Photoshop repeatedly crashing on startup

New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop has been instantly closing upon start-up for over a month now. The farthest it gets is the screen showing recent documents. It just closes without any explanation or pop up. Here are the things I've already tried:

-restarted the app

-restarted my computer

-made sure the app is up to date and have tried switching to older versions of the app

-made sure that my computer and windows 11 is up to date 

-reset preferences in photoshop

-uninstalled and reinstalled the app

-used the creative cloud cleaner tool

-other things that I don't remember

The problems is still unsolved. Also, all of my other programs like illustrator still work fine. Recently, Photoshop has been working 1/5 times but that's way too unreliable to be usable. What can I do to solve this?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Photoshop crashes, this is the first thing to do, try resetting your Photoshop preferences. Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) immediately after launching Photoshop. You will be prompted to delete the current settings. You can also reset preferences upon a quit if Photoshop is running by going into General Preferences>General>Reset on Quit.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder*, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

This action only affects the items found in the preferences dialog box. Numerous program settings are stored in the Adobe Photoshop Preferences file, including general display options, file-saving options, performance options, cursor options, transparency options, type options, and options for plug‑ins and scratch disks. Brushes (and lots of other setting) are not affected by the above instructions for deleting preferences. You may wish to make a screen capture of the settings in the Preferences dialog to reset them prior to deleting of this file.

Also: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

*To manually delete Photoshop preferences:
Quit Photoshop.
Navigate to Photoshop's Preferences folder:
MacOS**: Users/[user name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings
Windows 10: Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings

**Note:
The user Library folder is hidden by default on macOS. In the Finder, hold down the Option key when using the Go menu. Library will appear below the current user's home directory. Now you can drag the entire Adobe Photoshop [Version] Settings folder to the desktop or somewhere safe for a back-up of your settings

If that doesn't fix the issue:
Go to Preferences > Performance... and uncheck Multithreaded Compositing - and restart Photoshop.
Still crashing? 
Go to Preferences > Performance... click Advanced Settings... and uncheck "GPU Compositing" - then restart Photoshop. Still crashing? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2022 Sep 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences worked for a few days, but I am back to crashing over and over again. I have reset preferences many more times and I have also turned off multi threaded compositing. It still crashes repeatedly on launch. When I click on advanced settings for gpu, I don't get the option that you mentioned. I did however try unchecking "use gpu processor" and that didn't solve the issue. Photoshop also doesnt launch the crash report window whenver this happens, so I can't submit reports. I used the "REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\CommonFiles\CRLog /v "Never Ask" /t REG_SZ /d 0" command but nothing changed.

What else can I do? Would it help if I sent a reliability history report in the forum?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences worked for a few days, but I am back to crashing over and over again. I have reset preferences many more times and I have also turned off multi threaded compositing. It still crashes repeatedly on launch.

Why are the preferences getting corrupted over and over again? Sounds like some disk/HD/permission issue. 

Reset again. Ensure PS doesn't crash. Make a backup of the set preferences that work. At the very least, copy it over to the right location if PS crashes again but the question is, what's going on with your HD that hoses the prefs over and over again? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the preferences hasn't been working at all anymore, even right after resetting. Unless it is getting corrupted literally the instance after it is being reset then I wonder if the problem lies elsewhere. Also, I don't know how to answer your question on what's going on with my HD. I don't have problems with anything other than photoshop.  If you suspect any common disk/HD/permission issues let me know.

For context, photoshop will work properly and not instantly crash seemingly at random. Even if I touch nothing, I might try opening it ten times and it'll work 1/10 times for some reason. Even though I suspect that preferences arent the issue, I tried what you said. On one of the lucky times that it worked, I saved a copy of there preferences. The next time few times I opened it, it wouldn't work again even when I brought in the saved preferences. What else can be done? Again, would it be helpful to bring in crash reports? if so, how do I do that (sorry I've tried searching it up but haven't seen anything)?  

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try rolling back a version or two; any difference? 

If you wish to roll back to an older version, use the Creative Cloud application, click on the three dots (...) and select “Other Versions”.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, I'm pretty sure resetting preferences is the solution. That was the last thing I did before I sent this post on the forum. It still crashed right after I quit Photoshop and started it up again, but a few minutes later and it is working even though I haven't touched anything since then. Still, thanks for the response!

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is an old post and I spoke way too soon. the issue is not fixed

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, it didn't fix the problem. There have already been new updates for photoshop since this post, but this issue is still here? Anything else I can do other than wait (which would be ridiculous btw)?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 30, 2022 Sep 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you go to Photoshop Help Menu/System Info and copy/paste the details here?

There could be a number of issues happening including graphics card related, RAM, HD space, Scratch disk etc.

Sending us your specs helps point us in the right direction instead of taking shots in the dark. 

Kevin Stohlmeyer
Adobe Community Professional/Adobe Certified Instructor

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines