• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop won't recognize tablet pen pressure. Have tried everything. Help?

Community Beginner ,
Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop suddenly stopped recognizing pen pressure from my tablet yetsterday.

I'm using a Wacom Bamboo Connect tablet on a Windows 8 computer with Photoshop CS6

I've tried:

1. uninstalling the drivers

2. checking wintab files were gone from system32 and sysWOW64

3. restarting

4. reinstalling drivers

5. checking new wintab files are present

6. restarting

I updated photoshop (and repeated those 5 steps), reinstalling the drivers as an admin, reset the paintbrush tool, but no matter what I do, when I go to the Shape Dynamics option in Photoshop, I get the triangle with the exclamation point telling me that I need a pressure sensitive tablet.

I've tried plugging the tablet in and then opening photoshop.

I've tried opening Photoshop and then plugging in the tablet.

I updated the drivers for all of the hardware on my computer.

I've tried the pressure sensitivity in two other (non Adobe) programs and it works there, so it doesn't seem like a problem with the tablet itself.

I've tried every solution I could find online but none of them seem to be working for me. Any advice?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Feb 09, 2015 Feb 09, 2015

I'd just like to point out to everyone if you're having trouble, just insert your tablet into a different USB slot. I literally just changed my Wacom from the back of my tower to the front of my tower and suddenly the warning on pen pressure vanishes and it works fine.

It could be a case of your computer and photoshop just not communicating very well.

Another win to SAI.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2017 Mar 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to chime in that turning checking the "use windows ink" button and changing my document from 8 to 32 bit color fixed pressure and tilt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Today I discovered how to fix the Pen Pressure using the latest Wacom tablets with Windows 10 and not having to enable the terrible Windows INK.

WinTab is no longer a service in windows 10 nor does wacom use it.

Set your PSUserConfig to:

# Use Wacom Professional Service

UseSystemStylus 0

screenshot.719.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks polysculpture​, the PSUserConfig.txt trick worked for me, without the Windows Ink cruft

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont understand a thing, where is this file? or where do I create and put it?

None of the 20ish solutions here has worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2023 Feb 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cant believe this is still a problem in 2023.

This was my solution, thank you for sharing this.

Here is a link how to do the PSUserConfig

https://chocolate-rebel.tumblr.com/post/173090525500/fixing-photoshop-with-psuserconfig

you basically create a txt file and place it in this folder:

C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2023\Adobe Photoshop 2023 Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Omg I've been trying to solve this for two days and this finally fixed it. I'd almost given up on this solution because another thread instructed to put a "1" instead of "0". Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HERE IS THE FIX:

(Finally after wasting countless hours on this)

1) TURN ON "WINDOWS INK" ON YOUR WACOM

2) OPEN START MENU AND SEARCH "PEN AND TOUCH"

3) UNDER "PEN ACTIONS" THERE WILL BE AN OPTION CALLED "PRESS AND HOLD." DOUBLE CLICK IT.

4) THERE WILL BE A TICK ON "ENABLE PRESS AND HOLD FOR RIGHT CLICKING" ON TOP. TURN THAT OFF.

Step 1 is to enable communications between the tablet and the computer (for sensitivity). If this does not fix your sensitivity then:

1) Make sure you have the latest drivers

2) Try re-plugging in your Wacom into another USB slot.

If you have Windows 10, then the OS will have an annoying feature that overrides the tablet. This is where steps 2-4 come in handy. It's very annoying when you are trying to draw and Photoshop doesn't pick it up because your tablet is tricking it into thinking that you want to right click even though all you did was hold the pen in place or draw only slightly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2017 Mar 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This method does not work well. Windows Ink adds noticeable lag to many programs including Photoshop and sculpting programs like zbrush. Even with press and hold and all of the windows settings off, the wacom pen still behaves strangely and if you click and hold on things, you still get a ring, but no actions. I am happily using my wacom with photoshop with windows ink off with the method I outlined above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 26, 2017 Mar 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not an option in the Creator's Update.  Anyone know a workaround in the Creator's Update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a weird problem with my photoshop, pressure sensitivity works fine but for some reason sometimes it pans instead of actually drawing and it keep flicking between panning and drawing and i've tried everything and nothing seems to fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2018 May 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my saviour. I got it to work by using windows ink eventually but found myself unable to draw at all, thanks to this stupid setting.

Edit: Or maybe not. I can not draw verically, only horizontally. I have no idea why this is like that, but as soon as i disable windows ink, it works fine again. However then i dont have any pressure for my brushes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Plugging into a different USB port and restarting Photoshop worked for me! Thanks neosymphony!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok, i am using photoshop cs5.5 and an hp pavilion x2 with a stylus that works just fine with everything else even draws great with photoshop but it doesn't have pen pressure on photoshop like it does with everything else. how can i fix it? ive tried everything that has been said in this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An unexpected solution was found when I enabled Windows Ink on my settings, now it is working fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand. you mean put the driver on USB? ?? What's NIB?? sorry...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing nib didn't work, window ink etc didn't, this did Screenshot - 4ca0825da64218619742da0f339ec1a4 - Gyazo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow this all stopped working for the newest version of photoshop the 2019 edition.

does someone has a solution for it?

there isn't a PSUserConfig.txt file inside the 2019 edition folder.

the 2018 edition still works fine tho.

Hope someone can help out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Huion 1060 wouldn't work with PS 2019 CC for me - even after trying all the tricks laid out by you guys here in this forum..

Nevertheless, the following page FINALLY SOLVED my problem!

A previous reply talked about this text file but didn't specify where to save it or what it's for - that's where the following link comes in

Take a look !

Tablet support for Photoshop on Windows 8

(if the link doesn't work in the future, I'll quickly lay out the procedure:)

1) create text file in notepad (or similar text editor)

2) type the following: "UseSystemStylus 0"

3) save it as a ".txt" file (plain text file) named "PSUserConfig.txt" into the folder:

"C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings"

(either copy this link into the explorer and insert your username or go to the path manually, which will require you to enable to show "Hidden Items" in the explorer ("View" tab) to see the folder AppData.

Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, this is the key. I was just about to post a video showing this solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2019 May 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This definitely worked for me.

Photoshop 20.0.4

Wacom Intuos 4

1) create text file in notepad (or similar text editor)

2) type the following: "UseSystemStylus 0"

3) save it as a ".txt" file (plain text file) named "PSUserConfig.txt" into the folder:

"C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings"

(either copy this link into the explorer and insert your username or go to the path manually, which will require you to enable to show "Hidden Items" in the explorer ("View" tab) to see the folder AppData.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everybody, instead of saying "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings" and replacing the user profile name, you can always use %appdata% to go to your profile's \Appdata\Roaming folder. This also works if your system drive is not C:

%appdata%\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 Settings

Always share paths like this. That way, people can copy/paste them easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2020 May 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely it!! For Photoshop 2020, this is the path:

%appdata%\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Adobe Photoshop 2020 Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2018 Dec 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont use windows, so I dont have the INK thing. How to fix on MAC (10.14)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i cant believe this worked i was struggling so hard with this thank you so much 🙂

[abuse removed by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pen pressure with photoshop was working fine and it suddenly stopped! and it still works on other applications (illustrator and toonboom)
I tried all the comments and turned off the windows ink, uninstalled photoshop and the wacom app with all preferences and re-installed them still not working!
It was working fine a couple of days ago!
Also did that trick of the PSUserConfig.txt still not working!
Please help..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines