• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop Keyboard Shortcut Issue

Participant ,
Jun 23, 2022 Jun 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I've noticed lately that in photoshop as I am using keyboard shortcuts, I have to hit the key at least twice in order for it to actually work. Often times I find myself jumping between the brush and erase tools and it is really annoying that they don't select those tools the first time and I find myself erasing and then undoing that erase because it didn't switch tools when it should have. It seems to be totally random, sometimes it works just the way it should, other times it doesn't.

I am on a Macbook M1 Pro with OS 12.3.1 and Photoshop version 23.4.1. I also am using the magic keyboard.

Thanks for any help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would try resetting your preferences. Press Command+K then click "Reset Preferences on Quit"

Hope that helps!
mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

Given that deleting prefs has such massive consequences as regards setup, it takes me days to get things back to normal, it would be great if PS had a secondary method to save down customisations to your workspace and tools. That way the main prefs could be refreshed and things returned to normal more quickly. At the moment deleting prefs is an absolutely last resort for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2022 Jun 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm the same way with preferences, last resort. It's amazing how many issues are tied to prefs that you would think they would come up with a better way to do things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the preferences seem to get corrupt in many Adobe apps, and clearing them usually proves useful.

You can EXPORT your preferences (File>Export>Export Preferences...)

then you can remove them, and see if it fixes your issue. Then you can try reimporting preferences and see if the issue still remains. 

hope this helps!
Mark

Consulting | Design | Motion | Training>headTrix, Inc. | Adobe Certified Training & Consulting<br />Consulting | Design | Development | Training

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark,

I can't see a way to export preferences there. Surely that's where you set up the prefs for the "Quick export". No?

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mark@headTrix and @BigEricUSA Yes, File > Export > Export Preferences brings up settings for exporting images, not for exporting all your settings in Preferences. But users can back up their existing Photoshop Preferences before a reset and restore them after. Instructions for doing that are here:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess they changed something in the new update. IK have. 23.3.2 and its located there.
I assume they may have changed  it? I know Exporting/Importing Presets is under Edit>Presets>Export/Import Presets... wonder if they moved it there? Saturday night, Im headed out...  so not updating just yet. Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 10.03.42 PM.png

sorry it didnt help!!

Best,
Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I think I read that just days ago from another person.

On a PC it's often cos we didn't press Escape first, but Mac doesn't have that, AFAIK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Do you have access to another keyboard? It might be helpful to see if, by plugging into another keyboard, if you are having hte same issue.

Also are you running in Rosetta?

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely not the keyboard. I have tried another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens on the bluetooth keyboard and macbook keyboard. I don't have a problem with other applications and keys not working, like typing this right now, keys are just fine. I am not running in Rosetta.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe there is a known issue with the M1 and keyboard shortcuts.  You are certainly not the first person to ask about it

P: Shortcuts don't work anymore after upgrade to M... - Adobe Support Community - 12549109

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine seems photoshop specific but I'll take a look around in that thread and see if there's anything that might help me out. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2022 Jul 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely not a problem of M1, I'm working on MacPro early 2009 and have the same problem. I also have a Mac Pro late 2013 and I don't have the problem there. Strange isn't it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm definitely seeing this since 23.4.1! I'm on a very old 5,1 Mac running Big Sur.

Two workarounds I found, neither very satisfactory: 1) "Stab" the keyboard very quickly. I find the tool selects first time. 2) Turn on "Sticky keys" in Prefs -> Accessibility. Go to advanced settings and make the delay as short as possible. This works well in PS but means that the delete key in a Word Processing document, for instance, deletes very slowly when held down. It's quicker to delete a couple of words by repeatedly hitting the key.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm not alone in experiencing this bug! 🙂 Let's hope it gets fixed as it's properly anoying.

S

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this, as well. I hit a keyboard shortcut, for a tool, and Photoshop jumps it back to the previous tool. It's not consistent; maybe, once out of every 10 times. I've reset my preferences. I'm on an iMac, Mac OS 12.4. I've rolled back to 23.3.2.

Thanks, in advance, for looking into this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an experiment you could go to Photoshop>Preferences>Tools, uncheck Spring-loaded Tool Shortcuts, restart photoshop and see if that makes any difference.

slts.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just rolled my PS Preferences folder back a couple of months using my TimeMachine backup and it seems to have fixed things. Hopefully it won't take too long to get my setup back to normal...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2022 Jun 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke too soon... The behavior's back already...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the problem on my mac!!!
So I'm working on a Mac Pro and going to:
- Library
- Preferences
- Adobe Photoshop 2022 Settings
- and delete the file: tw0001

Problem was solved after that.
Hope this works for you too

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't imagine how you tracked it down to that particular file! Extremely well done 🙂

It's definitely cured things in the immediate term. Hope it lasts!

Many thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for sharing the solution you found with the community! I am sure this will be helpful to many people.

Michelle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately the cure doesn't last long for me. Behaviour is back again, even after the recent update...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 04, 2022 Jul 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe when tyou restart your computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines