Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

photoshop eraser not working

Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Perhaps I am missing something really simple here, however the eraser tool and other methods of getting to transaperency are not working. Perhaps it is a problem with locked background colours or something, however my eraser tool is defaulted to erase to white not transparent - see picture. Please can you help me out??

have tried ctrl+shift+alt at start up to restore to factory settings, and even uninstalled and reinstalled the program, but no luck. also when i go to refine edge after a quick selection, there's no transparent option

please help!!! have been on this for some time not being able to figure it out

also im working with .png file not jpeg

thanks for your time

huey

adobe eraser tool qs.PNG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

I had the same problem, and after an hour of troubleshooting (resetting tools, resetting all tools, selecting different brushes, tips, etc.), I realized my mistake.

I had enlarged my project to a very high scale, and in so doing, I did not realize that I had previously Selected a small portion of my project with the Magic Wand Tool.  For some reason, I have had a difficult time Deselecting this tool...opening other tools, clicking outside the border of my project, etc. I can eventually get there,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels and the Options Bar visible?

Also of the Photoshop > Preferences > Transparency & Gamut dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Thanks for your prompt response

here is a thread that may be of relevance - http://forums.adobe.com/thread/735397

am i deleting to white, how do i change this?

Here is the image (full screen). in the image in my earlier post, you can see the white little box next to the eraser tool

thanks for your time

hueyps - full screen shot.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to respond to soon after the initial post, however there's an extra detail. Perhaps there is something funny with the default start up file, because when I launch photoshop, it starts with the eraser tool if I close with the eraser tool selected. Is this odd or usual? Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it starts with the eraser tool if I close with the eraser tool selected. Is this odd or usual?

That’s as it should be.

Have you tried using another Brush Tip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your prompt response

Yes I have tried different brush tip, same result though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And am still unable to get the eraser to transparent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Are you able to tell me how to restore ps to factory settings if we can't find a solution to it? 

That may be an easier solution?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per your initial post you have already trashed the prefs by keeping command-alt-shift/ctrl-alt-shift pressed while starting Photoshop, haven’t you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had tried that but couldn't get the prompt to reset all preferences.

Tried it again and it's solved everything

thanks for your help and apologies for any lost time due to that oversight

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’re welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem, and after an hour of troubleshooting (resetting tools, resetting all tools, selecting different brushes, tips, etc.), I realized my mistake.

I had enlarged my project to a very high scale, and in so doing, I did not realize that I had previously Selected a small portion of my project with the Magic Wand Tool.  For some reason, I have had a difficult time Deselecting this tool...opening other tools, clicking outside the border of my project, etc. I can eventually get there, but when I switched over to my Eraser Tool, the Magic Wand Selection was still active. When this Magic Wand Selection is still active, the ERASER WILL NOT WORK!!!

The solution is as simple as CTRL-D to Deselect the active Magic Wand Selection, and then the eraser will start to work.

I felt so silly once I realized what I had done, but the relief of being able to get back to work far outweighed the shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I came here to say this! I've done this too haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2021 Jan 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was my exact mistake, thank you for saving me a LOT of time and headache!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines