have done what it takes to run CS5 successfully as others of us have, not overlooking that you may have done all this and do have a hardware issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've spent HOURS reinstalling, removing, reconfiguring hardware... literally hours. As I've posted, I've honestly exhausted all efforts and am left at the mercy of Adobe/Apple to correct whatever the issue it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've honestly exhausted all efforts and am left at the mercy of Adobe/Apple to correct whatever the issue it.

Good Luck with that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe blames Apple and I suppose Apple blame Adobe.

No, Apple is working on a fix for most of their font bugs.

Only one of the current font crashes happens in Adobe's code (and that's because an OS routine returned some bogus errors).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Adobe blames Apple and I suppose Apple blame Adobe.

No, Apple is working on a fix for most of their font bugs.

Only one of the current font crashes happens in Adobe's code (and that's because an OS routine returned some bogus errors).

Chris

Sorry, I did not mean to suggest that you guys have not identified these problem and are working with Apple. I do not expect any software to be perfect. There are always bugs and there are always workarounds. You and I both know there has been a history of Apple fonts along with other font issues probably related to OS code causing problems with Adobe applications.

I was only trying to point out that a lot of us have know this for a long time and have taken the bull by the horns and done what is necessary to mitigate these problems, regardless of who is to blame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely resent the implication that I haven not done my part. I have gone completely above and beyond what any end user should be requested to do. Including, but not limited to, submitting full System Profiler information. I'm not one to sit back and blame anyone until I'm 100% certain the issue is not mine. In this case, it's exceptionally evident that the issue is not mine. And to somehow imply that those of use who paid for the software would purposefully go the better part of year without being able to use it, is ludicrous. Believe me, if there were ANYTHING I could do here I would. But again..... as I've posted now several times.... I've done all that's been suggested.. I've wiped drives and reinstalled only the base components... I've gone WELL out of my way to try and use the software I paid for.

All the "solutions" repeated ad nausium are pointless. They do not work.. and not for just me.. but apparently several users. Rather than reposting the same old schtick... how about someone actually fix the damn issue?

Is it Blaupunkt's responsibility to correct their stereo so it doesn't cause my Challenger to sputter and stall? Or is it Dodge's responsibility to ensure that every stereo manufacturer under the sun can run their stereo? Is it the drivers fault for how he's turning the stereo on? Am I expected to hop on one leg, cluck like a chicken, and burn incense to get Photoshop CS5 to work? Seriously, it's an Adobe responsibility... just fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done all that's been suggested.. I've wiped drives and reinstalled only the base components... I've gone WELL out of my way to try and use the software I paid for and frankly... the software is ****.

All the "solutions" repeated ad nausium are pointless. They do not work.. and not for just me.. but apparently several users. Rather than reposting the same old schtick... how about someone actually fix the damn issue?

Well then by now you what bug are in the OS and maybe CS5 and how to avoid the problem they create.

So that leaves your hardware and that is your responsibility... just fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DYP,

Mr. Weichert is no beginner but a long-time, respected contributor to these forums, he has ample geek credentials and he has helped more folks than many other "regular" participants here.

You really, really need to back off.

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, it's an Adobe responsibility... just fix it.

Since none of us know the cause of the slowdown on your system, you can't say that.

The fact that millions of other users don't see the same problem would tend to indicate that it is something system specific -- but we don't know what yet.

And yes, it very well could be the responsibility of Dodge to fix their electrical system - if that really was the cause.

Of course, it won't get fixed until you take the car to the dealer so they can check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 02, 2010 Oct 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might be in the clear on this...after hours and hours of researching, tying etc.

I've followed up on sambojo's advice and upgraded to 10.6.3 (snow leopard) comming from 10.5.8. I began with deinstalling CS5. Then the upgrade to 10.6.3. I didn't do a clean install of snow leopard figuring that that could always be done afterwards. Checked the font issue again and found no reds, only some orange problems (duplicates). Sorted that out and rebooted the system. Installed Photoshop CS5 again...and guess what? No freezes up till now!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck, EBOWO. I sincerely hope you're out of the woods with it.

I tried a clean erase and install of 10.6.3 here and it didn't help me. After 20-30 minutes the freezes were back.

I've pulled the trigger on a new 2010 MacPro.....I guess this will definitively show whether it's a hardware issue or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck, EBOWO. I sincerely hope you're out of the woods with it

Thanks Scott...sorry to hear that my suggestion has already been tried by you and failed.

I've pulled the trigger on a new 2010 MacPro.....I guess this will definitively show whether it's a hardware issue or not.

Was considering the same. Considering your analogy...it's like bying a new car just for the sake of getting the car radio to work.

Anyway, i wish you good luck...and do keep us posted!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Considering your analogy...it's like bying a new car just for the sake of getting the car radio to work."

Thats just ridiculous.

To me (and mostly people around here) we bought a mac for the stability and guarantee of quality, and personally, I expend most of my time using adobe applications (Photoshop mainly of course).

Photoshop is on of the most handy applications since I can use it for quick and complete-complex works.

So if I expended a lot of money of and a lot more on Adobe applications, it illogic to think I will only waste all that money if I don´t need all that.

And Im just a normal user, there is real professionals out there that they expect their applications to run as expected, or even more, as promised.

If to you, photoshop is just and application to make fancy forum banners or to make your homework looks "professional", not to us, or at least, not to me.

All this freezing problems are also a huge wast of time on works and make me delay horrible to finish a work.

In other observation, I noticed that the freeze its JUST a freeze, it do not hang permanently my system, If I wait 1-3min the application return to normal stability, but the freezings still occurring randomly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2010 Oct 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be very careful with the advice that you get here on this form.. I spent thousands and thousands of dollars on suggestions that it was my hardware or operating system or my ram memory or my cpu, fortunately I had the money to burn and I love computer equipment so I put it to use in my business.but the real problem was Adobe and the fact that it is all new code and it prefers a 64 bit operating system that is having enough problems of its own with drivers and compatibility issues any 32bit (whatever) could cause a problem. when we are all forced to move all of our programs, hardware, code, operating-systems, to 64 bits and the truly intelligent people at Adobe have enough time to work the bugs out we will have a truly remarkable program to work with.

Until then there is no hope for smooth operation, wake up and smell the coffee has not this been the way of computers and there software from the very beginning.

If my mother and father purchased a color TV and half way through the movie the thing froze up my parants would of returned that TV the next day and the store manager would of apologized and offered somekind of discount for their inconvenience, If a number of people had the same problem that manufacture would be out of business in a matter of months.

But we on the other hand have come to just except that we are not worthy of a product that just works like it was advertised we have been conditioned to expect half baked productes sold at outrageous prices with no hope of reasonable expectations.you know I speek the truth pobox over and out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pobox119 wrote:

Be very careful with the advice that you get here on this form.. I spent thousands and thousands of dollars on suggestions that it was my hardware or operating system or my ram memory or my cpu, fortunately I had the money to burn and I love computer equipment so I put it to use in my business.but the real problem was Adobe and the fact that it is all new code and it prefers a 64 bit operating system that is having enough problems of its own with drivers and compatibility issues any 32bit (whatever) could cause a problem. when we are all forced to move all of our programs, hardware, code, operating-systems, to 64 bits and the truly intelligent people at Adobe have enough time to work the bugs out we will have a truly remarkable program to work with.

Until then there is no hope for smooth operation, wake up and smell the coffee has not this been the way of computers and there software from the very beginning.

If my mother and father purchased a color TV and half way through the movie the thing froze up my parants would of returned that TV the next day and the store manager would of apologized and offered somekind of discount for their inconvenience, If a number of people had the same problem that manufacture would be out of business in a matter of months.

But we on the other hand have come to just except that we are not worthy of a product that just works like it was advertised we have been conditioned to expect half baked productes sold at outrageous prices with no hope of reasonable expectations.you know I speek the truth pobox over and out.

20 years into their existence tv's were ALOT less reliable than that. the first color one's needed attention, on average once a month (it was common place to rent them with a service contract in the uk)

the trick with photoshop is that it has very few killer bugs- but if you hit them, they impact you hugely. reading around the forums can often get you excellent advice on equipment and conflicting software to avoid for a more reliable system.

it's more realistic to compare photoshop to the machinery in a factory, it gets the job done, but you have to stay on top of maintenance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, Photoshop relies on the OS working correctly -- and most of the current crashes in Photoshop are due to OS or driver bugs that Adobe can't do a thing about.

How many people blame their TV when the broadcast signal is bad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Also, Photoshop relies on the OS working correctly -- and most of the current crashes in Photoshop are due to OS or driver bugs that Adobe can't do a thing about.

How many people blame their TV when the broadcast signal is bad?

yep, sadly os bugs will always be there, "that's why cars have seatbelts"

and when i said "killer bugs" i should have said "gotchas" because yes, most of these big ones are conflicts with updates rather than bugs on adobe's side, but as a user, i don't care about the details, i just want it to go away ;-D

...say, if you guys could finally crack creating a recoverable history, i think that'd be a game changer ;-D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if you guys could finally crack creating a recoverable history, i think that'd be a game changer ;-D

We've actually got some ideas, but it's nowhere near as easy as it sounds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, do you represent Adobe?

That is thin ice you're walking on. Many people would blame their tvs if they're not getting reception.

You don't send a PAL tape to an station that broadcasts NTSC and expect the viewers to be fine with the fact that they can't watch the program they purchased because you sent a format that doesn't work with their provider.

You make sure that it is fomatted correctly and will be compatible with the broadcaster before you send it out and charge the customer for it.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your comments about Mr Cox are way off base here as well as your suppositions and analogies are way off base.

If you had done any research on this subject you would know that Mr Cox is right, and those of us that have done the maintenance required by the bugs in the OS to run CS5 flawlessly know he is right. I am sure Mr Cox has seen hundreds (if not more) of crash reports and if you would have bothered to look at the crash reports posted here or the reports from users who have corrected their problems with CS5 you would know where these problem are coming from. And for that matter CS4 has many of these same problem with 10.6.x if certain maintenance is not done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You make sure that it is fomatted correctly and will be compatible with the broadcaster before you send it out and charge the customer for it.

By that analogy Photoshop is the TV, and some third parties are causing interference, or broadcasting a mistimed signal.

We work hard to fix our bugs - but there are always things outside of our control. We try to get those fixed, but they aren't things we can fix directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth... new MacPro... so far (15 hours) no issues. That's 15 times longer than I could run Photoshop CS5 on the previous MacPro before hitting an issue.

Also updated the WACOM driver on the new system today. Advanced GL on....  It's fast, responsive and yet to cause a system freeze. I do still get panel flashing on the secondary monitor though. Annoying as hell, but not really a work hinderance. I am only driving 2 monitors at the present. I must wait until Friday for an adapter in order to drive all 3 of my monitors. (wish there was an Apple store nearby.)

So... nVidia card? Dual cards? Possibly the issue? Wacom driver?

I've got the old MacPro sitting and I can now easily remove hardware etc to test.... but I don't have an unactivated copy of Photoshop CS5 to run on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 14, 2010 Oct 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's strange Scott we always have very different results from each other with the same software and hardware.

use the same MacPro as you were using and haven't had one performance issue with CS 5 and I use photoshop for hours at a time almost everyday and wok with files that are generally 100 MB-200MB all the time an though most is just photomerging  and layer adjustments for curves and hue/saturation there is often extensive retouching and I haven't had even one problem.

Of course I think you may have a lot of plug ins I do not use but then as we know there is a difference between your experience and my experience with Photoshop CS 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines